Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Start up at cold

zain611

I changed the glow plugs and serviced my fiesta and I've noticed at start up first thing in the morning it misfires and get a strong smell of diesel from outside the car which goes away after a second on startup. I also feel a very slight vibration however this goes away when driven down the road. Before I changed the glow plugs it would smoke for 10 secs at start up and idle rough until the engine warmed up a little. My dad has a feeling it could a an injector leaking but also wanted others opinions. Today it did the same thing when start first thing in the morning but when I started it again when I was leaving from where I went it started perfectly. 

Sounds like it could be a injector

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

take the plastic cover off the top of the engine (has air filter combined in it which is annoying (assuming yours is same as my old 2007 1.6tdci zetec (not S). Look around base of injectors. any sign of damp fluid there? (ie. diesel seeping parts the copper sealing washers).  also run it on tickover and see if you get a chuffing noise from any of the injectors.

If no damp there and no chuffing then i would say injectors not leaking. I don't know what the problem is though. if it drives fine and you can live with it I might be tempted to leave it. 

Don't get sucked into doing too much to try to fix it and then wishing you had left alone - eg. if you try to get an injector out and it gets stuck (which does happen). On these tempramental diesels it can turn into a nightmare

• Like 1

I would say the same, My first check would be a leaking injector (explained above) but think twice before messing with the temperamental little buggers for no reason or you could cause a lot bigger problems

2 minutes ago, isetta said:

take the plastic cover off the top of the engine (has air filter combined in it which is annoying (assuming yours is same as my old 2007 1.6tdci zetec (not S). Look around base of injectors. any sign of damp fluid there? (ie. diesel seeping parts the copper sealing washers).  also run it on tickover and see if you get a chuffing noise from any of the injectors.

If no damp there and no chuffing then i would say injectors not leaking. I don't know what the problem is though. if it drives fine and you can live with it I might be tempted to leave it. 

Don't get sucked into doing too much to try to fix it and then wishing you had left alone - eg. if you try to get an injector out and it gets stuck (which does happen). On these tempramental diesels it can turn into a nightmare

Thanks isetta, the car drives nicely with no fault. It's just starting it from cold I've noticed it chugs at start up however when starting it again when the engine is a little warm it starts perfectly with no smoke. When my dad did the glow plugs we did notice dried diesel behind the cover so the seals were replaced at one point. The last owner said he changed all the seals however I don't have any proof of that

32 minutes ago, usersteve said:

I would say the same, My first check would be a leaking injector (explained above) but think twice before messing with the temperamental little buggers for no reason or you could cause a lot bigger problems

Does leaking injectors cause any damage to the engine? Its just this thought that gets me. I've also noticed the temperature needle does not go above the middle mark. Could this be the thermostat? 

if an injector is leaking then I would change it. it could possibly be a number of things with the temp gauge not necessarily a problem but for the price of a thermostat change it for piece of mind and to at least rule it out

Thanks Steve. Are second hand injectors okay to use? Good thing with the 1.4 and 1.6 diesel engines are that they are made by Peugeot Citroën and are in other makes so are easy to find. 

I forgot to ask but do these engines warm up quickly? I'd say about 2 minutes of driving it gets to minimum temperatures. My dad has a VW bora and he also noticed this and suggests it has a heater

my 2007 1.6tdci fiesta took a long time to warm up and the temp guage very rarely went more than one third up. i bought it at 5 months old and had it for 9 years and did 146k miles. my brother now has it. temp guage / warm up was always like this from when i got the car and still the same now. heat generation from an engine is from inefficiency. energy is being wasted in heat. these engines are very efficient and don't waste energy in as much heat generation as much as others.

thank god i had a quickclear windscreen other it would have been terrible in winter with no heat to defrost/demist for many miles.

Thermostat is not all that easy to get to on these engines in that car.

"if an injector is leaking then I would change it"  says usersteve . bear in mind a leaking injector and a leak between the injector and the head are not the same thing - do not confuse them

Im just getting more worried and put down with this car. I wonder why it warms up quickly. Could it be the thermostat acting up? I've never seen the temperature needle go above the middle. If there is a leak I really hope it's an injector not a crack in the head. I've noticed it drives lovely but when starting it up when it's been sitting for several hours it chugs at startup and it puffs smoke which has a strong diesel smell. The things a seller hides from you for you to get the car