Do Not Sell My Personal Information

HID, Halogen, LED...what's best?

LocheeBhoy

Okay, so looking for your opinions on the pros and cons of each option, what's good, bad and ultimately...what's best.

I've owned my mk7.5 fiesta 5 door Titanium since new...now three years old and I'm NOT about to spend another winter driving around with the crap bulbs that Ford seem to enjoy fitting as standard equipment!

I'm looking to change all the bulbs out, front and rear, (and interior lights) in time for the winter months that will no doubt he here before we know it...so what should I go for?

I'm really disappointed with the factory fitted bulbs on the headlights, but would quite like a more modern look so am considering HID's for main beam and Osram Nghtbreaker Laser or Unlimited for high beam.

also thinking of using LED's for indicators, etc, but no idea how to tell a good LED from a lesser made product.

only bulbs I'm thinking of leaving standard are front and rear fogs as I think I've used them probably twice since new and so really can't recall how effective they were, but given they're so rarely used I don't see the point in changing them out, unless they blow of course!

Lastly I'm also trying to pluck the courage up to remove the headlamp units, bake them, open them up and go for the "black" look...any advice/suggestions on this would also be most welcome. 👍🏻

be interesting to read your thoughts...

Well if you've got halogens at the moment, converting them to LED or HID without the appropriate projectors, automatic levelling and washers is illegal. Secondly good luck getting your insurance company to insure your car.

There are plenty of threads about on this forum regarding the legalities of doing this, and the effect you'll have on other road users by doing so.

4 hours ago, DJ_Andy_M said:

Well if you've got halogens at the moment, converting them to LED or HID without the appropriate projectors, automatic levelling and washers is illegal. Secondly good luck getting your insurance company to insure your car.

There are plenty of threads about on this forum regarding the legalities of doing this, and the effect you'll have on other road users by doing so.

What about using LEDs for the interior, or to replace number plate and indicator bulbs...do you think my insurance company will have issue with me on this?

I have read some of the other threads you mention, but as a relatively new member I'm genuinely finding it all rather confusing about what's acceptable.  I'm fully aware that although some things may be illegal in the strict sense of the word, there are obviously certain mods that are likely to have your car taken off the road, result in a friendly advice at the roadside, and others that are basically ignored/overlooked/turned a blind eye too.

• Like 1

My mk6 fiesta zetec s came with HIDs which the previous owner had installed. I took the car for MOT and didn't have no questions or advisories about them. The HIDs have a cover at the bottom of them to prevent all the light from shining at the bottom of the reflectors and causing a spreaded out beam. They are nice and bright making it safer when night driving. My uncle has LEDs in his car and he did have an advisory about them however the MOT people aligned them to the legal limit. He hasn't had problems with it for about a year since he installed them

• Like 1

Okay, so if you have reflector units then do not fit HID kits. The beam pattern is unpredictable and dangerous for oncoming vehicles. It doesn't matter if the bulb and kit say it is designed for a reflector unit, it doesn't work.

If you have projector units then HID kits are much better. Steer clear from eBay, chinese knock offs are not worth it. When looking at colour then to get the OEM look choose either 6000K or 5000K. Anything lower looks yellow and anything higher looks blue-purple. The more 'blue colour' the light has, the less effective they are when it comes to improving your vision. Get a 55W kit not 100W, and make sure you get CANbus ballasts. No HID aftermarket kit is type approved so therefore not road legal, they will be marked as 'off road/show use. As you will know they are widely used on the roads and a good kit fitted well will not get your collar felt by officer Dibble. If/when you tell the insurance company what you have done then say to them you have fitted 'upgraded bulbs to improve your vision at night'. Avoid saying you have fitted an HID Kit but don't lie if they specifically ask you, that way your insurance company are aware. You can always ask your insurance company if it would affect the premium to upgrade the lights, that way you can decide what to do. If they say it is free then you can say you have already done it [emoji6]

MOT wise they are only going to fail you on 1 of 2 issues. Beam Pattern and/or lamp not illuminating. Washers and self levelling is only required to be working 'if present'. If it has never been there then it doesn't matter. An MOT tester is not allowed to remove the bulb cover to look at the bulb itself so cannot fail you by saying it is not 'type approved'. A kit can be removed in 15 mins and stock bulbs replaced before an MOT if you wanted to.

If you do fit a kit then it's a good idea to take the car along to a garage that carries out MOTs and ask them to check the height and alignment of the bulb. Most will do it for a couple of beer tokens.

Make sure any bulbs you replace either inside or out have CANbus error free resistors. If you don't then you could get a bulb out warning on the dash as they do not draw as much current so the car thinks the bulb is not working. Go for the latest CREE chip as they are less likely to fail. Where possible replace bulbs in pairs.

As above, AutoBeam is your friend. They sell good quality bulbs with a warranty and excellent customer service. I think the owner is actually a member. PM me for a discount code if you are buying from them, I have no affiliation with them. Hope some of this has been useful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

Okay, so if you have reflector units then do not fit HID kits. The beam pattern is unpredictable and dangerous for oncoming vehicles. It doesn't matter if the bulb and kit say it is designed for a reflector unit, it doesn't work.

If you have projector units then HID kits are much better. Steer clear from eBay, chinese knock offs are not worth it. When looking at colour then to get the OEM look choose either 6000K or 5000K. Anything lower looks yellow and anything higher looks blue-purple. The more 'blue colour' the light has, the less effective they are when it comes to improving your vision. Get a 55W kit not 100W, and make sure you get CANbus ballasts. No HID aftermarket kit is type approved so therefore not road legal, they will be marked as 'off road/show use. As you will know they are widely used on the roads and a good kit fitted well will not get your collar felt by officer Dibble. If/when you tell the insurance company what you have done then say to them you have fitted 'upgraded bulbs to improve your vision at night'. Avoid saying you have fitted an HID kit but don't lie if they specifically ask you, that way your insurance company are aware. You can always ask your insurance company if it would affect the premium to upgrade the lights, that way you can decide what to do. If they say it is free then you can say you have already done it emoji6.png

MOT wise they are only going to fail you on 1 of 2 issues. Beam Pattern and/or lamp not illuminating. Washers and self levelling is only required to be working 'if present'. If it has never been there then it doesn't matter. An MOT tester is not allowed to remove the bulb cover to look at the bulb itself so cannot fail you by saying it is not 'type approved'. A kit can be removed in 15 mins and stock bulbs replaced before an MOT if you wanted to.

If you do fit a kit then it's a good idea to take the car along to a garage that carries out MOTs and ask them to check the height and alignment of the bulb. Most will do it for a couple of beer tokens.

Make sure any bulbs you replace either inside or out have CANbus error free resistors. If you don't then you could get a bulb out warning on the dash as they do not draw as much current so the car thinks the bulb is not working. Go for the latest CREE chip as they are less likely to fail. Where possible replace bulbs in pairs.

As above, AutoBeam is your friend. They sell good quality bulbs with a warranty and excellent customer service. I think the owner is actually a member. PM me for a discount code if you are buying from them, I have no affiliation with them. Hope some of this has been useful.

Thank you Jon for taking the time to compose such a detailed and comprehensive response, I feel a lot more confident about this now.

will let you know what options I end up going for and will post some before and after pics.

will also PM you...😉👍🏻

• Like 1

14 hours ago, LocheeBhoy said:

What about using LEDs for the interior, or to replace number plate and indicator bulbs...do you think my insurance company will have issue with me on this?

I have read some of the other threads you mention, but as a relatively new member I'm genuinely finding it all rather confusing about what's acceptable.  I'm fully aware that although some things may be illegal in the strict sense of the word, there are obviously certain mods that are likely to have your car taken off the road, result in a friendly advice at the roadside, and others that are basically ignored/overlooked/turned a blind eye too.

Interior LEDs not an issue. Dump as many of those old bulb suckers as you can. Number plates are alright to do. Other lights like side lights should be ok, but make sure your brake lights, and indicators are decent ones because they need to be bright, and if they fail that could be the line between someone stopping in time and hitting you.

• Like 2

No problem @LocheeBhoy glad to help. I'll keep an eye on my inbox too. Photos would be great, also try and link any bulbs you buy so that other owners can do the same. It's really helpful to people especially if they aren't quite sure what will work/look good etc.

As above, I would recommend changing as many of the Halogen bulbs inside the car as you can. The CANbus system doesn't monitor interior bulbs like it does exterior. The number plate bulbs are a nice little mod but these are usually monitored so get error free ones with a heat sink on the rear if you are going for bulbs only. I would recommend buying a complete unit as they tend to last longer. Side lights need to be error free (CREE are the brightest) as do brake and indicator bulbs. The car can be very sensitive to these bulbs being changed, the advantage is that they are a lot brighter and illuminate a lot quicker.

Remember, LEDs are polarity sensitive so if the bulb does not work first time then remove it and turn it through 180degrees. Also, when changing reverse/brake/signal bulbs bear in mind that the Halogen bulbs rely on the reflector within the housing to give maximum visibility to other road users. If using LEDs I would recommend you use a bulb that has several chips around the bulb that will bounce light off the reflector.

• Like 1

I have fitted Osram Nightbreaker Plus into mine for both dipped and full beam.  They are amazing.  the difference between these and the standard OEM fitted ones is like night and day.  They are extremely bright and whiter than standard (though not as white as LED or HID).  For the £12 or so for each pack of 2 bulbs I'm very happy,  I have thought about LED but starting to read into them it seems a bit of a minefield.  I have had people in the car comment on how bright they are and how much of the road they light up.  As far as insurance goes I have never mentioned to them about these but, I can't see there being any issues as they are road legal.

• Like 1

You wouldn't need to tell your insurance about them, they are just like for like Halogen bulbs. It's just like putting a new tyre on, you don't ring them then [emoji16]

• Like 1

On 09/08/2017 at 1:27 PM, kpg said:

Yea go halogen and something like Osram Hyper Blues.

They actually have a new version of the Cool Blues out:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322537407487

Osram Cool blue boost are noted on powerbulbs.com as "not road legal"

2 hours ago, ayrshiredude said:

I have fitted Osram Nightbreaker Plus into mine for both dipped and full beam.  They are amazing.  the difference between these and the standard OEM fitted ones is like night and day.  They are extremely bright and whiter than standard (though not as white as LED or HID).  For the £12 or so for each pack of 2 bulbs I'm very happy,  I have thought about LED but starting to read into them it seems a bit of a minefield.  I have had people in the car comment on how bright they are and how much of the road they light up.  As far as insurance goes I have never mentioned to them about these but, I can't see there being any issues as they are road legal.

Agree 100%

• Like 1

I agree with both the comments @Jezza54 made. I have used nightbreaker before and they are great. The newest ones are NightBreaker Laser which have been marketed to compete with Phillips Xtreme vision. Both of which offer +130% increase of light compared to standard Halogen bulbs. I use the Phillips ones as the reliability has, in the past been proven to be better than Osram equivalent. It is too early to say regarding the reliability/longevity of the Laser bulbs. I do like the Phillips bulbs, miles better than the OEM bulbs Ford chuck in, but they don't compare with an HID upgrade. However, they are (Phillips & Osram) road legal, and everything else discussed on this thread isn't.

EDIT; I meant to say that @ayrshiredude was spot on with his comments too.

• Like 2

I have heard good reviews about the Phillips xtreme vision bulbs however the colour temperature I think is a little more yellow than an OEM bulb. Philips also do another one called white vision which says on the box 4300k meaning it gives a nice xenon white beam however the brightness is not as good as the xtreme vision as it says gives 60% extra light. The higher the kelvin output on a halogen bulb the lower the light output which is why some Phillips bulbs say they are not road legal. 

Just to point out that projector lenses are a requirement for Xenon lights at least.  However, the leveling and washers are only a requirement if the light output is above a certain limit (I think 2000 lumens). A lot of cars are being build and sold with xenons that have neither washers or automatic leveling including BMW/MINI and FIAT.

Whilst lower lumens are going to mean less output, they are still beneficial when compared to your standard halogens because of the temperature of the light.

On 14/08/2017 at 0:33 PM, GaryPL said:

Just to point out that projector lenses are a requirement for Xenon lights at least.  However, the leveling and washers are only a requirement if the light output is above a certain limit (I think 2000 lumens). A lot of cars are being build and sold with xenons that have neither washers or automatic leveling including BMW/MINI and FIAT.

Whilst lower lumens are going to mean less output, they are still beneficial when compared to your standard halogens because of the temperature of the light.

All cars in the UK with Xenon/LED bulbs must have automatic levelling and washers.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/408941/aftermarket-hid-headlamps.pdf

2 minutes ago, DJ_Andy_M said:

All cars in the UK with Xenon/LED bulbs must have automatic levelling and washers.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/408941/aftermarket-hid-headlamps.pdf

That's a rather old note.

It may still stand for converting to xenons but new vehicles with xenons and a Lumen level below 2,000 do not need to have self levelling and washers.  Some also state a power below 25/35 watts is also relevant.  I can't find the specific legislation, but googling new xenon no washer reveals that pretty much every manufacturer is installing xenons without washers and self-levelling now... Vauxhall, Nissan, Mercedes, Alfa-Romeo, BMW, Renault, Skoda, and so on.

Semi-credible source available here - http://www.skoda-auto.com/en/news/2013-07-04-rapid.

Regarding the two posts above the DoT and MOT guidelines are not yet the same and this is where the loop hole lies. The DoT says that HIDs "must" have these items fitted whereas the MOT guidelines state they must be working "if" fitted. So the answer is that while true HIDs without these are illegal, they will not fail an MOT. It's worth saying at this point ALL aftermarket kits are illegal without exception as the are not type approved.

It is also important to note that Xenon and HID are not the same. Xenon bulbs do not need Self levellers and Washers but HID do. Xenon bulbs have a standard Halogen filament but the lenses are painted on the outside to give them a blue tinge, or they have a standard Halogen filament and a mixed gas to give them the blue tinge. Both of which imitate an HID bulb. An HID bulb has no filament, It is filled with Xenon gas which ignites between two points and creates an arc. The gas then ignites at a higher colour temp measured in Kelvin, this does not always have a direct correlation to light output which is measured in Lumens. The lower the Kelvin the more of a yellow light is emitted, the higher the Kelvin the more of a blue/purple colour is emitted. A car manufacturer normally uses a bulb between 5000-6000K. The luminosity of the bulb, the amount of light emitted is measured in Lumens.

'Xenon' gas filled bulbs can often emit less light than a standard Halogen bulb in its quest to chase an HID look. 4300K is a quite noticeable yellow colour and I cannot see it being brighter than the x-treme vision, or closer to OEM. As I said I have the X-treme vision bulbs and they are not in the slightest bit yellow.

I think we're all agreed that aftermarket xenon headlights are illegal.

But I'm still struggling to believe that pretty much every car manufacturer would get away with fitting illegal lights (or even those in the grey area of the law). My new car has washers etc. But I was having a look round a friend's car earlier and theirs does not. And it's how the car came from the factory. They are definitely xenon as well. You can tell because there's a split second where the light output has to settle down with xenon headlights and both of our cars do this.

Every new car model is subject to batch testing whereby vehicles are randomly selected from the production line. I just can't believe that not a single one of these new cars has been picked up for illegal lights. They are even subject to new car rules and not the MOT ones because you don't get a test done for the first 3 years. In addition, car manufacturers are notoriously cautious when it comes to safety items on cars - especially when selling into the American and European markets.

I just wish I could find the definitive fact somewhere!

It took me a while @GaryPL but I have found the definitive fact you have been looking for [emoji846]

This is what it says;
"Dipped-beam headlamps with a light source or LED module( s) producing the principal dipped-beam and having a total objective luminous flux which exceeds 2,000 lumen shall only be installed in conjunction with the installation of headlamp cleaning device( s) according to Regulation No. 45"

So by omission, anything below 2,000 lumen does not require a cleaning device.

It can be found in he link below, the quote forms part of ECE regulation 48.

https://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/trans/main/wp29/wp29regs/2013/R048r9e.pdf#page21

• Like 1

I could kiss you!

I don't always talk out of my backside!

I could kiss you!
I don't always talk out of my backside!

My wife might have something to say about that, me on the other hand - you would have to at least buy me a drink first lol

It was kind of hard to find and buried away, it wasn't with the original regulations it's an odd on.

I'm glad I have seen it too, not that I don't believe you - you have taught me something new so I should be kissing you, I just evidenced it. [emoji12]

So,

the real question.

if I upgraded to Autobeam LED headlights on a MK7.5 Fiesta (UK), do I need a cleaning device or anything like that?

The real question is why would you?