Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Insurance

JKSEN

I'm 18 years old and I'm currently with Tesco Bank Box insurance. Which means I have a black box to monitor my "driving skills" as such. I paid £1440 for my first year of driving and that year is coming to and end next month. I'd like to know what insurance companies that other young drivers on here are using. What are the best places to go with price wise? And do you also have black boxes?

6 hours ago, JKSEN said:

I'm 18 years old and I'm currently with Tesco Bank Box insurance. Which means I have a black box to monitor my "driving skills" as such. I paid £1440 for my first year of driving and that year is coming to and end next month. I'd like to know what insurance companies that other young drivers on here are using. What are the best places to go with price wise? And do you also have black boxes?

Try giving Adrian flux a call. They do a discount if you’re a member on here, insurance will always be expensive mate, you’ll probably find you need a black box for one more year unless you want to pay through the roof.

Im in the same situation as you, Costa a fortune

• Like 1

I managed to get it for £1400 in my second year with no box. Those things suck, but luckily I was with co-op in my first year, and it was quite lenient with everything other than braking. I didn't end up caring about my score in the end, I could be getting 1/5 every day and it would make no difference.

• Like 1

My 20 year old Daughter is with Go Girl.  £1100 for a brand new £22,000 Qashqai with no black box.

Where you live is one of the biggest influences, and there's not much you can do about it (other than move).

And there's me, £138 fully comp with the RAC on our brand new £25,000 Sportage.  The benefits of old age and a safe postcode!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lwatson99 said:

Try giving Adrian flux a call. They do a discount if you’re a member on here, insurance will always be expensive mate, you’ll probably find you need a black box for one more year unless you want to pay through the roof.

Im in the same situation as you, Costa a fortune

Thanks mate. Yeah unfortunately I think having a box again might be the better decision. 

1 hour ago, Luke4efc said:

I managed to get it for £1400 in my second year with no box. Those things suck, but luckily I was with co-op in my first year, and it was quite lenient with everything other than braking. I didn't end up caring about my score in the end, I could be getting 1/5 every day and it would make no difference.

What company are you with now? Yeah, Tesco are lenient too, but I just feel like one day if something does go wrong then they'll use my black box scores against me.

57 minutes ago, Jethro_Tull said:

My 20 year old Daughter is with Go Girl.  £1100 for a brand new £22,000 Qashqai with no black box.

Where you live is one of the biggest influences, and there's not much you can do about it (other than move).

And there's me, £138 fully comp with the RAC on our brand new £25,000 Sportage.  The benefits of old age and a safe postcode!

A good postcode is hard to get nowadays unfortunately. Everywhere is getting less safe and it sucks for us young drivers since insurance companies want to take all of our money lol. But wow, £138! I need to get older lol.:tongue:

im paying about £1500 thats with my mods on im 20, thats with admiral, no box, its a decent insurance and for mods they are reasonably priced when quoting you for adding mods.

40 minutes ago, JKSEN said:

I need to get older lol

No don't wish your life away  you will get older sooner than you think one day it will be now. Yes as a young driver you will get shafted with insurance and then when it comes to renewal they bend you over again and do the same. It gets better over age 25 (a bit)

I'm 19 years old and managed to get admiral insurance for about £1170 without the black box. I'm now driving a mk6 fiesta zetec s 1.6 TDCi. It all comes to location from what I've found and your NC and age of car. When I was 17 I paid £2000 for insurance for a 07 Peugeot 107 1 litre. Do also try to find insurance which protects your no claims. Admiral will only protect mine when I am I think 21 years old. Also forgot to say I've found money supermarket to give me the cheapest quotes from the same insurers. Just be careful on the road and watch out for idiots and you'll be rewarded. 

I use money supermarket for quotes, I've found them to be competitive. When I was younger I was with Budget, now I'm a bit older (35) I am with admiral. My wife has a fiesta titanium, I have a mondeo zetec with mods, both cars are 12 months old. We can drive each other's cars and have NCB protected and business use, it costs us £355 for all that [emoji16] we have a decent post code.

I wonder if @Luke4efc or @JKSEN could explain what info the box sends back and what happens if your scores aren't great?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Those black boxes are a con.

Someone pulls out on you, so you emergency stop.  Instead of rewarding you for your good reactions and excellent observation skills, it punishes you for hard braking. However, if you endanger yourself by not braking, or braking gently, it rewards you for your sensitive touch on the brakes.

You're pulling onto a motorway of fast moving traffic.  You accelerate hard and pull on to the carriageway.  Instead of rewarding you for your foresight in acxurately matching your speed to the traffic flow it punishes you for hard acceleration.  However, cause a hazard by dangerously dawdling into the traffic flow and causing people to swerve or brake and it rewards you for your gentle caressing if the throttle.

Make no mistake, the only person that benefits from black boxes are the insurers.

• Like 4

I'm just coming to the end of my second year driving, so am about to have 2 years no claims.

My insurance for the past year was with 1 year's no claims. I paid a total premium of £960, which included business cover, legal aid and a courtesy car, and I do not have a black box. I am now 21 years old. My insurance is with Aviva. I worked my way to aviva by first using confused.com to get some comparison prices between different companies. I took the cheapest company without a black box at the time which was admiral. I had a look who they were underwritten by (Aviva) and went direct to them to get a quote. That's how I got my best price.

I'm now looking to renew, and aviva have dropped of £120 from my premium this year for the same cover and vehicle. That's with a non-fault claim from this year to. They say non-fault claims don't affect your insurance, but they definitely do...makes me wonder how much my insurance would have gone down to if someone hadn't crashed into me -.-

I suggest staying away from black boxes to be honest. I see little benefit from them, it's worth paying that extra and not worrying about your driving all the time. 

But in short, go to Aviva and get a direct quote and see what they offer you.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HappyJam said:

I'm just coming to the end of my second year driving, so am about to have 2 years no claims.

My insurance for the past year was with 1 year's no claims. I paid a total premium of £960, which included business cover, legal aid and a courtesy car, and I do not have a black box. I am now 21 years old. My insurance is with Aviva. I worked my way to aviva by first using confused.com to get some comparison prices between different companies. I took the cheapest company without a black box at the time which was admiral. I had a look who they were underwritten by (Aviva) and went direct to them to get a quote. That's how I got my best price.

I'm now looking to renew, and aviva have dropped of £120 from my premium this year for the same cover and vehicle. That's with a non-fault claim from this year to. They say non-fault claims don't affect your insurance, but they definitely do...makes me wonder how much my insurance would have gone down to if someone hadn't crashed into me -.-

I suggest staying away from black boxes to be honest. I see little benefit from them, it's worth paying that extra and not worrying about your driving all the time. 

But in short, go to Aviva and get a direct quote and see what they offer you.

Further to this...

Always shop around. You will get better prices from insurance companies as a new customer than a company you have been with for one year, for the most part.

At the end of my first year of car insurance, I had a Peugeot 206 (Ikr kill me now). My insurance was with churchill and they offered me a renewal price of £2700...That was £900 increase on my previous year premium with them. Ikr go figure. So I went on their website and go a quote as a brand new customer, all the same details, same vehicle still, just as a new customer instead of one renewing. Quote came back at £2300. Still ridiculously expensive but thought hey Ill call them. So on the phone, I didn't tell them I had got a quote from them as a new customer, I wanted to see what they would offer me as a customer renewing with them. Churchill told me "Oh the best we can do is get your renewal price down to £2300, that's with a loyalty bonus." So yeah, safe to say I had a nice conversation with them about how they tried to rip me off the first time by offering £2700, hoping I'd just renew, and how they're in fact offering me no loyalty discount at all. So they lost a customer, but actually they probably wanted to lose me. Insurance companies don't particularly want young drivers!

That's when I shopped around and managed to find Aviva offered me better cover than what churchill did, for £960 for the year. Then when I sold my Peugoet 206 and bought my brand new Fiesta ST-Line, they put my premium up by only £6. Laughing. 

So safe to say at the moment, I'm a flag waver for Aviva. Their customer service is fantastic as well. But still...even I'm shopping around now to see if I can get a better deal.

• Like 2

I've had a black box for the past 2 years and like Jethro said you would make some emergency maneuvers and you can get a needs improvement message. The black box I had measured speed, acceleration, braking and cornering. Now with my fiesta I got it without the black box and can now follow the traffic at 35+mph

• Like 2

Adrian Flux were always cheap for insuring my Dutton Phaeton when I wur a lad!

• Like 1

I too was 18 with one years no claims when I got my Fiesta St-Line 140. When I got my new fiesta my insurance was up for renewal 3 days later. I got numerous quotes using comparison sites and managed to get it for £939 through Admiral (via comparethemarket) without a blackbox. It really does make a difference on what you input as your Job. I'm an apprentice field technician in the IT industry and by putting that it would've cost me over £2k!!!! I made it Technical Assistant in Maintenance Services as it still describes what i'm doing, supplying tech assistant/maintenance service to customers.

However, when I passed I was 17 and driving a 2005 1.2 SXI Corsa (Typical teenage car ik :D). I got my insurance once again via Comparethemarket but this time with a company called MyPolicy (I believe apart of Aviva not 100% sure) with a black box and payed £1400. I'll be honest I like to put my foot down as I like driving and often going for spirited driving (It was a corsa so nothing atrocious). MyPolicy were really laid as it seemed the box told a few fibs, on these spirited drives you now and then go above said speed limits and the box didn't seem to pick it up! It was then I read into their terms that I noticed that no action was really taken unless you go 50% over the speed limit (I.e. 90 in a 60) or over 100 in a 70. My friend went for the same company based on how lax they were with me and he's had the same experience. So if you want to let out your inner boy racer I'd look into them!!! This same friend has just got an Mercedes A200D as a company car and is insured through MyPolicy for £950 with 1 year NCD. 

Hope this helps :D

• Like 1

Was with LV for my first 3 years driving but they wouldn't allow any mods, so been with Admiral 2 years who have allowed to me add everything I want with the biggest hit being my remap costing £60 to my yearly total.

• Like 1

These boxes are a joke. Not long before every car has them as insurance will become that expensive otherwise, it will be the only option. I spent the majority of my time in the first few weeks just staring at my speedo half the time. It encourages you to take corners faster (as it gave me 5/5 every time), and not brake at all. Eventually gave up and just kept up with the flow of traffic, no matter how fast they were going.

My fear is so many are going to have these boxes soon the traffic will be at a crawl all the time. It's ridiculous basically having a constant speed camera pointed at you. I get sick of people doing 35 in a 40 on a clear road, it should be an offence too.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

I use money supermarket for quotes, I've found them to be competitive. When I was younger I was with Budget, now I'm a bit older (35) I am with admiral. My wife has a fiesta titanium, I have a mondeo zetec with mods, both cars are 12 months old. We can drive each other's cars and have NCB protected and business use, it costs us £355 for all that emoji16.png we have a decent post code.

I wonder if @Luke4efc or @JKSEN could explain what info the box sends back and what happens if your scores aren't great?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here's what my current insurance company (Tesco Bank Box) monitor.

Screen Shot 2017-07-18 at 17.10.27.png

• Like 1

Thanks for everyones replies. Honestly I didn't think this post would get that much attention haha. I can definitely say you've all helped a lot!

10 hours ago, AlexBartlam said:

im paying about £1500 thats with my mods on im 20, thats with admiral, no box, its a decent insurance and for mods they are reasonably priced when quoting you for adding mods.

What mods have you got on your 1L? I was charged an extra £2 a month just for putting the bigger fiesta spoiler found on the Zetec S and ST on my 125hp Fiesta. Although it's just declared as a "rear spoiler" so I could put anything on lol.

Just to jump in, I was charged £400 a month when I first got my 1L ecoboost back in January last year with my own insurance policy, then I switched to diamond (yeah I know, but they were the cheapest LOL), got that down to £300... then £200, now I'm paying £138 with Admiral. This was all in the course of a year but I don't recommend switching all the time unless you're paying something ridiculous like I was as you';d want to stick it out to get your first first 1 years no claims bonus. It seems like Admiral was the cheapest at the time, haven't checked now though. You're right about what you put down as your job title, I recommend everyone uses this tool from Martins Money tips which shows you what you can put down on your insurance with as close of a title as it is to what you put to get the cheapest prices.

Insurance will always be silly money but it does get better with age and experience, I'm a professional driver and never had a claim or points until my last car got stolen with the keys from my house. I found the car, I replaced the keys at my cost and I also found the scumbag that did it. did my insurance increase? Yes  Did the police press charges ? NO even tho I had cctv and forensics against him (its not within the public interest ) or summit like that they said. but still cost me £500 excess and 2 years increase on my premium

I feel for you my first car was older then me and I was quoted 5x its value in insurance, its frustrating but something we need so they have got us by the .....

Chin up use the comparison sites and if need be have the dreaded black box and earn your way up the ladder, in the end its worth it but you gotta earn your stripes with these people to reap the rewards

Get a good front and rear dashcams as well that reduces premiums from some insurance companies!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club