Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine under tray

ZetecMan1

Hi all

I have a focus 1.6 petrol 2009 zetec model 

Just wondered if it should have an engine under tray.

Cheers

my old 2008 focus never had an under tray, so i`m guessing your shouldn`t have one eaither :smile:

I have a 2010 zetec s 1.6 petrol and it does have a under tray

Conflicting evidence 

Anyone else 👍👍

guessing here. is zetec s lower than zetec,?  does it have the tray for protection as lower?

Took mine off about 2 months ago, when my gear linkage came off the box, haven't put it back on.

Dont think they do a lot other than keep the engine cleaner.  Mine has one.

They are there probably to stop any excess water (spray) stones or other debris from causing potential damage to any components close to the bottom of the engine.

They also have the function of reducing the amount of engine noise reflected off the road. That's why they are lined with foam.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mjt said:

They also have the function of reducing the amount of engine noise reflected off the road. That's why they are lined with foam.

I think he mean the cover UNDERNEATH the engine not the one under the bonnet

That's the one I'm referring to. Note I said engine noise reflected off the road.

16 hours ago, ZetecMan1 said:

Hi all

I have a focus 1.6 petrol 2009 zetec model 

Just wondered if it should have an engine under tray.

Cheers

yes , it should.

though i doubt not having one fitted will make much difference to your driving experience.......

;-)

the biggest plus to having a tray fitted is it makes it easier to spot any oil / fluid leaks that may collect or pool on top of the cover.

1 hour ago, biff55 said:

the biggest plus to having a tray fitted is it makes it easier to spot any oil / fluid leaks that may collect or pool on top of the cover.

Or even prevent the MOT man/woman seeing an engine oil leak that does not spill over the edge of the tray.

ScaniaPBman

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjt said:

That's the one I'm referring to. Note I said engine noise reflected off the road.

When you said lined with foam I thought you were referring to the under bonnet insulation. My under engine cover is just hard thin plastic, no foam lining it at all, must be different ones out there, sorry for the confusion.

Sorry if I caused the confusion. I haven't had the undertray off a recent model. The last one I looked at was on our old Mk1.5 Ghia and I'm sure that had a thin layer of foam, as did the one on our old Rover 75. I made the assumption they still had it on the more recent cars so my apologies if that's wrong.

Anyway I think even without foam an undertray will still help to contain the engine bay noise and make the car quieter for bystanders.

Think I might buy one to keep all of the road spray and dirt and stones out the engine bay.

Might get one from the scrappy or eBay 

There is a thin layer of insulation on the undertray of the MK1.5.Although undertrays can be a pain I wouldn't be without one, giving protection to sensors amongst other things.

I had mine off my MK2 1.8 TDCI for a couple of months when I replacing the front wings due to rust.  The engine bay way minging just for driving for a couple of months without the tray on, I'd get one cheap from a scrappy sooner rather than later mate.

40 minutes ago, 1979Damian said:

I had mine off my MK2 1.8 TDCI for a couple of months when I replacing the front wings due to rust.  The engine bay way minging just for driving for a couple of months without the tray on, I'd get one cheap from a scrappy sooner rather than later mate.

I'd say it helps keep crap of the cam belt as well

• Like 1

Just had the cam belt a few months ago so I will definitely get one to save anything messing that up.

And my engine compartment in pretty damn clean so I would like to keep it that way 👍👍

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ZetecMan1 said:

Just had the cam belt a few months ago so I will definitely get one to save anything messing that up.

And my engine compartment in pretty damn clean so I would like to keep it that way 👍👍

found a few on eBay for you to look at :smile:

eBay item number:262729234231

eBay item number:192172508869

eBay item number:262868742323 (brand new this one is)

The main reason is to do with air flow through the engine bay and helps to stop the front end from feeling floaty at speed. My MX5 track car has the factory undertray, with it removed at speed the car would feel a little loose and engine cooling was not as good.

I had a Peugeot 207 that failed the MOT because the examiner could not see above    

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club