Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Learner Drivers On Motorways

Turvey

Hmm. Speed limits. Bone of contention with me I'm afraid but only when they are broken by someone who is definitely an idiot, or enforced by someone who is definitely an idiot.

For example.

30 limit. 40mph - you're a tool. Pulling me over for 32mph (thankfully never actually happened to me but allegedly to people I know) you're also a tool I'm afraid. If I really didn't give smelly brown stuff about a speed limit, I'd be doing 50 in a 30 wouldn't I?! 

If you're enough of an imbecile to not be able to judge for yourself what an appropriate speed for a road is, given the variables of weather, urban (or otherwise) location, topography of the road and awareness of other people then speed limits are for you.

That's not to say that it is ever acceptable to break a speed limit really, but if that limit has been derived by someone with common sense, everyone else who also has common sense already knows it's the appropriate speed for that road.

• Like 1

im not old enough to remember that.
good job you do. lol
I'm not either. [emoji41]
I'm only 47 ffs.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Stoney871 said:

I'm not either. emoji41.png
I'm only 47 ffs.

Me neither even though i'm 3 years older it's still before my time ha ha ! but any way as proven you don't have to be as old as time to know certain things just curious enough to read about it and remember  ;) ..

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Phil21185 said:

Hmm. Speed limits. Bone of contention with me I'm afraid but only when they are broken by someone who is definitely an idiot, or enforced by someone who is definitely an idiot

You mean the drivers that are doing 40mph on a clear straight stretch of road in the sunshine, then entering the 30mph then 20mph limit they continue at 40mph as if the limit hasn't changed?

I'm all for learners on motorways, it would mean hopefully that people coming onto the roads would have a bit more confidence in them - obviously if no motorway in a reasonable distance then they would have to do with just theory. My sister (now a full licence holder) won't drive on the motorway, even though i've offered to sit next to her, and tutored her on them plenty of times.

Also it might stop these people (3 in the past week) that seem to think joining the motorway at 30-40mph, and immediately moving to lane 2, even with nothing in lane 1, is acceptable.

• Like 2

It's kinda funny this subject being brought up because when I passed my driving test back in 93 I was pretty nervous just thinking about going on the motorway and I reckon if it had been a compulsory part of the learning to drive I do believe I would of gained extra confidence in my driving on the normal a and b roads sooner as I discovered one sunday morning some time after passing my test when i decided to try out motorway driving about 6 am as the roads seemed pretty quite and I found myself really enjoying it and never looked back since .

I think the Pass Plus should be compulsory.  Similar to an Auto Only licence, there should be a Non-Motorway licence until Pass Plus has been done.

Motorway driving is far easier than urban.
It's a doddle (then again I am an advanced response trained driver [emoji41])

• Like 1

Maybe you should let the dog drive once in a while?

HA! That's what I'm gonna choose next time I win the photo location game! Picture of your dog driving!

• Like 1

Maybe you should let the dog drive once in a while?
HA! That's what I'm gonna choose next time I win the photo location game! Picture of your dog driving!
Best not, she's terrible at lane discipline [emoji16]

• Like 1

Lol!  But... wrong thread guys...

Seriously @Stoney871, I thought you would say she can't drive due to not seeing the colours of traffic lights!

• Like 1

Colour perception doesn't matter.
Colour blind humans aren't blocked from driving.
Dogs don't have driving licences anyway so no seatbelt is the least of their concerns [emoji41]

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stoney871 said:

Dogs don't have driving licences anyway so no seatbelt is the least of their concerns emoji41.png

A fair point well put :wink:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Stoney871 said:

Colour perception doesn't matter.
Colour blind humans aren't blocked from driving.

Dang you and your stupid cleverness.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club