Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Knocking clutch and crunchy gears

Jameslx

So recently I had a new water pump fitted (about 2 weeks ago) as the engine noise was loud and a background grinding sound could be heard so I got that sorted...then the other night as I've been pulling into my drive I've dipped the clutch and heard this constant knocking noise , as soon as I take my foot off the clutch the noise goes away, I've done some research and it's pointed me to the dmf/clutch which I've also heard is expensive as sh*t! I booked it in my local garage and explained the knocking and as I'm writing this the cars at the garage now, he's jacked the car up and told me it isn't the clutch making the knocking he said it's a couple of rear mounts but he can't exactly pinpoint where they are just yet without having a proper look, I have a 2004 fiesta lx 1.25 , also this isn't a question as such more so I wanna hear if others have experienced similar and could give me an estimate on cost if it is some mounts? 

do you get the noise when the car is stationary and you put your foot on the clutch and then the noise goes away when you take your foot off the clutch whilst still stationary?

if that is the case I do not see how it could be engine mountings.

if do you get the noise when the car is stationary and you put your foot on the clutch and then the noise goes away when you take your foot off the clutch whilst still stationary then I can't see it can be anything other than inside the bellhousing where the clutch/flywheel is. (eg. clutch release bearing/ clutch pressure plate)

Anyway, I reckon your car does not have a dmf.  they are usually found in diesels, I do not know if any petrol cars have them at all. (DMF is try to smooth out the high torque pulses of diessel engines)

• Like 1

It is quite common for 3-cylinder petrol engines to have DMFs given that they are inherently out of balance and somewhat 'pulsey' as a result. They ought not to present as many issues as in diesels though given the absence of the high torque that exist with diesels as you say. 

(Edit: Just spotted that the OP has a 4-cylinder so very unlikey to have one) 

Thank you for the reply! & I isetta I think you may be right the mechanic did say to me it might not even have a dmf , I've been to the garage this morning and gathered some more info he's showed me the mount and it had play in it and the rubber was worn and nackered.. it's gonna cost me £70 for a new one , and yeah the knocking definitely only occurs when the clutch is pressed and goes away and soon as I release it, , he's told me my clutch is on the way out but it still has a bit of life left on & he's quoted me £170 for a new one .. he said the mount may not be the cause of the knocking but the fact it's worn out and moves might mean it's causing something else to kncok, either way I'm collecting the car in an hour so we will see ( I did try and record a video of the knocking but my phone just wasn't picking it up)

IMG_0500.PNG

Edited by Jameslx
Missed abit out

Just an update I've got the car back now and the knocking completely gone, I am going to get a new clutch in a month or so but not right now as it's not urgently needed, so yeah knocking noise with clutch doesn't always mean big £ ay 

Another update man so the knocking came back more or less straight away and ever since it comes and goes, ide say 3/5 times I press on the clutch the knocking can be heard so I'm just gonna get a new clutch kit in about a month and it should be good, I mentioned the reverse gear always crunches and first and third gear are stiff sometimes , will this be fixed when I get the new clutch kit or would I need to get additional work to fix the stiff gears ??

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club