Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus Mk3 boot leak

Fred Smith
聽Share

Sorry for what is probably a stupid question but having no knowledge of cars I have no idea what to look for, how would I be able to tell if the heater pipe is leaking? Would I see this under the bonnet or would I need to remove the carpet inside the footwell to see it?

Stick your head into the driver鈥檚 footwell. Pull back on the plastic trim that is to the left of the foot聽pedals. You should see two metal pipes. If there is a leak you will see some orange/pink staining around the join that is half way along the pipes. If there is no join half way along the pipes then your car has already been fixed and had the later version of the pipes fitted.聽

• 1 month later...

I have had water in my boot did take the vents out and sealed it all up again but there is still water getting in ..so i did the plugs and other holes what i could see but still water getting in can anyone help聽

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. I have a 57 plate focus where water is getting in making the back drivers side seat wet and water in the boot too. I鈥檝e sealed the screws next to the light stacks on both sides but after heavy rain I can鈥檛 tell if this has worked as of yet. Any other suggestions? Ps where are the bungs to release any potential water holding in the back as suggested above.聽

• 1 month later...

I seem to have a similar problem with my 2012 Fiesta Edge. So I'm wondering if there's the 'bungs' under the car which can be released to allow emptying?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

once you take out the bungs under the bumper are you best letting it dry out b4 replacing them

25 minutes ago, scottbuchanan549@btinterne said:

once you take out the bungs under the bumper are you best letting it dry out b4 replacing them

Removing the bungs is only half the job. You need to find the leak and seal up wherever that is (usually the bumper vents).聽 There's some thick sound deadening above the bungs that holds a lot of water so if you aren't going to remove the vents for access to dry it properly, you will need to leave the bungs out for a while instead.

• 3 weeks later...

I took my car into a Ford garage, their聽solution without speaking to me was to drill 3聽 @聽4mm holes in the spare wheel well, and push the rubber grommets in under the car under the bumper. When i got the car home i discovered what they had done i made complaint. Got me nowhere, when i checked the rubber bungs the white insulation was soaking wet. I said if they had told me the fix was to remove the bumper , remove the vents , dry out the insulation and reseal everything and refit the bumper, costing 拢 ***** i would have asked them to complete the repair. My 2013 Focus Ecoboost 125bhp Titanium is in mint condition with only 22 000 miles. I have complained to Ford Uk who have replied asking for a lot of further information.聽

Common fault on the focus 2011 onwards behind the rear bumper there are 4 vents that are not sealed after a while it runs down by the rear light and in behind these air vents I took my bumper off and did it myself if you go onto utube it shows you how it's fixed hope this helps聽

There's a guide here that covers it聽

Did it on mine following this and very simple, takes a couple of hours聽

Brother in law just bought a used mk3 titanium and had the exact same issue, dealership sorted it and replaced some vents and re-sealed the others.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/18/2018 at 2:06 PM, sknab said:

Mine was only leaking into the boot at the near side but when I took it apart it was very wet in both sides. I've just sealed the vents but also sealed around the two lozenge shaped bungs which are forward and above the side vent as neither of those felt like a good seal.

The side vents seam to the the main problem ones as water runs down the roof gutter then down the channel under the tailgate and behind the rear light cluster and then straight over that vent.

With the help of this thread ('Click')聽I have now sealed the vents, took about two hours, most of that was removing and refitting the bumper, it was a bit of a fiddle with the mudflaps!聽After looking at my pics then聽reading your post in this thread ( I had only seen the other thread I linked to) I聽wish I'd sealed around the "two lozenge shaped bungs" that you can see in my second pic to the right of the larger vent, the upper one I'd have thought would indeed be in the line the water flows down through, that said if you look at the dirt-water line in my first pic it would be close......If the sealing of both vents does not work I will do them as well, both the large vents were loose, the passenger side especially, which was where my leak was bad enough to migrate into car so I am hoping the leaks were not through the聽lozenge shaped bungs!

The water ingress was spotted at the time of the MOT 'health check' by Hendy Ford Redhill early March, who quoted 拢1050.00 to rectify聽(plus Vat and parts I assume). The water was in the boot and rear passenger side foot-well and聽I hadn't noticed it, in hindsight when returning to聽the parked car for a few days before the MOT it had been misty. When I got home from the MOT and viewed the health check video they had made and read there quote a google search directed me to the initial thread I referenced. I聽removed the bung each side (large hole pic 3) and pulled the wet padding through, I was able to dry the boot quickly and the passenger foot-well took about two weeks to dry, I did lift the carpet to soak up as much of the pool of water as much as I could. I few rainy day car journeys and inspection of the hole seemed to show that the hole remains dry from below, it is quite high and well protected by the wheel arch.聽

None the less being on Furlough leave due to the coronavirus pandemic I decided being 'time rich cash poor' I would give the recommended sealing of the vents a go. It was a bit fiddly, the bumper is held on with self taping screws and some clips and care was needed not to break the tabs, but the videos via this forum were very informative; many many thanks.聽

49828576498_019c5df29f_k.jpg49829418522_3fe2d5eba5_k.jpg

49828576358_03a0291283_k.jpg49829418352_c4fcc03f22_k.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

On my sons mk 3 focus hatch water is running into the boot through a small hole behind rear light cluster, should I just seal it with silicone.聽

• 3 months later...

Hi, I also had this problem, and thought i'd fixed it.聽 However, I still have a faint musty smell every now and again.聽 And when its raining the windows always steam up !聽 Im guessing I still haven't fully solved the problem ??? 聽 聽

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Have a 2014 mk3..

By pure chance while looking at something else yesterday I noticed that the boot walls were damp to the touch... This began a trip down a rabbit hole until I found a few litres in the spare wheel well..

Googling brought me to a few vids and ultimately to this thread..

I've checked the vents and obviously the previous owner has been here before.. it's sealed up and there are plastic cover flaps over the vents to even further prevent egress... Also the bungs are out, the vent compartments are dry so they can't be the source..

I dried out the boot and left all the trim and insulation out overnight..

It rained overnight and when I opened the boot this morning, there was visible water standing on the driver side. Nothing on the other side. So it definitely doesn't look like the vent compartments.聽

So what am I left with?

I've seen a few holes covered up with dodgy looking tape, going to replace those two begin with.聽

I'll also take the rest light boxes out to see if there's anything obvious behind those!

Any other suggestions?

Dave

1 hour ago, DaveL said:

Hi all,

Have a 2014 mk3..

By pure chance while looking at something else yesterday I noticed that the boot walls were damp to the touch... This began a trip down a rabbit hole until I found a few litres in the spare wheel well..

Googling brought me to a few vids and ultimately to this thread..

I've checked the vents and obviously the previous owner has been here before.. it's sealed up and there are plastic cover flaps over the vents to even further prevent egress... Also the bungs are out, the vent compartments are dry so they can't be the source..

I dried out the boot and left all the trim and insulation out overnight..

It rained overnight and when I opened the boot this morning, there was visible water standing on the driver side. Nothing on the other side. So it definitely doesn't look like the vent compartments.聽

So what am I left with?

I've seen a few holes covered up with dodgy looking tape, going to replace those two begin with.聽

I'll also take the rest light boxes out to see if there's anything obvious behind those!

Any other suggestions?

Dave

ingress not egress聽

Well I've greased up both lights and sealed both boot strut mounts with silicone...

Looks to me to be only coming in on the聽right side... hope the grease works

Now the Focus MK3 becomes older a leaking roof becomes more and more common.

Under the plastic trim on top of the roof the roof panel and the side panels are bonded. Deterioration/ageing of the adhesive combined with torsional forces while driving causes the adhesive to develop (micro)cracks. Especially at the front and rear ends of the roof panels.

In case of a leak it is highly recommended to check for cracked sealant between the roof/body panels. On a Hatchback the plastic trim is clipped into place and can easily be removed (do not try this at low ambient temperatures because the plastic clips will snap and are not available as spare parts, only as part of the complete trim). (micro)cracks can easily be solved by resealing the seams using a suitable sealant ( I always use a polyurethane based body sealant for this purpose).

On 11/16/2020 at 6:20 AM, JW1982 said:

Now the Focus MK3 becomes older a leaking roof becomes more and more common.

Under the plastic trim on top of the roof the roof panel and the side panels are bonded. Deterioration/ageing of the adhesive combined with torsional forces while driving causes the adhesive to develop (micro)cracks. Especially at the front and rear ends of the roof panels.

In case of a leak it is highly recommended to check for cracked sealant between the roof/body panels. On a Hatchback the plastic trim is clipped into place and can easily be removed (do not try this at low ambient temperatures because the plastic clips will snap and are not available as spare parts, only as part of the complete trim). (micro)cracks can easily be solved by resealing the seams using a suitable sealant ( I always use a polyurethane based body sealant for this purpose).

Rained overnight and I found some water in the boot again... there is no chance of me putting any trim, insulation or carpet back in there until I get this sorted.. glad it's all in the house fully dried out awaiting going back in - but there's no rush doing that...

Now to your point about the sealant on the roof... is that the yellow stuff by the hinges?

I resorted to doing at water bottle test to see where the likely entry point would be... definitely coming in above the lights so ruled those out. Then the boot struts.. ruled those out - moved onto to pouring off the roof into the channels.. slowly drew my attention to that yellow filler.. so I started to give it a good clean and lo and behold; what looks like a small hole begins to reveal itself.. I cleared out some of the filler and siliconed it.. Will see if that sorts it.

If not - I'll clean out the silicone and get myself some proper聽Polyurethane Seam Sealer

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/8/2018 at 8:05 AM, yanna1 said:

Hi,

Is there any chance you could repost the pictures from聽this post last August.

I am having the same problem with the leak in the boot and I think it would be helpful in solving my leak.

Thank you.

I had the same problem and took the car to a local body shop who said this is a common problem. He diagnosed it right and removed the rear bumper and drained out the water resealed the vents and for 拢100 the problem was sorted.聽

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club