Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus tdci titanium 1.6 2009

Adamfocus91

Hello I made a post earlier regarding my Ford Focus tdci titanium 1.6 2009 but I can't Seem to find it so please I am asking for anyone's help and I'm every so grateful for any replys guys, so my Ford Focus has developed a knocking noise coming from around the engine area, I had a mechanic tell me I need a new engine which I am dreading he is wrong, when I turn the ignition the car starts up and I get a ticking/knocking noise and when I rev the ticking/knocking noise gets louder, also with my foot on the accelerator whilst revving it feels like it's vibrating, I have also noticed two of my injectors I think I have four are leaking to make matters worse, the mechanic told me not to drive it, my warrenty covers me for up to £2450 would this be enough to fix? Somebody please help me out thank you so much, I have tried uploading videos to help but I can't manage to do so, thanks again adam

Injectors leaking will need replaced n tbh mate there not cheap.

when cars ticking over hold the injectors down a bit see if noise improves if does defo gone.

if leaking though I would replace,as for knocking if it smells also I suggest timeing belt how many miles it done?

timeing belt should be 10 year or 120 thousand miles 

if the injectors are letting diesel seep up around where they go into the head, you can sometimes fix this by doing them up a bit tighter , BUT NOT TOO TIGHT, if you  snap the bolts, strip threads you will be in really big trouble.  On my 1.6tdci (twin cam 16 valve, not sure if your is that or single cam 8 valve) all four started to leak at different times and they all lasted at least another 20k miles are doing them up a bit tighter without leaking again. when they leak they sometimes also make a chuiffing sound

but the knocking is something else. hard to say. could be something serious like main bearings or big ends, but might not be. diagnosing a knock over the internet is impossible

Ok thanks for your help I just tried this out and it's still making the ticking/ knocking noise regardless if I hold the injectors down or not, but it does smell,  when you say not cheap how much? It's done 96121 and it's a 09 plate, 

Hi isetta thanks for the reply I really appreciate it, I'm sorry but I don't not much about cars I'm afraid I know it has four injectors if I'm right by saying two of them have no leakage but the other two are tricking diesel/oil out, I got told by a mechanic could possible be the cam shaft or big ends, what's the price of a possible fix of this? As my warrenty covers me for £2450, am I in the clear? Or is the car game over thanks a lot again for your help 

Has the car been low on engine oil recently or you have noticed that it has been needing more frequent topping up? Does the noise speed up when you rev the engine a bit when stationary and is it always present when driving or only when you put your foot down? Big end bearings produce a metallic knock when they are badly worn and are generally more noticeable under load and the engine is warmed up and the oil pressure drops a bit as the oil thins. Any signs of the oil light coming on after a drive and engine revs returning to idle.

These engines are prone to injector problems as others comment. The copper seals fail (due to lose retaining nuts amongst other things) and results in the familiar chuffing sound and a noticeable smell of diesel and fumes. The only way to deal with them is replacement and possibly getting the washer seats refurbished ( within your budget). If you feel you can't trust your mechanic friend get a second opinion and ask what they think the problem is and a likely cost to resolve it. Don't go mad driving it until you have a positive diagnosis. Big end failure isn't anything like as common as it used to be just as long as you keep an eye on your oil level. Hope it turns out to be something minor.

Thanks focusoap I have videos so you guys could possible get a sense of the noise but I can't upload them for some reason, but I'll try explain so here it goes...  when I turn the car over there is a constant ticking/knocking noise and then when I rev the noise gets louder... 

it started on a drive to Brighton to pick up the misses new car and I dreaded to drive it back to Gatwick, where I live,   it made it home just didn't seem to have a lot of power and I was driving in 5th as I noticed the higher the gear the quieter the ticking/knocking would be..  as the oil level goes there's no problem with it what so ever that I can tell from so far nor the oil light on the dashboard, thanks for all the help though I really do appreciate it. Taking it to the local garage tomorrow and see what they say will keep everyone updated thanks again guys  

could be the cam chain tensioner, or even the crank damper pulley breaking up.

I need advice would anyone advice me to not drive it or drive 5miles to the garage? As I do not know how bad the problem actually is thanks guys again 

1 hour ago, Adamfocus91 said:

I need advice would anyone advice me to not drive it or drive 5miles to the garage?

Hard to say for sure. If it is the cam chain tensioner as Ian suggests, then if it does disintegrate, it could wreck the engine. On the other hand if it is crank pulley or big ends, then a few more miles will make little difference. As you have driven it from Brighton to Gatwick, then I think I would risk the trip to the garage, if it sounded no worse. But keep the revs down, and the throttle to minimum opening. It is not the gear itself that matters to the engine, it is the revs & torque.

On that note, cam chain or belt noise would get worse with higher revs, but would not change much with torque (throttle opening). Big end noise is usually very torque dependent.

Cam chain problems will be a bit expensive, as it will probably mean a new timing belt and various related bits, unless that has been done very recently and is in perfect condition. Crank pulley does not sound like a very big job. Big ends might be the end of the engine. But that is unusual.

The 1.6TDCI does benefit from frequent oil changes, like 6 months / 6000 miles. If the oil change interval has been long, then oil-ways in and to the crankshaft can get blocked. That would damage big end bearings, and other bits.

As said above, visible injector leaks do not seem linked to the knocking, and are often caused by leaking seals on the injectors, rather than the injectors themselves. Seal replacement is not ruinously expensive.

• Like 1

Thanks tdci-peter I managed to drive it to the garage this morning so awaiting there reply hopefully it's not to bad news, will keep everyone updated , as I drove it to the garage I still had ticking/knocking noise like you said the higher the revs the louder it got and as I had to climb a small hill I also noticed the throttle pedal vibrating, but as I went down the hill I put the car in neutral and could only hear a ticking noise, it only seems to make a knocking noise when throttle is used,  far as I know the chains never been replaced and it's got full service history with oil changed frequent aswell,  thanks for the reply I really appreciate everyone's help will keep everyone updated 

• Like 1

I'd recommend you get this looked at pretty soon being a MK2 1.6TDCi injector leaks/turbo failures are common on these engines and could cause your engine to run away on its own oil if not seen to.

I know, I had it happen to mine. Not a pretty sight.

Thanks for the reply dj Andy m, reading through the forums I've heard not the best of things about these engines, it's my first time with a diesel asevery car I've owned has been a ford but a petrol and I never once experienced a problem hence why I brought a Focus tdci but just an update to everyone on this thread l, my cars been taken to the garage and is being looked at on Thursday Friday so I'll keep everyone updated with the bad news lol thanks guys for your help once again 

• Like 1

Fingers crossed for you mate it's not to expensive 

• Like 1

CAM CHAIN OR BELT?  If you have a twin cam 16valve 1.6tdci it will have a belt from the crankshaft up to one camshaft. it then has a short chain from that camshaft to the other camshaft.  If it is the single cam 8 valve 1.6tdci then just belt, no chain.  I am not sure what year they changed from the twincam 16valve to the single cam 8 valve. 

twin cam has the fuel injectors in between the two camshafts. single cam has injectors behind the camshaft (I think)

He's got the dreaded DV6 16v PSA engine.

21 hours ago, DJ_Andy_M said:

injector leaks/turbo failures are common on these engines and could cause your engine to run away on its own oil if not seen to.

I know, I had it happen to mine. Not a pretty sight.

. . . . . but probably the best thing that could happen to one of those engines. :ph34r:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello sorry guys for the late update reply as information on my car has been nearly 2 weeks since it went in the garage, so like I was reading yes I did own the dreaded DV6 16V PSA ENGINE and the big ends has gone if that makes sense to anyone on here? The pistons are completely ruined and I need a engine rebuild or 2nd option is cheaper is to put a new engine (2nd hand) one in, absolutely devastated about this as I only purchased the car 3months 3weeks,  it had full service history from the get go,  luckily it had 3 months warrenty and it broke down 2 days before the warrenty ran out luckily for me, although I have to wait on there decision wether they will pay out of not, thanks guys for your help once again I guess the bad reviews on a Ford Focus 1.6 tdci dv6 16v psa engines are realible. Thanks again Adam 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Adamfocus91 said:

it had full service history from the get go,  luckily it had 3 months warrenty and it broke down 2 days before the warrenty ran out luckily for me, although I have to wait on there decision wether they will pay out of not

Usually it breaks 2 days after the warranty expires, so you had a bit of luck there smile.png, mixed in with all the bad stuff.

Unfortunately "full service history" is practically meaningless, especially if it has been serviced at a dealer, of unknown, and probably dubious, reputation. The big problem seems to be that Ford's own schedule is no good, the oil change needs to be a lot more frequent than the schedule, 6 months or 6k miles by most accounts. Especially as the miles and years clock up a bit on the car. Carbon build-up in the oilways is a major problem on these engines if the oil changes are less frequent, and this will lead to big end wear, main bearing wear, and gummed up pistons. That sounds like what happened to you.

I think there is some unfairness in the complete condemnation of this engine, there are examples of ones that have lasted well. I seem to recall @isetta had one, and found it to be a good car. There are also plenty of accounts of problems with other engines, like the 1l ecoboost destroying itself in an instant due to a faulty cooling hose or pipe. Bad news spreads, good news gets soon forgotten.

I hope it gets resolved in a good way.

7 hours ago, Tdci-Peter said:

Bad news spreads, good news gets soon forgotten.

Agree with that.  There was a thread on here a while back with a few defending this engine based on their own experience, including me.  10 years old, just coming up to 130k miles, original turbo, clutch etc and going as strong (even better) than when I got it.  Prevention is the aim with DPF and EGR sorted out a few years ago and regular oil changes, though more like 8k intervals in my case.

• Like 1

I will be most intrigued to see how your warranty out come is. I purchased an extended warranty for mine, and the wrote the whole claim off in an instant due to there being carbon build up on the turbo thanks to a small little clause in the terms and conditions.

I fought for a year to try and get them to over turn this to no avail.

So good luck!

Hi to everyone reading and thanks for your comments finally got this sorted and this is the outcome... warrentywise my warrenty provider have agreed to pay £2450 towards the cost of a reconditioned engine as the bill came in at £3550 plus vat so £1150 out of pocket unfortunately but least my focus will be back on the road within 2weeks. As confirmed the big end was the problem thanks again guys 

• Like 2

Prevention is the aim with DPF and EGR sorted out a few years ago and regular oil changes, though more like 8k intervals in my case.

In what way 'sorted out'?

"No comment" will be plainly understood, you realise. [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

On 8/11/2017 at 7:55 PM, Phil21185 said:

In what way 'sorted out'?

"No comment" will be plainly understood, you realise. emoji6.png

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

No comment :smile:.  Can recommend the great outfit who did this for me (have done several time son this forum), best thing my Focus has seen since the day it was built. 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club