Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Retrofit Sat Nav to a SYNC3 nonNAV unit

Bannko

Hi All,

recently i have just visit one guy that is a really great technician and programmer when it comes to Ford vehicles. Last few months he spent digging with SYNC3 devices and he finally found a way how to add the Sat Nav into nonNAV version of SYNC 3. 

So i thought that at least i can give you all an info that it is really possible and what it takes to retrofit the navigation in SYNC3.

TheEU nonNAV version of SYNC3 usually should already be equipped with GPS antenna (as it was also with SYNC2). Also it has an internal 16GB e.MMC memory where it is not possible to retrofit the navigation (small space for EU maps).  That is why a soldering is involved.

1. A new 64GB e.MMC memory is needed

2. Then we have to open the APIM module and remove the original 16GB e.MMC card.

3. We need to have a special e.MMC card reader and clone the data from 16GB card to a new 64GB card.

4. Setting the serial number ESN to a new memory

5. Solder the new e.MMC memory to the APIM

6. Another custom installation update package with navi maps + navi app will be installed

7. Test if everything works :)

After connecting the APIM module later to a Ford's server they will be able to recognize it as a NAV version and will also provide you MAP updates for future and any Ford dealer can later perform also standard NAV updates. So actually the Sat Nav will be retrofitted as from the factory.

Yeah, the retrofit of the navigation is for real not so easy as it is with SYNC 2 and involves much more time, gadgets and patient. The guy has only done it to few of his friends. But i have asked him if he maybe will not be willing to do it for others from around the Europe. 

So maybe if somebody from here will be interested PM me and i can ask him for his time but really have no idea how much would he charge for it  :) 

@Admins: if this topic somehow violates the rules, please delete it :) 

• 1 year later...

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 9:17 AM, Bannko said:

Hi All,

recently i have just visit one guy that is a really great technician and programmer when it comes to Ford vehicles. Last few months he spent digging with SYNC3 devices and he finally found a way how to add the Sat Nav into nonNAV version of SYNC 3. 

So i thought that at least i can give you all an info that it is really possible and what it takes to retrofit the navigation in SYNC3.

TheEU nonNAV version of SYNC3 usually should already be equipped with GPS antenna (as it was also with SYNC2). Also it has an internal 16GB e.MMC memory where it is not possible to retrofit the navigation (small space for EU maps).  That is why a soldering is involved.

2. Then we have to open the APIM module and remove the original 16GB e.MMC card.

3. We need to have a special e.MMC card reader and clone the data from 16GB card to a new 64GB card.

6. Another custom installation update package with navi maps + navi app will be installed

After connecting the APIM module later to a Ford's server they will be able to recognize it as a NAV version and will also provide you MAP updates for future and any Ford dealer can later perform also standard NAV updates. So actually the Sat Nav will be retrofitted as from the factory.

Yeah, the retrofit of the navigation is for real not so easy as it is with SYNC 2 and involves much more time, gadgets and patient. The guy has only done it to few of his friends. But i have asked him if he maybe will not be willing to do it for others from around the Europe. 

So maybe if somebody from here will be interested PM me and i can ask him for his time but really have no idea how much would he charge for it  :) 

@Admins: if this topic somehow violates the rules, please delete it 🙂

Hi Mate 

Can you do for my too?

• 10 months later...

Hello Bannko,

Could you give me more directions to do this?

Best regards

Oli

• 5 months later...
On 7/18/2017 at 9:17 AM, Bannko said:

Hi All,

@Admins: if this topic somehow violates the rules, please delete it 🙂

i would like to do this could you help me plese?

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club