Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mixing oil with diesel

Liam121093

I have heard of people mixing oil with diesel for better lubricating and a better burn.

Is this a good idea? and if so anyone no the ratio?

There is a school of thought that doing this compensates for the reduction in suphur in modern diesel. I don't think anyone has done any definitive studies on it though.

If you want to try it you should use a good low-ash two-stroke oil at a ratio of about 1 part in 200.

I'd be careful mixing anything with your diesel; injectors on modern cars are designed to take anything more than diesel and mixing oil in could block the injectors.

In addition if you have a DPF it could also clog the it and cause early failure.

FYI, diesel is already extremely lubricating so it doesn't need any 'help'.

Use a premium diesel ideally BP as Ford recommends. I always use BP Ultimate where I can as Shell V-Power causes my DPF to regenerate a lot more frequently than normal Shell/BP/Esso. I don't touch supermarket fuel either due to the lack of additives.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice think i'll leave it and just stick with BP.

5 hours ago, DJ_Andy_M said:

Use a premium diesel ideally BP as Ford recommends. I always use BP Ultimate where I can as Shell V-Power causes my DPF to regenerate a lot more frequently than normal Shell/BP/Esso. I don't touch supermarket fuel either due to the lack of additives.

Surprisingly Tesco Momentum 99 is reputed to be one of the best fuels you can get though... so much for rubbish supermarket fuels.

TBH, I think the whole supermarket fuel thing is a load of rubbish; I believe there are only 3 refineries in the UK and they supply all of the fuel stations including supermarkets.

Refineries are not the be all and end all of Diesel and Petrol production, additives are mixed with the base fuel afterwards, different additives for different suppliers so yes there are only a small number of refineries but there are countless variations to the base fuel that is produced

The Lube in diesel comes from the sulphur, low sulphur = low lube, there isn't any dark art to all that.  Ive been adding around 200ml of 2 stroke low ash mineral oil to a full tank for years, theres a noticeable improvement in mpg and noise, approx. 4dB at idle and about 5 mpg on the motorway. Tescos premium isn't the same as tescos regular, so yes it is better, but its better because of the additives put in it.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Dee_82 said:

I've been adding around 200ml of 2 stroke low ash mineral oil to a full tank for years, theres a noticeable improvement in mpg and noise, approx. 4dB at idle and about 5 mpg on the motorway. 

What does that do to your emissions though? Does it affect them come MOT time (or whatever the local equivalent is in your area).

my emissions,

regarding smoke test are better now then when I brought the car!

due to the way the car works in a smoke test, it never actually hits peak fuel. even smacking in to the rev limiter. The car is pretty cleaver, no load, low fuel supply. :) 

unless they did the smoke test on a rolling road or you car is utter trashed / major boost leak you'll be struggling to fail an MOT smoke test :)

to be fair, I have a rear mounter cam and haven't seen any large smoke deposits, I get the occasional water vapour burst on a cold evening under heavy load but nothing more 

around the 1min mark 

On 8/7/2017 at 7:36 PM, iFocus said:

Surprisingly Tesco Momentum 99 is reputed to be one of the best fuels you can get though... so much for rubbish supermarket fuels.

TBH, I think the whole supermarket fuel thing is a load of rubbish; I believe there are only 3 refineries in the UK and they supply all of the fuel stations including supermarkets.

This is true but the supermarket fuel is of a lower standard compared to the likes of BP for example. The supermarket fuel is of high enough quality to meet British and EU Standards but not BP's and Shell's own higher standards.  

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club