Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta Mk7 2009 1.4 tdci starter motor replacement

BP2411

Hello everyone, the starter on my fiesta is on the way out, looking to change it but it looks harder than any I've ever done before, any tips? Do you get it from the top of the engine or underneath? 

Thanks in advance! 

I don't know if anyone still takes starter motors apart. In the old days most starter problems were fixed by   a) replacing the carbon brushes in the motor   or  b) recutting the armature inbetween the copper segments of the commutator.   I had a few I fixed by recutting the armature.  This meant there was no cost involved at all, not even 1 penny (if you had a broken junior hacksaw blade handy).

( I have no tips on how to remove it though)

cut_commutator.jpg

HIW-starters1.png

• Like 1

My dad was saying he used to know someone who fixed them but it seems like it's a dying art,  saying that I would prefer to buy a new one anyway as I'm not sure if / when it was changed. By the looks of the second picture I'd say the solenoid isn't activating so the pinion isn't being pushed into place. A local garage has quoted me £140, I can get the starter for £75 and it shouldn't take me too long (famous last words) but access is the problem. 

Whilst there are many bits inside the whole starter motor that could go wrong I would say it is quite unusual for the solenoid to fail because they are simple in construction and do not really wear relative to use  (an electro magnet which just pulls the plunger into it when energised (thus the lever pushes the pinion into the flywheel teeth) and bridges the big electrical connectors on the back end it as the plunger is pulled to the end of its travel (hence connecting the power to the actual motor)- no brushes and no spinning parts). If the solenoid is not clicking/clunking when the key is turned then I would be wondering about the power getting to it as opposed to the starter motor/solenoid being faulty. 

It just makes a grinding noise like it's either not pushing the pinion in place or maybe some of the teeth are stripped, hopefully I can get it out, have a look and go from there. 

Saturday morning my car really struggled to start so after work I went to get a starter motor (£75), a local garage had quoted £140 to supply and fit. I ordered the haynes manual a few days earlier which arrived Friday but had very brief instructions! Took a little over an hour to do. For anyone looking to do this in the future if you stumble across this thread here's my brief guide. 

Working in the engine bay

Remove battery

Remove battery tray (there is a metal box screwed to the side, I think you can undo the connectors and remove the tray with it attached but I just unscrewed it, 3 torx screws t30 iirc) 

Remove the metal bracket under the battery try

Remove the top 2 bolts, you'll need a ratchet and an extension bar (either 10mm or 13mm socket I'm pretty sure it was 10mm)

Working underneath the car, undo the wires to the starter motor then undo the last bolt, I found it easier to pass the starter up through the gap made by removing the battery rather than dropping it to the floor. Under the car I can't remember what sizes I used but 8mm, 10mm & 13mm sound about right, I used both a ratchet and spanners for this part. 

Refitting is obviously the reverse. 

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the guide. I got the battery and cover out but 'm having trouble locating the actual starter. Can anyone help me see what should be obvious?

It's well hidden! Once the battery, tray and metal bracket are all out you'll see 2 bolts, the third you get at from underneath the car.

• 11 months later...

Hi all,

My Fiesta doesn't start, and battery checked ok, I was told it is the starter motor.

I wonder if the location of it is the same as this one, as mine is 05 reg.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

So I went on and removed the battery and the battery metal tray, but not able to identify which bolts are for the starter motor

Please check pictures below (one before removing the tray, and a second one closeup for after removing the tray

Can you please help? Which ones are for the starter motor?

43137902_2081013182228115_8374226327779147776_n.jpg

43138793_245890719604481_2728254339855417344_n.jpg

43092152_880392575681524_5722545654174056448_n.jpg

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club