Jump to content
Do Not Sell My Personal Information


Broken USB port


jbrw
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi there,

I've just purchased a Ford Focus diesel estate MK3. Titanium

Within the centre armrest storage area (between the 2 front seats), there is a USB and Aux in socket bay. The USB port seems to be wrecked.

Can you get a replacement part for this, does anyone know?

Thanks.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, jbrw said:

Hi there,

I've just purchased a Ford Focus diesel estate MK3. Titanium

Within the centre armrest storage area (between the 2 front seats), there is a USB and Aux in socket bay. The USB port seems to be wrecked.

Can you get a replacement part for this, does anyone know?

Thanks.

 

Sorry should have said, the USB socket is within the centre console storage area.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You would need to buy the entire unit as that USB port is connected to a fly wire which they actually unplug to then connect to a computer to perform system updates.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can you dismantle the USB port at all and see the wiring connections? It may be a broken solder joint if the USB port just doesn't work but is physically OK. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the replies.

I've discovered that this part is called the 'media hub' and there are parts available but not sure if this is the plastic cover rather than electronic connection. I can't see a way of removing the hub but will unscrew the whole centre console and see if I can fix with a solder which is probably cheaper.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


In what way does it "not work"?
When I (recently) got my MK3 the usb would read anything I tried to plug in, then I noticed the USB drives weren't fully inserting. Turns out there was some crud in the USB socket (I guess they are prone to it being upward facing).
I didn't want to go looking around in a "live" socket so looked to disconnect it first.
The plastic plate that the USB socket and audio jack are mounted on actually just pries up out of the center console. The wires are short though so be wary!

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 18/07/2017 at 4:38 PM, jbrw said:

Thanks for the replies.

I've discovered that this part is called the 'media hub' and there are parts available but not sure if this is the plastic cover rather than electronic connection. I can't see a way of removing the hub but will unscrew the whole centre console and see if I can fix with a solder which is probably cheaper.

The hub is the little black box that contains the usb port, sd card port and if you're lucky the rca inputs. Connected to the back of that is another usb type lead which is also used for software updates. Its a little bit like an OTG cable I guess.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks 

Have removed the plastic plate and the usb connection is broken. I think someone has forced a plug into it and mangled the connection at some point. 

There is a Line In socket for audio next to it which is probably fine. 

I guess I need a new lead but it doesnt look standard.

Does anyone know where I can get one?  

 

1500575257098577083899.jpg

20170720_193109.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hm. Looking at that makes me want to get my repair kit out and straighten it!

Alternatively if a replacement is expensive / hard to come by and if you're reasonably skilled with a soldering iron, you could just replace the female USB socket. 

Just cut the cable with a tail left on the old socket. Strip the tail and check the wire colours on it the just copy for the new socket. Should only be 4 wires.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/21/2017 at 11:06 PM, Phil21185 said:

Hm. Looking at that makes me want to get my repair kit out and straighten it!

Alternatively if a replacement is expensive / hard to come by and if you're reasonably skilled with a soldering iron, you could just replace the female USB socket. 

Just cut the cable with a tail left on the old socket. Strip the tail and check the wire colours on it the just copy for the new socket. Should only be 4 wires.

Slight issue though. The port is moulded into the plastic so that it marries with the trim that sits on top.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


I'll have a look at my USB port tomorrow if I get a chance and see if there is anything I can recommend [emoji106]

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...

 

On 7/20/2017 at 7:31 PM, jbrw said:

Thanks 

Have removed the plastic plate and the usb connection is broken. I think someone has forced a plug into it and mangled the connection at some point. 

There is a Line In socket for audio next to it which is probably fine. 

I guess I need a new lead but it doesnt look standard.

Does anyone know where I can get one?  

 

1500575257098577083899.jpg

20170720_193109.jpg

Is there any updates on this? I have the exact same issue. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is it this one?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F113286300578

I would pop into your local Ford parts department and see if the usb port can be bought on it's own. They might be able to tell you where it can be disconnected too.

It's hard to tell from the eBay pics if the wire unclips from the usb or if the usb port is a permanent moulded part of the cable. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Forums


News


Membership