Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Fiesta Ecoboost Titanium 5dr

Frank Machin

Hi all

Thinking of buying a used Ford Fiesta Ecoboost Titanium 5dr from a dealer next week. Anyone owners able to give me an opinion of the car etc..and any issues they have please? anything i should be looking for when i go and view next week?

cheers 

I have the exact car and it's great.   Make sure the stop / start works or it may need a new battery or battery condition sensor.

• Like 1

I have a fiesta too. I have the 100ps engine and it is a titanium spec. The car is nice, it's goes well and is fairly comfortable. You get a lot for your money. As above the stop/start system can be adversely by a defective battery. We have had no mechanical issues with ours, and we had a 2014 one and now this one. I will say that I don't like the gear ratios and turbo lag. It feels as though the turbo doesn't kick in until about 2500rpm, the car likes to be in lower gears. The car doesn't feel happy in 5th until at least 40mph although some disagree (a lot more agree). The wife likes it though [emoji846]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

As you can see from my post I have a few issues with mine. One other thing not mentioned here is the passenger seat belt keeps locking up when trying to put it on. Very annoying pulling out about 1cm at a time. Not been back to dealer yet as Sept is the earliest they can fit it in. !! Overall I am pleased. Just make sure what you think is fitted is there.

• Like 1

The Fiesta is a great car to drive and you get a lot for your money (on paper at least).  But there are reasons why I wouldn't ever touch another Ford, let alone a 1.0 EcoBoost.

A not insignificant number of 1.0 EcoBoosts are cooking themselves at worryingly low mileages...  I appreciate that a lot of these engines are sold, but catastrophic engine failure is (and should be) exceptionally rare.  Like unbelievably and near unheard of kind of rare.  And even if it is comparatively rare, the fact is - this engine has the ability to kill itself almost instantly (and without warning) through just losing a bit of coolant.  This is a pretty major design flaw.  For comparison, I understand that Honda for example, have a grand total of no catastrophic engine failures in the last few years.  Yes, every engine will have bits that go wrong - but almost nothing should necessitate a £5,000 bill for replacing the whole thing.  This Facebook group makes for revealing reading - [deleted].  It also supplies anecdotal evidence that some dealers are either avoiding the EcoBoosts altogether or making punitive purchase offers that only desperate owners would consider.

Worse still though, is that you should be prepared for Ford's abysmal customer service.  I think many on this forum will have had some sort of bad experience with their local dealer or the Ford CRC.  I never had a smooth (or even tolerable) time with Ford as they screwed up on multiple occasions with but the purchase and repair of my car. Links to my stories are in my signature.  And the stories in the Facebook group above corroborate my own experiences.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, GaryPL said:

The Fiesta is a great car to drive and you get a lot for your money (on paper at least).  But there are reasons why I wouldn't ever touch another Ford, let alone a 1.0 EcoBoost.

A not insignificant number of 1.0 EcoBoosts are cooking themselves at worryingly low mileages...  I appreciate that a lot of these engines are sold, but catastrophic engine failure is (and should be) exceptionally rare.  Like unbelievably and near unheard of kind of rare.  And even if it is comparatively rare, the fact is - this engine has the ability to kill itself almost instantly (and without warning) through just losing a bit of coolant.  This is a pretty major design flaw.  For comparison, I understand that Honda for example, have a grand total of no catastrophic engine failures in the last few years.  Yes, every engine will have bits that go wrong - but almost nothing should necessitate a £5,000 bill for replacing the whole thing.  This Facebook group makes for revealing reading - https://www.facebook.com/groups/FordEcoboostNightmare/.  It also supplies anecdotal evidence that some dealers are either avoiding the EcoBoosts altogether or making punitive purchase offers that only desperate owners would consider.

Worse still though, is that you should be prepared for Ford's abysmal customer service.  I think many on this forum will have had some sort of bad experience with their local dealer or the Ford CRC.  I never had a smooth (or even tolerable) time with Ford as they screwed up on multiple occasions with but the purchase and repair of my car. Links to my stories are in my signature.  And the stories in the Facebook group above corroborate my own experiences.

Have you still got your Swift how is it? - and what do you think of the new one

13 minutes ago, Tiexen said:

Have you still got your Swift how is it? - and what do you think of the new one

Still got the Swift.  It's great fun to drive.  More so than the Fiesta in some ways.  You have to rev the nuts off of it to make great pace, but this is fine as it sounds good, albeit not as satisfying to listen to as an EcoBoost engine.  Had one issue with a headlight flickering but this was sorted quickly by the dealer.  Literally, I had been home for an hour and a phone call came through asking me to come back!  The interior creaks and rattles in places, but I am hunting these down.  Not anything like as much as the Fiesta though.   For a genuine budget car, I am impressed.

Not been in the new Swift although I hear the interior is upgraded.  It wasn't available when I bought mine.  I am in two minds about the looks.  It's not quite as distinctive as its predecessor and I think it bears similarities to the Mazda 2.   I also think the 5 door only thing is a mistake too.  Do you like it?

34 minutes ago, GaryPL said:

Still got the Swift.  It's great fun to drive.  More so than the Fiesta in some ways.  You have to rev the nuts off of it to make great pace, but this is fine as it sounds good, albeit not as satisfying to listen to as an EcoBoost engine.  Had one issue with a headlight flickering but this was sorted quickly by the dealer.  Literally, I had been home for an hour and a phone call came through asking me to come back!  The interior creaks and rattles in places, but I am hunting these down.  Not anything like as much as the Fiesta though.   For a genuine budget car, I am impressed.

Not been in the new Swift although I hear the interior is upgraded.  It wasn't available when I bought mine.  I am in two minds about the looks.  It's not quite as distinctive as its predecessor and I think it bears similarities to the Mazda 2.   I also think the 5 door only thing is a mistake too.  Do you like it?

Quite like the front but the rear around the back windows looks a bit odd but the upcoming 1.4 sport looks interesting, also fancy the DS3.

My Fiesta has been good as gold, and I've never had a problems with my Ford dealer over the last 4 Ford cars I've owned but once the warranty runs out I will have to think about what to do.

I've had a number of Fords including 4 Fiestas.   Always dealt with Sandicliffe and have always received excellent service.   Had a couple of problems with my currect Fiesta including stop/start, front roll bar bushes and boot lock.   All were put right quickly and free of charge.   With the stop/start problem I was given a courtesy car for a week.   Can't fault them.

I am glad some people have had positive experiences with dealerships.  Of the two that I availed myself to, neither was acceptable.  Both 'Trust' Ford.

Hmmmmm, it's a bit of a worry. I do very few miles and usually keep cars until they fall to bits.

I'll be checking my levels tomorrow :ohmy:

9 hours ago, GaryPL said:

I am glad some people have had positive experiences with dealerships.  Of the two that I availed myself to, neither was acceptable.  Both 'Trust' Ford.

Which used to be Dagenham Ford if I remember rightly, and it had a poor reputation then.

RT Rates in Grays has always treated me well, they changed a shock absorber out if warranty because they said it shouldn't have failed at that mileage.

Do you know if the other makes 3cyl turbos (Suzuki Swift) (PSA DS3) have the same issue?

14 hours ago, GaryPL said:

A not insignificant number of 1.0 EcoBoosts are cooking themselves at worryingly low mileages...  I appreciate that a lot of these engines are sold, but catastrophic engine failure is (and should be) exceptionally rare.  Like unbelievably and near unheard of kind of rare.  And even if it is comparatively rare, the fact is - this engine has the ability to kill itself almost instantly (and without warning) through just losing a bit of coolant.  This is a pretty major design flaw.  For comparison, I understand that Honda for example, have a grand total of no catastrophic engine failures in the last few years.  Yes, every engine will have bits that go wrong - but almost nothing should necessitate a £5,000 bill for replacing the whole thing.  This Facebook group makes for revealing reading - https://www.facebook.com/groups/FordEcoboostNightmare/.  It also supplies anecdotal evidence that some dealers are either avoiding the EcoBoosts altogether or making punitive purchase offers that only desperate owners would consider.

The Ecoboost coolant failures are mainly Focus related due to a dodgy hose.

The same problem is not evident in Fiesta as it has a different coolant system layout.

• Like 2

Great cars and great engines, I own a 1.0 ecoboost (100) zetec never had an issue with it, more than quick enough and smooth enough for motorway or in city mileage, handling is the best of any car i've driven, just overall a really nice package.

Thinking of maybe selling mine as in need of a bigger care let me know if you are interested.

Thanks

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tiexen said:

Which used to be Dagenham Ford if I remember rightly, and it had a poor reputation then.

RT Rates in Grays has always treated me well, they changed a shock absorber out if warranty because they said it shouldn't have failed at that mileage.

Do you know if the other makes 3cyl turbos (Suzuki Swift) (PSA DS3) have the same issue?

No idea. Have no need to look.

47 minutes ago, Mariner said:

The same problem is not evident in Fiesta as it has a different coolant system layout.

Unfortunately the degas hose is not the cause of engine failures. Just a symptom of a much wider problem. It was previously the weakest part of the cooling system and that's why it failed. There are however plenty of engine failures on cars that have had the recall work done. All that is happening is the next weakest parts are failing.

The fundamental flaw in the EcoBoost design is in part what makes it so loved. It has a small coolant reservoir which is designed to heat up quickly for fuel economy's sake. However, this leaves very little coolant to act as a heat sink. Ergo the engine runs quite hot. The coolant pressure on an EcoBoost, as I understand it, is also under a higher than average pressure. So high pressure, higher temperatures and limited water means when it goes it kills the engine pretty much instantly. No car should die within a split second of there being a coolant leak. Least of all without any warning of coolant loss.

Even on the infamous K-Series Rover engine there were warning signs and look at the slating that got. Yet in terms of engine capabilities at the time, the K-Series was streets ahead of the competition. There are many similarities between the old K-Series and the EcoBoost sagas.

There are more examples of the Fiesta creeping through now too. This delay in issues presenting themselves could well be down to a different design on the cooling system. My bet however is that the delay is due to the Fiesta getting the EcoBoost later, it being a lighter car that places less strain on the engine (so it doesn't get as hot) and the Fiesta being less likely to be a family workhorse than the Focus.

And even if EcoBoost engines aren't a problem, the way Ford has dealt with a significant number of customers is unjustifiable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mariner said:

The issue does seem to mainly occur on the Focus but not exclusively. It is also worth noting that the degas hose is not the only cause - others have had their engines destroyed as a result of leaks caused by failing water pump seals and heater matrices. Others have never been fully determined beyond simply 'loss of coolant'.

Of course, running without coolant - however it occurs - will destroy any engine but the real issue with the Ecoboost is how quickly (near-instant by many accounts) this has happened with little or no warning to the driver. The digital coolant temperature gauge doesn't help as it is not a true reflection of the actual temperature but rather a dumbed-down heavily damped interpretation by the ECU, presumably intended to give very consistent readouts to drivers who might otherwise be concerned to see apparently sudden step changes in temperature by virtue of it being represented by only eight steps from min to max.

Don't get me wrong; I love our Fiesta but as much as I like its Ecoboost engine I do recognise from an engineering perspective that it is a fragile machine and I will be very surprised to see as many pass the 100k mile mark without fair amounts of work on them compared to other engines. Enginnering aside it also doesn't help that Ford seemingly pretend that each case is unique and a one-off.

[Edit: I see that I posted in parallel with Gary there but rather than delete my post due to repetition I think it serves well to reinforce the point that there really is an issue here which will affect some but not all owners]

• Like 2

Hello Frank,

I've owned this very model since new, (the 125PS version) and put around 16k miles on the clock since that time and have never had any issues with it whatsoever.

I'm a little concerned to read others posts regarding engine seizure due to lack of coolant, but would say in my experience the car has never let me down, always starts first time of asking, and has been (and I hope will continue to be!) a delight to own and drive.

Everything still works as it should, I'm still on original tyres, brake pads, etc...and have an annual service carried out by a trusted friend who is also a mechanic, I've never had cause to return to the original dealer since I purchased the car.

The only thing I've had to renew were the small plastic clips that secure the rear parcel shelf due to someone not paying attention when closing the boot one day, a couple of pounds expense on eBay, and a new set of mats due to high heels being worn by my ex causing excessive wear...and that's it really.

All in all I'd heartily recommend the car, but ultimately you'll know if it's the car for you once you've taken it out for a proper test drive.

Hope this helps you in your decision to purchase my friend.

PS I would also say this website is an invaluable source of knowledge, and wish I'd stumbled across it sooner...a lot of very helpful and friendly people offering advice on any topic you could wish 👍🏻😊

• Like 5

I bought a 66 plate last year. It's the 125PS version. Previous car was a Focus ST3 that I had for nearly 10 years so I wasn't expecting much, but it's comfortable and reasonably well equipped. Seats are a bit upright and lumbar support is poor. I'm not a fan of privacy glass as it makes the cabin look dark, but that's a personal preference. Some of the interior plastics are cheap, but that's seems to be more and more the case with most cars now. The mats are very thin, they do the job, but if they had been optional I wouldn't have bought them. The voice command is useless and I wish the cruise control was adaptive. The boot is a little small. The Zetec would have done me as far as equipment goes, but they didn't do the 125 engine in that model. It drives quietly and there is very little tyre roar, although wind noise is evident. Check the chrome trim on the exterior as this discolours very easily and is probably due to cheap materials (most of mine was replaced by the dealer after I complained; some was blue and others had already started to go rusty {it was a brand new car})

Driveability felt very sluggish (remember I had an ST previously) and in gear ratios seemed all wrong. 3rd to 4th was hopeless, it would constantly bog down when I changed - a bit like the 1980's turbo lag. However, the whole driving experience was dramatically improved when I turned off the "Eco Button" on the centre panel. This button limits acceleration and reduces throttle response; to me the car felt like it had about 60PS rather than 125PS. I also got better fuel economy when I turned it off. I always use super-unleaded as it's about 5p/litre more and I get about 4-6 mpg more. So better for the engine and my pocket. Turning it off also improves the air-con as the "Eco button" limits the power of the fan to save fuel. I get about 51-52mpg (46-48mpg with normal unleaded) - not good as most of my driving is 60mph M/way stuff (it feels nicer at 60 rather than 70, but that's just me). Certainly nowhere near the book figures. Turn in is sharp and the chassis handles road imperfections quite well without throwing the car sideways unduly; however, try not to accelerate too hard into a corner as the front end runs wildly wide, to me that suggests front end grip isn't the best. That possibility is reinforced when driving in high[ish] winds as the front end tends to feel like its wandering. That may simply be due to the cars relative lightness compared to my previous cars. On the plus side it emphasizes the steering feel and that is very precise.

I still wish I'd bought the Fiesta ST, but that's just a power thing and the Titanium with the £0 road tax (just renewed), better fuel economy 51mpg compared to my Focus's 28mpg and cheap servicing deal make a much more sensible car on today's roads than something as fast as an ST; especially as my mileage is less than 3,000 per year now. The 125PS can travel comfortably at 70-75mph (I do sometimes) and can easily touch 90mph without much effort (so I'm told, officer!). The smooth lines and body shape even make it easy to keep clean.

• Like 3

An ST may ultimately be fast although 90% of the world get in my way in a 125.

51mpg? You're having a laugh or driving like someone my age :wink:

7 hours ago, winemart2 said:

An ST may ultimately be fast although 90% of the world get in my way in a 125.

51mpg? You're having a laugh or driving like someone my age :wink:

51mpg? Is that very good or very bad?

I can only manage 51 when it's standing on the drive, switched off.

I'm quite happy with 34 though.

1 hour ago, winemart2 said:

I can only manage 51 when it's standing on the drive, switched off.

I'm quite happy with 34 though.

34mpg for a 1.0 litre engine :ohmy:. Good grief, you must have heavy boots. I didn't do much worse in my 5 cylinder 2.5 litre ST.

I expected about 60mpg in the Fiesta given the official data of 52 (urban), 66 (combined) and 76 (extra urban). The Focus was 21/30/42 and I got about 28-29 with heavier acceleration for obvious reasons than I use in the Fiesta. So I'm disappointed with 51 although I realise you have to work the engine much harder than in the ST. I'm retired and rarely get stuck in rush hour type traffic so that would help my mpg.

No idea how old you are, but I don't tend to drive fast or use a heavy foot very often and the Eco button must have totally clashed with my driving style, because as I've said, I get better fuel economy with it off. I think with it on and it strangling the acceleration, you probably have to keep your foot down longer than is necessary. If you have a heavy foot, as you seem to have :biggrin:, it wouldn't make any difference, because the Eco button is programmed to not interfere with heavy acceleration for safety reasons

I'm 69 and don't hang around. 76 extra urban? HAhahahahahahahaha.

I'd need to park it and add extra fuel :wink:

Do you work for a funeral director?

ECO button in mine just kills the stop/start which I always use. A few millisecs is the diff between getting crapped upon from some smart_rse kid and driving reasonably.

That's interesting regarding your ECO button. When I turn mine off, it doesn't affect the stop/start at all - I thought it would. But it makes a vast difference in the cars driveability. It's suppose to supress the power and so make acceleration smoother - what is actually does is supress the power and make acceleration almost non-existent. I never thought anything of it at first, because I expected the car to be relatively slow compared to previous cars, but at times I felt it was completely useless. I mean the car has 125PS (that's as much as my old Renault 5 Turbo) it shouldn't be slow; it's never going to be quick, but shouldn't be slow..... and it was! However, when I floored it, the acceleration was pretty swift and surprising.. Changing gear during normal acceleration simply caused the car to bog down and you'd have to wait for the engine to respool before it would go again. The change in throttle response is amazing; with it on, I'd press the accelerator and had time to find a new track on the music system before anything happened, with it off, it's instant. It's literally like driving a different car and I'm not having to work it as hard to get the acceleration I want from it on a day to day basis - hence the improvement in fuel economy.

Ford need to rethink that button or least the dealers should inform buyers of what it does. Mine just told me to leave it on because it saves fuel. With it on, I literally hated driving the car.

No I'm not funeral director, but I do drive with a light foot. Always 30mph around town. Never race from lights and the only time I use to put my foot down is when I was on an M/way slip road and on twisty A roads. I use to live in rural northern Scotland and Shetland, but since moving to "suburbia" again, cars like the ST and my previous Renaultsport seem pointless as there are too many cameras and overtaking someone is a waste of time, because there's always another car in front of them. Hence buying the Titanium 125, but I do miss the thrill of that acceleration and ease of driving a car with lots of low down torque.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club