Do Not Sell My Personal Information

handbrake

lasthope

info on handbrake for a ford focus 1.6tdci 2008,,is it shoes or pads I can see the hub but I don't no what's behind lol  just   my handbrake is on last click and car moves just a little,so don't no if just wanting a nip up and when I park car up over night the next day i try to pull away the wheels lock for a sec seems like it was biteing

I would try and see if its adjustment first .If you have a big circular hub then its shoes  If you can see a caliper like the front only smaller then its pads.

44 minutes ago, lasthope said:

info on handbrake for a ford focus 1.6tdci 2008

If it is disks, the shiny braking surface should be visible through the wheel.

For a dodgy handbrake, it can be a stiff or stretched cable, or a problem with the calipers or with the adjusting mechanism in the drum. Problems with the lever itself are much less common.

Either way, the starting point would be to remove the rear wheels. If it is disks & calipers, there is a bit of an explanation of how to adjust the handbrake & grease the cables, & test the calipers, in:

(You need to have the wheels off for this procedure to be able to see the caliper lever movement.)

I its hubs rusty at that lol,handbrake stops but if you can push car with it on,it will not role just like drags more people in car it will more more on hills

so have you worked out if it's discs or drums?   The front is discs. you can see the discs and the calipers at the front.  is back brake similar style or not.

if the handbrake is right up and the car still moves then there seems to be a serious problem. Cable is usually adjustable but adjusting up the cable is not normally the right answer, that just tries to compensate for another problem (eg. stuck adjusters inside the drum) and does not achieve the same effectivenes of result as getting to the root of the problem.

If the handbrake sticks when you release it then that is another problem and is not the same problem as the handbrake coming up to the top

Obviously you need to have it fixed as it is unacceptable for it to be like this.

To be honest, if you do not know how to tell whether it is disc or drum by looking at it, I don't believe you have the capability to fix it. Sorry if it sounds brutal.

• Like 1

I it is hub mate. handbrake will stop the car moving and for the handbrake sticking it just does it now and then.seems to do it when on last click only asked because I had a puncer and the lad who was doing it could not get a wheel nut loose,so he had to use his big t-bar and that's when my wheel moved so I give handbrake one more click then when he tried again the wheel just moved abit and then he says my handbrake need sorted

Every focus has hubs, the hubs are what the wheel is bolted onto, so if it's DISCS your wheel is bolted onto the hub, if it's DRUMS your wheel is bolted onto the hub. Drums have brake shoes. Discs have brake pads. Discs are shiny, drums are usually rusty, just think of them as a disc, like a frisbee, and a drum, ummmm, like a 🥁

• Like 2

yes its drum I do no abit about cars and what drums and disc are cheers,my last car had both on back pads and shoes,but that was a skoda

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club