Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Boot lighting

Newblet

I am considering putting another light (similar location on the left side of my boot (inside) and was just wondering if anyone else has done this.

My plan is to remove the left piece of trim which holds the parcel shelf up and make a hole at the exact same position as on the right trim. I think maybe run a splice into the earth and power of the right light to supply what's needed for the left light.

Basically wondering since I switched the bulb to led (lower power) will I need to upgrade the fuse or add a relay?

If anyone does have a better method please post below, I'm bored and just need things to do :-)

My car is a mk6.5 (56 reg) 1.25 petrol fiesta STyle.

I found installing an LED strip on the lip of the boot, wired in and piggy backing off of the existing boot light has worked a treat for me.

Much better than two bulbs IMHO.

This is what mine now looks like with 1 LED strip :) 

As you can see in the top right, the default boot light is nothing compared to the LED's.

IMG_0155.JPG

• Like 4

That's what I did also. 5 min work. 

Adding an LED strip is the way to go @lwatson99 is spot on. You will get a much better spread of light plus you can go any colour you want! Looking at the pic above, I think the strip is along the plastic trim underneath the door opening facing in to the car. Is that right? I can see one problem with that setup, once you put something large in the boot then that light is useless. I would put a strip either side on the trim that the shelf rests on. I had the same setup in my previous car, one strip at the bottom like in the picture and two smaller strips, 1 on each side. You can either pop a small LED W5W bulb in the original fitting or just a 'blanking' bulb. I would put a whiter light in the fitting. It's a really simple, easy mod to do and costs pennies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Does anyone have a link for the LED Strip?

Don't want to buy something inferior and end up replacing it after a short time so recommendations would be warmly received.

I'll get one for you [emoji846]

• Like 1

I appreciate these are more expensive than a lot of people want to spend as it's just the boot but these are probably the high end ones, still under £15 but expensive for LEDs but they should be more secure than just using 3M tape
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/382102826535 (options; White with 5050 transparent cover in 50cm lengths X4) I would run 1 each side and 2 across the length.

Or these, one either side. Leave the switch to 'on' as it only gets power when boot open anyway. Under £10
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182702661080

These are the 'cheaper' ones (which I have used before), they do the same job as the dearer ones but are more secure and more likely to get damaged - still a good option though. Under £5
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262453353235 (again, I would go for 4 pieces)

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Jonro2009 said:

I appreciate these are more expensive than a lot of people want to spend as it's just the boot but these are probably the high end ones, still under £15 but expensive for LEDs but they should be more secure than just using 3M tape
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/382102826535 (options; White with 5050 transparent cover in 50cm lengths X4) I would run 1 each side and 2 across the length.

Or these, one either side. Leave the switch to 'on' as it only gets power when boot open anyway. Under £10
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182702661080

These are the 'cheaper' ones (which I have used before), they do the same job as the dearer ones but are more secure and more likely to get damaged - still a good option though. Under £5
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262453353235 (again, I would go for 4 pieces)

Went for your first suggestion...no point quibbling about a couple of pounds then having to do the job over again.  👍🏻

Many thanks Jon 

• Like 1

@Jonro2009 You're correct - it's on that plastic strip.

I very rarely have large items in the boot, more just odd bits and bobs and i wanted to hide the LED strip but having them along the side would certainly work well I agree. 

I got a £15 strip on eBay @LocheeBhoy, it came with crimps and everything and even though to me it was a little expensive, i haven't had a single problem with the strip at all making it worth it.

Best of luck :) 

• Like 2

Lol I wanted it to look original but led strips are a good idea.

• Like 1

I put 2 led strips in a while ago best thing I done

Screenshot_20170822-071453.thumb.png.1ce425c1e7e6b077337509ef2aeac9f5.png

• Like 1

Nice ill have to get my self something like this

I put 2 led strips in a while ago best thing I done

Screenshot_20170822-071453.thumb.png.1ce425c1e7e6b077337509ef2aeac9f5.png

This is exactly what I meant. And then maybe the install [emoji6]

My led strips for 4 of them was only like £4.50 or something and I only used 2 of them lol

My led strips for 4 of them was only like £4.50 or something and I only used 2 of them lol

Where they just bendy strips or were they encased?

Bendy and 30cm fits perfect at each side ye dont even see them 

This is a quick wiring guide I made

Screenshot_20170823-071909.thumb.png.a85d474e3336a6581cecfac1514953e5.png

• Like 1

Bendy and 30cm fits perfect at each side ye dont even see them 
This is a quick wiring guide I made
Screenshot_20170823-071909.thumb.png.a85d474e3336a6581cecfac1514953e5.png

That's how I have done it in the past, with the addition of a 60cm strip along the bottom

I am actually going to attempt this with some led strips (hard case) and probably the footwell too :-)

I am actually going to attempt this with some led strips (hard case) and probably the footwell too :-)

In my previous car I did boot lighting and I also did front and rear footwell lighting. I didn't like that the doors didn't have lights on them so I put red lights on the outer edges of the door trim and white lights under the trim

I seldom have anyone in the back (3 door) so I may skip the rear footwell but it wouldn't be too hard to wire them in at a later date. The hard case LEDs will take forever from Hong Kong so I'm just going to buy waterproof strip (5m) and put them in a location unlikely to be hit.

• Like 1

I seldom have anyone in the back (3 door) so I may skip the rear footwell but it wouldn't be too hard to wire them in at a later date. The hard case LEDs will take forever from Hong Kong so I'm just going to buy waterproof strip (5m) and put them in a location unlikely to be hit.

Good plan, the hard case ones are not essential, the strips work just as well. If you have a glue gun I'd be tempted to put a little glue at the end of each strip and a little in the centre too. I've always found that they do come away a little. I used to love the lights on my doors but it was a real PITA to do.

Just quickly on the topic of rear footwells, I used self adhesive led strip stuck to the bottom of the front seat runners and that works a treat!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Just quickly on the topic of rear footwells, I used self adhesive led strip stuck to the bottom of the front seat runners and that works a treat!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Same lol. Easiest place to put them. I also put 3 x 30cm strips under the lip of the rear seat bench. What a difference they made, a used red to add a little bit of class lol. Like I said it was the door lights I liked best, red on the edge to act as markers when the door was open. And white under the storage pocket to illuminate the ground when the door was open, my take on the 'puddle light'. It wasn't easy getting those done but worth the effort when I was done. Oh, it was on a Sköda Fabia MC.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club