Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Minimum litre engine for motorways

Dan_C

Hi all, first post here. I hope this is in the right section.

Looking for a new Fiesta, and just wondering what the minimum litre I would want for a bit of motorway driving. It'll mainly be used for town but every month or so I'll be required to do a stint on the motorway. I'm looking at some 1.4's at the moment, is this enough?

11 minutes ago, Dan_C said:

Looking for a new Fiesta, and just wondering what the minimum litre I would want for a bit of motorway driving. It'll mainly be used for town but every month or so I'll be required to do a stint on the motorway. I'm looking at some 1.4's at the moment, is this enough?

hi, i have I 1L ecoboost 100hp,  I went from stoke to blackpool and back yesterday (90miles each way) no trouble at all, cruised at 70 (after the roadworks) for most of the way... easily, with plenty of room to spare when needed to overtake averaging  50mpg

• Like 1

How far on the motorway? I would say a 1.4 is fine, there are plenty of 998cc things flying about and passing me while I do 70 (80)mph. A 1.4 will be more than adequate, so would a 1.0ecoboost. I always think more about the size and safety of the car tbh. A fiesta is a decent size and is safe enough too. Look at the NCAP ratings if you like. Before any motorway trip at the very least (should be weekly) check tyre pressures, oil and coolant levels, top up washer bottle and check your lights, that's the safest thing you can do in any car. Even the biggest cars with the biggest engines are going to come a cropper if it's not well maintained.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would say about 70 miles each way thereabouts? Sometimes longer.

I'm looking at the Fiesta Climate Zetec model in particular, its 1.4 and 2007 model.

That's the mk6 AFAIK and it will be fine if it is a well maintained car. If in doubt then make sure you take it along the motorway for 1 junction as part of your test drive. If that is what you are needing your car to do then any dealer worth his salt will make that happen. I used to drive a 1.0 Corsa 450miles each way twice a month minimum, it was adequate.

2007 model is a mk5 isn't it? And can someone explain in plain English what Zetec actually means? My only Ford I owned was a 94 Fiesta about 10 years ago!

I'm sure in the UK the fifth generation was known as the mk6 with the mk7 coming out in 2008. The zetec used to refer to the engine however it now applies to the trim level. It often denotes a more sporty look and in your case a quick internet search reveals The Zetec gets 15-inch alloy wheels, rear spoiler, front fog lights and is the trim under the Ghia. The climate pack adds air conditioning, a Quickclear windscreen and heated door mirrors too.

I was about to say get a diesel, but if it's only once a month then an ecoboost. Acceleration doesn't mean much when you cruise at 70 (ish).

2007 is mk6.5 (in the commonly accepted UK designation of Fiestas). In my opinion whether you will find it acceptable or not on the motorway depends on how hilly it is. Those engines are fine until you come to a long hill and then they get slower and slower. I assume it is because they are tuned to achieve a certain level of mpg / emissions for sales and the tax levels. I am not saying don't buy it, I am managing your expectations so you are not disappointed. The bhp figure looks good but the car does not feel like it has that bhp when you come to a hill.   The 1.6tdci diesel feels a huge amount better although it has lower bhp (but much more torque). But the 1.6tdci is not very common and has various engine problems.

(I owned a 2007 1.6tdci for years and I had a 1.4 petrol mk6.5 for a week as a hire car)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

I'm sure in the UK the fifth generation was known as the mk6 with the mk7 coming out in 2008. The zetec used to refer to the engine however it now applies to the trim level. It often denotes a more sporty look and in your case a quick internet search reveals The Zetec gets 15-inch alloy wheels, rear spoiler, front fog lights and is the trim under the Ghia. The climate pack adds air conditioning, a Quickclear windscreen and heated door mirrors too.

Maybe it is, I'm not too familiar with the newest line of Fiestas! Been a while since I've  owned one. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Luke4efc said:

I was about to say get a diesel, but if it's only once a month then an ecoboost. Acceleration doesn't mean much when you cruise at 70 (ish).

Yeah diesel is pointless seeing as I don't do more than 5000 miles a year. The majority of driving will be town but as I said every now and then a motorway stint is required. Just wanna be able to join off a slip road alright and not be doing 4000+ revs at 70 lol

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, isetta said:

2007 is mk6.5 (in the commonly accepted UK designation of Fiestas). In my opinion whether you will find it acceptable or not on the motorway depends on how hilly it is. Those engines are fine until you come to a long hill and then they get slower and slower. I assume it is because they are tuned to achieve a certain level of mpg / emissions for sales and the tax levels. I am not saying don't buy it, I am managing your expectations so you are not disappointed. The bhp figure looks good but the car does not feel like it has that bhp when you come to a hill.   The 1.6tdci diesel feels a huge amount better although it has lower bhp (but much more torque). But the 1.6tdci is not very common and has various engine problems.

(I owned a 2007 1.6tdci for years and I had a 1.4 petrol mk6.5 for a week as a hire car)

Wouldn't say I encounter much hills. I mean I could have a look for a 1.6 but it's more tax. I usually do 70 and stay as far left as I can but if I'm in a rush I will floor it and be on the outside lane haha

• Like 1

I used to have a mk6.5 1.25 zetec and it was fine in town and on the motorways. If you come to a steed hill just drop it down a gear and it still made good progress  

Edit. it Revs at 3200 rpm at 70mph

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cjay1 said:

I used to have a mk6.5 1.25 zetec and it was fine in town and on the motorways. If you come to a steed hill just drop it down a gear and it still made good progress  

Edit. it Revs at 3200 rpm at 70mph

That's pretty decent. It's obviously not going to be the same as a1.9sdi doing 2500 in 5th gear but as it's not going to be very often I should be ok. Most if not all is likely to be on a straight line and flat surface.

I regularly drive 200 miles up north and then 200 back in my 1.0 litre ecoboost. I don't particularly concentrate on driving economically and so usually average around 47mpg. If I drive economically i can get 55mpg at least. Only annoying thing with mine is the 1.0 litre ecoboosts are only 5 gears (although the all new fiesta's are 6 gears). So on the motorway it's quite loud in general as a car. That's the only downside really.

I regularly drive 200 miles up north and then 200 back in my 1.0 litre ecoboost. I don't particularly concentrate on driving economically and so usually average around 47mpg. If I drive economically i can get 55mpg at least. Only annoying thing with mine is the 1.0 litre ecoboosts are only 5 gears (although the all new fiesta's are 6 gears). So on the motorway it's quite loud in general as a car. That's the only downside really.

I agree, our mk7.5 is crying out for a fettle of the gear ratios and the addition of a sixth gear for cruising. In ours you can't really be in 5th at anything under 40.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonro2009 said:

I agree, our mk7.5 is crying out for a fettle of the gear ratios and the addition of a sixth gear for cruising. In ours you can't really be in 5th at anything under 40.

I can just about sit in mine at around 35 in 5th gear, however you can feel it beginning to choke. I must admit I will usually sit at 4th at this speed though. I'm happy with the gear ratios on mine to be honest with you, it is just that missing 6th gear for me.

Slightly unrelated, but for me...the ONLY improvement on the all new fiesta they are releasing is the 6th gear. Everything else is a disappointment to me! :(

• Like 2

I have the 1.0 ecoboost powershift and motorway driving is great, plus you have a 6th gear. But auto transmissions aren't everyone's cup of tea.....

Note he says:

"I'm looking at the Fiesta Climate Zetec model in particular, its 1.4 and 2007 model".

Clearly he is looking to spend much less than a 1litre ecoboost can be bought for.

I went to view and test drive said motor earlier. Initial inspection revealed scratches on back bumper, 2 balding tyres and a broken rear tail light. However the dealer said these would be fixed in the total cost.

Under the bonnet there were no signs of oil leaks, new hoses had been fitted and a new battery as well. The test drive was pretty nice, fairly nippy little runner and no noises. 

The dealer said if I whack down a £200 deposit he'll do all the repairs plus service and change the cambelt (its done 80,000 miles). Come back Thursday and if I don't like it I get my deposit back. 

I think I got a good deal on this, esp if they're going to repair the little things and change the cambelt.

21 hours ago, captpicard said:

hi, i have I 1L ecoboost 100hp,  I went from stoke to blackpool and back yesterday (90miles each way) no trouble at all, cruised at 70 (after the roadworks) for most of the way... easily, with plenty of room to spare when needed to overtake averaging  50mpg

I have the same model and frequently drive on the M1 from Nottingham to Leeds and back.   Never a problem and a little over 55 mpg.

23 hours ago, Dan_C said:

2007 model is a mk5 isn't it? And can someone explain in plain English what Zetec actually means? My only Ford I owned was a 94 Fiesta about 10 years ago!

2007 is a mk6 facelift with the Frog eyed lights.....(son had one)

23 hours ago, Dan_C said:

1.4 is more than adequate for motorway driving, I had a fiesta mk6 for 8 years and frequently drove down the M6 to the lakes/Yorkshire and that was it packed to the gunnels!

A guaranteed money back if you don't like it is great. Getting all the little jobs done is good, and getting the timing belt done is a bonus. Will they do the water pump too? Make sure you get the change documented as this may we'll be a clincher when you come to resell. When is the MOT due? If it is in the next 3-6months ask them to include that in the price when the time comes, they should have no issue with this if they are confident with the car. Unless otherwise agreed it will not have a valid RFL so be sure to check this and make arrangements if it doesn't. Glad you are happy with the car, enjoy. I take it you put the deposit down.

The engine size in isolation is not the only key to motorway driving, but power of that engine. Remember the 1.0 Ecoboost comes in various power modes. My 125 is fine. One annoying aspect of M/way driving is someone that moves to overtake you and then simply drives at the same speed as you, but now along side you. You're both approaching a slower moving lorry ahead, but your boxed in so you either put your foot down to create a gap to pull out or slow down. I can usually pull ahead, a slower car would have to pull back. Both are possible.

On 70mph roads I would suggest at least 100bhp in a small car (Fiesta) or 120 in a medium car (Focus). For easier driving another 20bhp on each of them is better. Anything less is okay, but you have to adapt to the cars abilities, for yours and everyone else's safety. You can't simply pull out into faster moving traffic with a low powered car that accelerates in geological time, but all modern cars easily travel at 70mph once they get to that speed.

I did drive an 82bhp Fiesta, which I believe is a larger 1.25 engine on a 70mph dual carriageway. I put my foot down to overtake a coach and had to look at the speedo to see if I was actually accelerating  - I couldn't tell. (I was use to driving a much faster car though)