Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Water Under Car

Ice Warrior

I have a 2015 Ford Fiesta.

I drove home with the air-conditioning on for approximately eight miles.  When I got home I thought I saw some wet patches trailing behind me as I was parking the car.  I didn't think anything of it, but when I looked underneath the car 10 minutes later, I found two wet patches.  One was on the driver's side at the front of the car, the other was a larger patch which was roughly on the passenger side in the middle.  I don't know anything about cars, but can confirm it was water (not petrol or oil).  The water in the radiator hasn't dropped.  I telephoned Vospers, and they told me it was the air-conditioning, but they seemed a little surprised that the wet patches were in two places, but were still adamant it was due to the air-conditioning being on.

Please can you advise if what I have described does sound like what would normally happen if you had the air-conditioning on.

Thanks.

Definitely aircon.
Two patches are probably down to water coming from the drain tube and likely also from condensation off other pipes and condenser.
Coolant would be coloured (usually pink or green).

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

During the normal operations of the air con system the refrigerant gas causes a build up of 'frost/ice' which is completely normal, it's when this ice thaws out it is channeled to a drain pan located on the underside of the car. It should only really drop one location though, so next time you're out put the A/C on let it run for 10-20mins. When you park up look under the car and see if you can see where it's dripping from., maybe the drain pan is over flowing, giving you the second location?

29 minutes ago, Stoney871 said:

Definitely aircon.
Yep quit normal my son nearly had a hart attack for the same reason he thought the ST had a leak some ware and was convinced it was broken and how he was going to get home from Wales. Until I pointed out its was the aircon and no problem lol lol.It can dribble quite a bit at times( just like me lol)

The Fiesta has undertrays and I am pretty sure that the evaporator drain sits above one of these and so it wouldn't surprise me if it ended up dripping from more than one place with movement of the car.

37 minutes ago, Fiesta1.25 said:

During the normal operations of the air con system the refrigerant gas causes a build up of 'frost/ice' which is completely normal

The evaporator should never ice up as this would block airflow. There is a temperature sensor on the evaporator to prevent this happening and disengages the compressor clutch when it gets down to 5.6C. It is for this reason that aircon often won't work at all when it is very cold outside.

The dripping is actually the water that has condensed on the evaporator due to the air passing through it not being able to retain as much water when cooled. This drier air also helps with the cooling effect given the benefit it provides to sweating through reduced humidity.

• Like 2

Once seen a car 'relieve' itself like a horse in our works car park. I almost phoned the Guinness Book Of Records until I Sussed it was the air con had been used and the guy had just parked up and switched the engine off!

• Like 3

Once seen a car 'relieve' itself like a horse in our works car park. I almost phoned the Guinness Book Of Records until I Sussex it was the air con had been used and the guy had just parked up and switched the engine off!

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
  • Like 1

Once seen a car 'relieve' itself like a horse in our works car park. I almost phoned the Guinness Book Of Records until I Sussed it was the air con had been used and the guy had just parked up and switched the engine off!

That happened to one of my previous cars. I thought it was dying in front of my eyes lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I once went into panic mode when I saw a pool of water like this under my car, until one of my neighbours reassured me! It was the first time one of my cars had aircon

• Like 1

I once went into panic mode when I saw a pool of water like this under my car, until one of my neighbours reassured me! It was the first time one of my cars had aircon

Same here, I was sniffing the fluid and rubbing it between my thumb and finger trying to identify it lol

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

Same here, I was sniffing the fluid and rubbing it between my thumb and finger trying to identify it lol

I smiled at this, because that's exactly what I did

• Like 1