Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Energy Supplier (Gas and elec)

jace1969

What are people on,i know it works off the post code but were with Npower and the electric is on a fixed tariff until 2018 and a lot cheaper as was taken

2 years ago so prices went up but ours was fixed so great.

But gas it stupid,tariff runs out in 4 weeks and thinking of switching as they can only base on there std tariff now as prices gone up and again our fixed was

taken 2 years ago so even on there std or a new tariff fixed it will be a nice bit more,the only fixed is a 4 years they can offer but it works out the same

as the std one but just fixed.

Its the west midlands area mainly but will be good to know.

i'm with 1st utility for both.
I was paying 70 a month for combimed then last nov i'd accrued so much credit they dropped it to £30 ppm and I was able to heat &light the whole house pretty much none stop all winter and we were still in credit by the end of Jan
Customer service is fairly good too

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, stants said:

i'm with 1st utility for both.
I was paying 70 a month for combimed then last nov i'd accrued so much credit they dropped it to £30 ppm and I was able to heat &light the whole house pretty much none stop all winter and we were still in credit by the end of Jan
Customer service is fairly good too

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Looking at our Gas it works out a good 200+more over a 12 months period but that is compared off the fixed one we have now which of course

is going to be cheaper as when we took it out it was a lot cheaper.

Being ours is on a lot mainly the heating because of my elderly dad its the main one the gas so i think its a look around.

Was going to see what the other main ones have to offer like British gas/Eon etc. We do pay Direct/D on Dual fuel so do build up a bit in reservere

for the winter.

If your elec fixed deal isn't up for renewal then you won't be able to get dual fuel with anyone other than with Npower. See what the early exit fee is as it might be worth leaving and getting dual fuel elsewhere. Best thing to do would be to go on Martin Lewis MSE website he has tools for seeing who is the best and cheapest supplier based on your needs. There is some kind of Energy Club on his page.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As for the exit fee on the electric its £0 well that what the statement says.

I know there are a nice few out there and it mainly goes on the post code for the area but Npower and getting stupid prices.

Ours is £70 a month but that's now so when the new Tariff stars the end of August it will be around a bit more.

See our heating is on 24/7 on a set temp and then it never comes on for weeks if its warm but gets colder and it comes on Auto.

See why 24/7 as we are always in as most people go out to there jobs etc so set there's on a timer as no use having it on if house is empty.

i will try out a few but i will try this online checker to find the rough prices.

14 hours ago, jace1969 said:

As for the exit fee on the electric its £0 well that what the statement says.

I know there are a nice few out there and it mainly goes on the post code for the area but Npower and getting stupid prices.

Ours is £70 a month but that's now so when the new Tariff stars the end of August it will be around a bit more.

See our heating is on 24/7 on a set temp and then it never comes on for weeks if its warm but gets colder in it comes on Auto.

See why 24/7 as we are always in as most people go out to there jobs etc so set there's on a timer as no use having it on in house is empty.

i will try out a few but i will try this online checker to find the rough prices.

Compare the standing charge and KWH prices rather than their monthly prices, as then you can be sure you're getting the best deal.

• Like 1

Compare the standing charge and KWH prices rather than their monthly prices, as then you can be sure you're getting the best deal.

Spot on. Some companies look like a good bet due to low unit prices but the standing daily charges are higher

3 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

Spot on. Some companies look like a good bet due to low unit prices but the standing daily charges are higher

Yes i do that and this is why the new deal they said which was fixed for 4 years was not that good as where the unit price was cheaper on the

fixed deal the daily charge was higher so they were both close prices like 0.30 not even 1p between the 2 but the daily charge

was higher on the 4 year fixed,is there any good sites to check the best in the area as i have never used one for gas/elec before.

Make yourself a pot of tea, get comfy and Google 'energy comparison'  and start putting your details into the sites that come up eg Uswitch, Comparethemarket, etc etc it's boring but it does pay off 😉

A lot of it depends on your personal circumstances, ie if you don't use a lot of energy get a tariff with a lower daily rate with perhaps a more expensive unit rate but if you use a lot of energy a cheaper unit rate may work out cheaper. Your old bills will give you an indication of your yearly usage for comparison. 

Could be worth going through Topcashback etc as well. 😉

EDIT: We don't have mains gas up here so I only compare electricity tariffs but I believe there are some companies that will supply both and could give you a better deal taking both utilities. But, it could be cheaper getting them from different suppliers, you just have to put in the work to get the best deals 😎

• Like 1

I was with utility warehouse first year was £78 per month, but we had no figures as it was our first property. This crept up to 95pm this year. 

Used uswitch and now with Sainsbury's energy for 75pm and they did all of the switch work for us. Nice and easy 

• Like 1

Thanks for all your replies on this as it is a great help and will look around online as i never searched or checked online.

I will try Uswitch as it seems a popular one.

• Like 1

Just tried  Uswitch putting in my fixed 2017 ends in august and guess what,going in the future as they can only bank it on like todays

prices for next 12 months Npower comes up the cheapest,that is dam weird so im way behind on stuff as thought it looked dear but the others are more.

Put all the year usage in on the gas and economy 7 electric,weird.

Economy 7 metres are different to 'standard' meters, they are only beneficial for a small demographic. You said that you use electric all day as there is always someone in the house, this being the case then an economy 7 metre and tariff may not be the best for you. Only you know what is best. I'm pretty sure that if you decided to go for a standard tariff then your metre is changed free. Have a look at the link below to see if you are looking at the best tariffs for you and your dad. I would confidently say that anything on this website (MSE) is good advice, he is not sponsored or paid by anyone to show bias towards.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/economy-7

Cheers Jon,yes Economy 7 does save us a lot as we are up like 4 in the morning things like washing/dryer is on and done for the peak time

which is 8 on the morning and also we have the immersion heater for the hot water so that's the same so hot water all day as it heats up a

big tank on the night and being only me and dad it last all day,the night rate is only 6p per 1000watt so set it to 2 hours on the night so 12p.

I will check that out but thanks a lot.

• Like 1

Avro Energy for me. Being a O.A.P. the heating is on full blast along with the T.V. on for ten hours a day. Monthly bill is £51 and no early exit fees.

13 hours ago, Devonboy said:

Avro Energy for me. Being a O.A.P. the heating is on full blast along with the T.V. on for ten hours a day. Monthly bill is £51 and no early exit fees.

I have heard about these a lot,is all the stuff set up online or can you ring as some only gives deals if you do online.

A standard immersion heater uses about 3kw/h, so it will be more like 36p a night. Not a lot granted but monthly that will be approx £10.80 a month and £129.60 a year. As opposed to £3.60 and £43.20 if you do only use 1Kw/h. Still very reasonably priced, I've not worked out how much mine costs me but it is a gas boiler with electric back up. It's set to be on 2 hrs from 0400-0600 and the same 1600-1800. I should look at how much gas is consumed in an hour. Then on top of that is the GCH which is set to 'constant on' all day and then controlled via a room 'stat in the hall which I set to 16-18 degrees and the wife promptly changes it to more like 20-21! I was told this is the most economical and cost effective way to do it, and I have no personal experience to go off as this is my first house.

Yes the immersion heater and the economy 7 have saved us a lot over the few years be im up early in the morning and in winter times where

the dryer is on a lot,well even summer with our weather as i need some stuff dry very quick so outside on line for hours aint that good at times.

I have just heard that British gas is putting there electric up just over 12% so at least that is fixed till august 2018.

This OVO looks a very good one with good feedback.

On ‎29‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 3:42 PM, jace1969 said:

I have heard about these a lot,is all the stuff set up online or can you ring as some only gives deals if you do online.

Online or phone. Highly recommend

On 21/07/2017 at 7:07 AM, jace1969 said:

What are people on,i know it works off the post code but were with Npower and the electric is on a fixed tariff until 2018 and a lot cheaper as was taken

2 years ago so prices went up but ours was fixed so great.

But gas it stupid,tariff runs out in 4 weeks and thinking of switching as they can only base on there std tariff now as prices gone up and again our fixed was

taken 2 years ago so even on there std or a new tariff fixed it will be a nice bit more,the only fixed is a 4 years they can offer but it works out the same

as the std one but just fixed.

Its the west midlands area mainly but will be good to know.

Npower are evil....

Company I work for is called Utilita, been around for 8 years or so. Google them..obviously highly recommended.  😁

4 hours ago, Novathere said:

Npower are evil....

That is so true and when you speak to them they just not bothered at all,well most of them.

Are still looking as electric is fixed until 2018 august on a good rate so mainly gas,keep seeing this OVO one.

• 2 weeks later...

I switched last week. I was with GB Energy; yes the one that went bust last year. They were okay, but even before they went bust I questioned how they were able to afford their prices..... it turned out they couldn't. Co-op took them over and kept our prices. So until last week I was on a really cheap deal; cost about £42 per month for both gas and elec. GB were OK, the customer services team were helpful and friendly, but never answered online queries, you had to phone them up. Their forecasting was hopeless and they always massively overcharged me; I felt like they were using me as a bank account that provided free loans. A few months ago they wanted to increase my monthly charge by nearly 50%, I was already in credit and we were at the start of the much cheaper summer months - I wouldn't let them. In the last 14 months, I have had 7 different direct debit payment levels. It was going up and down like a yo-yo. One three month period saw a different amount each month! It makes managing your account, time consuming

I'm now with EDF who proved to be the cheapest for my area, but I haven't been with them long enough to know what they're like. Cost is now £56/month. I just have to hope GB are more efficient in giving back my 3 figure credit balance. GB Energy sent me a last minute deal to try and keep me that was even cheaper then EDF, but the switch process has already started and I wanted to leave

Not a big fan of constant switching as the cheaper deals are usually that because they have yet to put up their prices and you simply end up on a merry-go-round of switching supplier every year. A few years ago I switched to Co-op and they put their prices up on the day I switched {literally}; the company I had switched from were now cheaper than the price I had switched to. So I switched again they very next day (there was no exit fee)