Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Plastic Door Mounts Coming Off, Water Getting Behind

Tom.S92

Hi guys,

Just bought my ST last Saturday and I've noticed the plastic door mounts for the front and back doors are peeling back. I superglued them back down but cannot get them flush with the car again meaning a slight gap is showing at the top. Is this a problem when it's raining, like today, with water getting in and pooling or will it find a way out and I'm worrying about nothing?

Thanks.

IMG_0917.jpgIMG_0916.jpgIMG_0915.jpg

Did you remove the knackered clips before supergluing? I would guess that's your problem if not.

I had exactly the same problem (both passenger side), removed carefully, removed the broken clips/sanded down the reverse of the plates then superglued like a mental.

2 minutes ago, vibeone said:

Did you remove the knackered clips before supergluing? I would guess that's your problem if not.

I had exactly the same problem (both passenger side), removed carefully, removed the broken clips/sanded down the reverse of the plates then superglued like a mental.

I did not :whistling:. The rear was only slightly loose at the top so didn't want to remove it all but the front had come away completely on one side. Should have removed the clips. 

Would it be best to remove them both completely, remove the clips and re apply or is it fine as is from the pictures. Is water getting behind it going to cause any problems or will it be able to escape from the bottom?

Thanks.

I wouldn't be happy seeing that every time I used the car.  You know the old saying; If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing well.  Take 'em off and start again!

• Like 1

My passenger side was like it when I bought the car, horrible black adhesive oozing everywhere. Got tired of pushing it back into place behind the rubber and pulled it off, removed the glue close to the edges ( this looks like a failed attempt to stop wind noise?) and the thing just clicked back in and has remained in place every since (with no wind noise) They are a bit cheap and nasty though.

They do cause wind noise - especially at 70 (and no higher......) and the flaps come out like a frickin aeroplane.

I don't think water ingress is a particular problem Tom, but as others have stated, it'll probably eat away at you until you do it properly.  BTW, I used gorilla glue from memory.  It still went everywhere and took a number of washes to finally remove any visible glue.  They did stick though!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vibeone said:

They do cause wind noise - especially at 70 (and no higher......) and the flaps come out like a frickin aeroplane.

I don't think water ingress is a particular problem Tom, but as others have stated, it'll probably eat away at you until you do it properly.  BTW, I used gorilla glue from memory.  It still went everywhere and took a number of washes to finally remove any visible glue.  They did stick though!

I used gorilla glue for the bodge in the pictures above and now I'm not sure if I'll be able to remove them :tongue:. Stuck like cement.

Thank's for all the help guys. It will be on the to do list and I'll get round to re doing it properly when the weather dries up.

• 1 month later...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club