Do Not Sell My Personal Information

*Please Help--Dull Banging From Rear (bumps,speedbumps,etc)

MarcFiesta60

Hi FordOwnersClub 

i thought I would ask here before I go and potentially get ripped off else where and would be very great full for your guys advice. 

Ive had a banging/thudding noise from the rear of my 2010 fiesta detective the sound I can only describe as a rubber ball swinging on a string hitting empty bath tub lol 

when going over speed bumps or when I reverse off my drive way when the wheels contact with the road off the Kirb slope the thudding is a consistent "thud thud" 

it has got louder over the last month or so

i originally thought it was something in the boot swinging hitting the left back seat as it was more of a light knock (had a bungee cord hanging from rear headrest into boot which I removed as I thought it was dinging on the metal rear of the backseat) but unfortunately it's now must of hit puberty as it's louder and deeper and is as described a rubber ball hitting empty metal

any thoughts guy? 

I really don't want to take it to ford as my last experience with them they stole my engine cover and drivers floor matt and denied all knowledge even went as far to tell me "why would we enter the car, when performing a service??" F'ing clowns 

any help or advice would be great

thanks  guys

I'd check your dampers, look for leaks and see if you can move them side to side. Also get underneath and see if your exhaust is knocking on anything. The rubber hangers may be giving way. 

Thanks for the ThaiFiesta, I've squeezed underneath nothing seems loose or leaking I've driven round with literally nothing in the boot and the seats down, exhaust is a bit wobbly but I have sat in the car and had a friend bang and rattle and shake different spots but cant replicate the noise and position,

i can however get it to make the same noise with the boot open and literally bounce the rear of the car by pushing agressivly (car was bunny hopping lol) even went as far to stand in the boot and bounce up and down which does cause the same knocking, really hoping it's not suspension as it's only done 28k since New

Have you checked that the spare tyre and jack (or the foam insert and tools if no spare), are all secured?

Theres also fuel lines in that area that could be loose 

Also get underneath and check the rubber mounts at the top of the springs. They decay quite quickly. The only other thing I can think of would be suspension bushings. You can often check them visually or get underneath and have someone bounce as you've suggested. 

I have the same noise, but it is quite muted.  I have checked the exhaust is not knocking against anything and taken absolutely everything out of the boot and the noise is still there.  Interestingly it does not happen if I have a couple of passengers in the back.

18 minutes ago, Trewithy said:

I have the same noise, but it is quite muted.  I have checked the exhaust is not knocking against anything and taken absolutely everything out of the boot and the noise is still there.  Interestingly it does not happen if I have a couple of passengers in the back.

Try looking at the pins on the rear seats that latch into the rear of the car, I had similar on a mk6 fiesta and when you grasped the seat backs and tugged them hard you could hear them knocking so I wrapped some black electrical tape around them, problem solved. (Just the fact you mentioned no noise when you have rear passengers!)

• Like 1

Thanks for your suggestion Russ, I'll give it a go.

• Like 1

I tried wrapping tape around the rear seat latches but the noise was still happening.  I gave everything in the area of the seats a good shake and I had suspicions about the rear off side head rest.  Normally I leave them in the raised position but I pushed them fully down this morning.  I have only been out once since then so it is early days but I think that has cured the problem.

If it hasn't then I read another thread where the problem was the hatch closing mechanism being loose around the latch. Electricians tape seemed to fix that problem. 

• Like 1

I forgot to say in my previous post that another area I looked at was the rear shelf.  There are two rubber bungs that should be tight against the rear hatch when it is closed.  Mine were just not touching, I checked this by leaning over from the rear seat and I could feel they were not making contact.  I wrapped a shoe lace round and round the between the bungs and the shelf to make them stand out  a bit more from the shelf so they are now tight against the hatch when it is closed.  I also put a piece of foam beneath the feet each side of the shelf where they sit on the hard plastic trim.  All the measures I have taken have definitely stopped the noise and the car is a joy to drive once again. 

• 4 weeks later...

If you say you are getting the same noise with the boot open then it may not be this, but as mentioned above, it may be the boot latch. To be specific it will be the Pin not the latch and also as mentioned above a little tape around it will stop it. You can, with a star key, loosen the pin and move it slightly and re-tighten. This will solve the problem.....if this is what is causing the knocking. I know how frustrating this is as i after buying my fiesta i drove around for a week, going crazy, trying to figure out what was making the horrible dull knocking noise

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club