Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Washer Bottle

cyb

It seems as quite a few people are having problems with their washer jets and although I think its safe to say we should be using a heavy (maybe 100%) solution of screen wash I don’t think much of Fords forward thinking :blink:

…sticking the washer bottle right at the front of the car so the cold air hits it freezing the water! :(

Would it not make more sense to have the bottle near the bulk head which would mean shorter pipes and less chance of them freezing and the bottle would warm up from the engine heat?

My wife’s motor does have the washer bottle behind the engine and suffers less from freezing. :)

My screenwash ratio is probably around 50/50 right now. It's just the nozzles that get iced up that's the problem.

I agree - the positioning seems a bit weird. Though I think the recent night-time temperatures would freeze it no matter where it's positioned. Personally, I use quite a strong mixture of washer bottle screenwash which has helped to prevent the actual water bottle from freezing, (even at -16c). The main problem I find is at the washer jets on the bonnet which always seem to freeze up. It sometimes helps to spray the jets with window de-icer first which may help to get them going, (making sure to immediately wipe up any exces spray from the paintwork of course). Though I've also been known to spray a tin of de-icer out of the driver's side window every now and then, to try to clean the windscreen when the jets don't work, (not when I'm moving, I hasten to add ... only when I'm at a junction or stuck in traffic etc.)

My main problem lately is actually getting the car doors open in the first place. I'm paranoid that I'll damage the rubber around the doors if I try to force them open. Again, the trusty old de-icer comes in handy - spraying it all around the door seals and allowing it to seep in for a few moments.

Roll on the spring-time!!! :blink:

Sarc.

--------------------

Ford Fiesta Zetec 1.4 in Colorado red, (3-door/petrol/manual transmission), QuickClear heated windscreen, bog-standard 15" alloys, chrome bits here there and everywhere, real spare wheel instead of the 'shaving foam' tyre repair kit which is normally supplied. (Would have also liked a built-in Jelly Baby dispenser, but sadly they haven't been invented yet). Ordered on 21st July. Build date: 5th September (Valencia). Delivery date: 29th Sept (2009)

If anyone is interested I've done my own, personal REVIEW of the car, which includes loads of photos etc. Please click the following banner:

minibanneranimated.gif

Believe it or believe it not, I bought the Fiesta in the first week in March. Still not topped up the washer bottle so wouldn't have a clue to where it is. Guess what, the bonnet has never been up either!

Yet another reason to make me miss my Focus ST - that had heated washer jets! :(

Yet another reason to make me miss my Focus ST - that had heated washer jets! :(

The M3 does, but don't always work.

wow i've never heard of heated washer jets! :lol:

Mine have been fine in my fez but i put quite a heavy mix of screenwash in just before 'the big freeze'

What can I say? That's German engineering for you ;) :lol:

What can I say? That's German engineering for you ;) :lol:

Tell me about it, it's cost me more than my last 3 cars put together.

Believe it or believe it not, I bought the Fiesta in the first week in March. Still not topped up the washer bottle so wouldn't have a clue to where it is. Guess what, the bonnet has never been up either!

How do u check your oil and water and other fluids weekly then

How do u check your oil and water and other fluids weekly then

Why check them himself when he can have his Butler do it? :P

I have read recently that hard water can cause deposits in the nozzles, so you should use boiled then cooled-off water from the kettle to dilute your concentrate, and don't use washing-up detergent as a substitute for the pre-packaged screen-wash, as the soap will clog the nozzles for sure. I have had to keep a slender map-pin in my car for years to clear and redirect my jets, but now I am wise to the hard water problem, I hope to have no more troubles. None so far, in 15 months with the present end-of-line Mk 6.5 Fiesta.

Yes,it could happen that if you do not use deionized water (or how is it called, can be bought at garage) or boiled water than after few years you`ll find a lot of strange residue in the washer bottle (nevermind, I`m still using normal water). It could sometimes jam the jets. Personally I do not have problem if the washer bottle is in front or in the back of the car, I`m using -40C° screenwash so no problem at all :)

I mixed 50-50 solution over Xmas and blew the fuse when I used the washers doh . Anyone interested link for mini pack replacement fuses from Halfords handy to have.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...tegoryId_165562

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club