Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta ST3 clunk when changing gear and accelerating?

Spikecast

Hi guys - wondering if anyone could shed any light on a problem I've noticed today. When changing gear and then accelerating I get a small clunk noise, at the point of changing gear and often (but not always) when I then start to accelerate. I don't get any other noise when I'm then driving, but it appears very noticeable between 1st - 3rd gear especially. Going to try and get it booked into a dealer but it's only done 2700 and I've had the car 3 weeks so a bit miffed really.

Could be the exhaust I put uprated hangers on mine and it was far better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

www.tomholroydphotography.co.uk

Would that still carry a noise when changing gear though?

The six speed box does seem to be very clunky, especially in the lower gears. I believe it is the gear linkage operating that makes most of the noise. Mine certainly has a clunk in first and second but I'd always assumed it was normal

Thanks, I might just get the car checked over for piece of mind, it's still well within the warranty. I don't recall noticing it when I got the car two weeks ago but often have the AC on full or music on.

Has your shocks ever been done (previous owner)? Supposedly if you over tighten the rear top nuts it can cause this noise. Happens in mine after drivers rear shock was replaced, haven't got it sorted yet. 

I think Ford owned the car previously so I assume it may have been a demo car, it's only done 2700 miles so I assume they won't have been touched.

11 hours ago, jbell said:

Has your shocks ever been done (previous owner)? Supposedly if you over tighten the rear top nuts it can cause this noise. Happens in mine after drivers rear shock was replaced, haven't got it sorted yet. 

Interesting, I have lowered mine but the top nuts on the rear shocks were the only ones I didn't have to touch. I wonder if the issue can be caused by over tightening some of the other suspension parts, when I reinstalled the front struts for example...

• 4 weeks later...

Just had this in to my local EH Ford branch and they've confirmed there is a noise which they can't explain what it is without stripping the gearbox down. They've confirmed they have a 65 plate in their showroom which they've compared it to and mine does sound "different". They've advised that I wait 3 months before taking it back in to see if the noise gets worse as they feel they will struggle to pinpoint the issue. I've only had the car 5-6 weeks so I've contacted the original dealer to see what they are going to do about it.