Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyre Pressure Monitor Inhibits Tyre Rotation?

Linds

I have CrossClimates on my Focus and thought I might swap the fronts and rears (I cannot actually rotate) to keep wear reasonably even on all the tyres.  Took the car down to my local Tyre Co and they said that because the car has tyre pressure monitors fitted it will not be possible to do this for me by just moving the wheels - the tyres would have to come off and be re-fitted they suggested at a cost of £12 ea. They said the only make of car they would not be concerned to rotate the wheels on (with tpm's fitted) is Land Rover.

Now having researched the forum I have seen it said several times that it is best to keep a good level of tread on the rear tyres, so I may have lost interest in swapping the fronts and rears anyway!

But I nevertheless was surprised that tpm's inhibit rotation/swapping of tyres by making it more of a job and thought I'd just ask if my Tyre Co is right in what they say?

I would have thought you just swap the wheels round and then do the tyre pressure monitor reset on the dashboard (after you have altered your tyre pressures - most need  higher psi in front than rear ). I can't see why you could not do that - perhaps someone else can explain if there is something I am missing 

I have often seen it said that you should prioritise more tread on rear than front because if rear loses grip and goes sideways then you are more likely to totally lose control. with abs i would have thought that was less of an issue although might still be an issue when cornering at speed on wet roads i suppose.

• Like 1

No issues on focus swapping wheels around , tpms will just relearn after a while.

• Like 1

I just hold down the reset button on the stalk for a few seconds and its all done.

• Like 1

The only thing it may confuse is actually which corner you have low pressure on. Will still warn you of problems and I'm sure you can then look to see which tyre has the issue

Focus won't tell you which tyre has low pressure anyway, unlike the Mondeo,smax edge etc

The ABS tyre deflation detect does, but uses ABS sensors so knows what wheel, regardless of TMPS sensors

Maybe a difference between Zetec and Titaniums, I enabled Deflation Detection using Focccus, I thought only the Titanum Plus's had it by default

1 hour ago, madmole said:

The ABS tyre deflation detect does, but uses ABS sensors so knows what wheel, regardless of TMPS sensors

Mine doesn't.

What does it show on cluster when a tyre goes flat ?

Cant remember, but I tested it when I first enabled DDS and It definitely said the wheel involved. remember DDS is not TPMS, they are 2 different systems

DDS works via ABS sensors and does not use the TPMS transmitters in the tyres. TPMS needs the wheels sensors registering to the car. I don't use the Ford TPMS but have a separate system I fitted that identifies each tyre, its pressure and temperature. When registering the sensors you have to say which corner each is

Yours must be different to all the ones I've seen. The only ones I've had to make sure are programmed using the tpms programmer were the Mondeo's and smax . The fiesta focus,ecosport, tpms we just drive and it learns . Got a numpty at work who occasionally breaks the sensor when changing tyres

My MK3.5 titanium X doesn't tell me which tyre is deflated. It just warns me I need to go air up!

• Like 2

Its the DDS that says which tyre not the TPMS

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club