Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brake fluid leak

zain611

Took the car for MOT today and unfortunately it failed as the brake pedal when pressed would begin to go further in when more pressure is applied. After MOT and going out to a few places I got several messages pop up saying the brake fluid levels are low. Came home and put some brake fluid in and noticed it was leaking I'd say near the back driver side wheel. Am planning on getting that brake fluid tubing which runs through the bottom of the car. Hopefully this would fix this but wanted some thoughts to wherever this could of caused the brake pedal to go further in than it should. Did the MOT a month early so have that time to sort it out 

You can't use the car now it's failed the mot. Is the leak coming from the break pipe? If so then yes this should solve the problem. Even though you got your car moted early you still can't use is at it's just failed an mot witch invalidates your old one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

This is exactly what the M.O.T is for picking up dangerous faults like this. Are you sure the brake lines are at fault? and yes a leak/air in system would cause the brake pedal to travel

If its not something your familiar with doing or diagnosing I seriously would recommend getting someone qualified to rectify the problem after all the brakes are one of if not the most important function on a car

• Like 1

My dad is into his mechanic work and he said he's going to check under the car tomorrow to make sure its the pipe which may have broke. Won't drive the car till this is done as I know how dangerous this can be. Will take a pic of where the fluid is leaking from just so everyone can see where. At first we thought it was the brake master cylinder when they told us about the brake pedal but seeing where the leak is most likely is the piping. 

• Like 1

the metal brake pipes are steel. they do have some protection on them which seems to be a plastic coating and then under that there is some sort of plating (zinc or something). they do last a lot longer then they did years ago (1960s/1970s cars) but they do start rusting eventually, particularly in places where mud/damp lumps of dirt remain up against them. so it is possible it is a localised rust patch where there are pin holes of rust through it. MOT testers do check the pipes for corrosion of an extent where it is weakened but no dismantling is allowed and this means that they can not see every bit of pipe around it's whole circumference.   if it does need a new pipe then a roll of copper brake pipe and a pipe flaring tool is what you need. you still need to know what you are doing though 

Unlikely to be the pipe.   If it was you would probably run out of brake fluid by now.   More likely to be a leaky wheel cylinder.

Yesterday when the car came back from doing the  MOT I went home then about an hour later went somewhere quickly. It was when I came back I got a message popping up on the screen saying the brake fluid levels are low. When I came home again I noticed a big patch on the driveway. Thought that could of been just water but when my dad checked and topped up more brake fluid I noticed after a few minutes there was a small puddle of brake fluid under the car. Was going to take a picture but it's raining so can't see the leak. Have to go by bus out in the rain to my voluntary work 😢 

Just was told by the MOT guy it's the pipe which goes to brake master cylinder not the master cylinder itself 

So managed to get the pipe out and have found the leak so will get that changed. We also took the pipe out the other side to change just for peace of mind. The pipe on the right is the one with the hole which is where the dirt is. Also checked the rear drums as there was an advisory about the handbrake but luckily there's no problem with the shoes or cylinder so will get it adjusted tomorrow 

DSC_0044.JPG

DSC_0045.JPG

• 2 years later...

Always remember if you are leaking break flewid keep in gear as when this runs out hand break no longer  works so car can roll 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club