Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta 1.4 Auto 2009

Kton2002

Evening all, purchased a 09 fiesta auto, full ford history, very pleased. Only question is at lights, it continues to pull with the brake pressed. Once today (driven 120 miles), it "clicked"  when i released the brake it then moved forward. Is there something that tells the car its stopped and cuts the drive?

Thanks in advance

I have very little experience with auto trannys. They're just not popular for daily drivers (except new german saloons). Only thing I can contribute is when was the last time it was serviced? I've heard of all weird and wacky problems that have been sorted by a fluid and filter change. But again, a fluid and filter change is as far as my knowledge goes on autos. I've only just started picking up how on earth they work lol.

I would say have a go at getting the gearbox fluid changed along with a service. My dad and uncle both have a VW bora auto and in my uncle ones it didn't change gears as smoothly and quickly until my dad changed the gearbox fluid and did a service. My dad's bora has 85k whereas my uncles one has 170k now. I can't guarantee this would solve your problem but it may be good to change the fluid 

On 23/07/2017 at 9:34 PM, Kton2002 said:

Evening all, purchased a 09 fiesta auto, full ford history, very pleased. Only question is at lights, it continues to pull with the brake pressed. Once today (driven 120 miles), it "clicked"  when i released the brake it then moved forward. Is there something that tells the car its stopped and cuts the drive?

It will have a torque converter and does not go out of drive when stopped. If you want to cut the drive you need to put it into neutral. This is my habit because I am old school and use the (weak) handbrake when stationary.

I can't guess what the click could be.

On 23/07/2017 at 9:34 PM, Kton2002 said:

Thanks in advance

Hi, I have a 2011 Fiesta which I believe has the same old 4 speed CVT transmission as yours will. If you come to a complete stop, it will still try to crawl while in Drive, so if you release the brake it will move forward. The drive is constant and doesn't cut out like newer dual clutch transmissions (Powershift) or DSGs. Therefore I was always under the impression to prevent any wear on the transmission, to move the shifter into the Neutral position if stationary at lights or whatever.

I'm no expert however so someone may know better, but thats what I was lead to believe. 

:) 

13 hours ago, 2011fiesta said:

Hi, I have a 2011 Fiesta which I believe has the same old 4 speed CVT transmission as yours will. If you come to a complete stop, it will still try to crawl while in Drive, so if you release the brake it will move forward. The drive is constant and doesn't cut out like newer dual clutch transmissions (Powershift) or DSGs. Therefore I was always under the impression to prevent any wear on the transmission, to move the shifter into the Neutral position if stationary at lights or whatever.

Moving to neutral is completely up to you. The clutch is a wonderfully smooth and robust hydraulic turbine that has been a presence in cars since the 1930's and because it is not a friction device it is perfectly happy to slip. The reason the clutch is called a torque converter is because this slip provides a hidden gear. So although the gearbox is labelled 4 speed because of the number of mechanical steps, the slip effect is used to fill in some of the gaps. One obvious instance of this is when going up an incline at 70mph, where if you are gentle applying the accelerator you will sometimes see the revs rise from 3000 to 3300 rpm with a slight take up in response. This is not 3rd gear, which would be 4000rpm.

Going to neutral when stopped improves fuel consumption slightly but there is no benefit on component wear. Some people argue that using neutral actually increases component wear because you are forcing the box to perform more shifts than it would do on its own.

21 hours ago, David73 said:

Moving to neutral is completely up to you. The clutch is a wonderfully smooth and robust hydraulic turbine that has been a presence in cars since the 1930's and because it is not a friction device it is perfectly happy to slip. The reason the clutch is called a torque converter is because this slip provides a hidden gear. So although the gearbox is labelled 4 speed because of the number of mechanical steps, the slip effect is used to fill in some of the gaps. One obvious instance of this is when going up an incline at 70mph, where if you are gentle applying the accelerator you will sometimes see the revs rise from 3000 to 3300 rpm with a slight take up in response. This is not 3rd gear, which would be 4000rpm.

Going to neutral when stopped improves fuel consumption slightly but there is no benefit on component wear. Some people argue that using neutral actually increases component wear because you are forcing the box to perform more shifts than it would do on its own.

Ah interesting. 
I'm sure I've often felt the hidden gear you mention as I've noticed the sudden little boost -  always wondered what it was!

Thanks for posting :)