Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus tdci boost problem

MadeByAlex.

Hi, having a bit of an issue, my car is grand when it's cold it has power but just as the engine starts to get warm theres absolitely no power in all gears, there's no engine light on, its not throwing a code and it's not in limp mode. From reading other forums I've been lead to believe that it might be the boost control solenoid. Does anyone know anything about this problem and could someone help me locate the solenoid, thanks a lot!

1 hour ago, MadeByAlex. said:

Does anyone know anything about this problem and could someone help me locate the solenoid, thanks a lot!

Have a read through:

Usually, a significant lack of boost will give a P0299 error code. On my 1.8, a standard OBD2 code reader does not read this code, but Forscan does read & can clear it. It puts the Engine systems light on (the one with an ! in a cog) also on my car.

To be able to read sensor values like the MAP & VGTDC (Variable Geometry Turbo Duty Cycle) you need a diagnostic system like FORscan or maybe Torque that can access these values.

Thanks for the help Peter, so basically the only way is to bring to a garage for diagnostics, I only have a bog standard code reader (vgate vs890) and it was cheap do that must be why I didn't see any codes thrown. I'm just wondering if I blank off my EGR valve would you say it might fix the problem? Though was thinking if it was my EGR there definitely would be an engine light on. What do you think? 

I had a similar issue,  If i booted it uphill or for too long i would loose all boost.

p0299 only come up with forscan but still no eml on mine.

Changed the boost solenoid and started working better than before £30 on eBay for a new one, If you want the link let me no.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, MadeByAlex. said:

if I blank off my EGR valve would you say it might fix the problem? Though was thinking if it was my EGR there definitely would be an engine light on. What do you think? 

I could be wrong (!), but I doubt if it is the EGR. Usually this will create a DTC like P0490 (I have seen lots of those!), that can be read by any OBD2 reader. And the EGR will shut at large throttle openings. From what Liam says above, your symptoms stack up with boost solenoid failure.

Forscan can be obtained for £16 or less, if you have a Windows laptop. A bit more for an Andriod or iOS App version with a wireless adapter. If interested, check a few of my other posts, or ask here.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2017 at 6:27 PM, Liam121093 said:

I had a similar issue,  If i booted it uphill or for too long i would loose all boost.

p0299 only come up with forscan but still no eml on mine.

Changed the boost solenoid and started working better than before £30 on ebay for a new one, If you want the link let me no.

Now that you say it before I lost all boost when i was going up hill i would lose some power I noticed my speed dropping! Gonna buy a wireless obd2 scanner and download forscan to be sure! When you get a chance Can you send a link to a solenoid that will fit my car? Thanks for the help,

Really appreciate it 

• Like 1

On 8/23/2017 at 11:54 PM, Tdci-Peter said:

I could be wrong (!), but I doubt if it is the EGR. Usually this will create a DTC like P0490 (I have seen lots of those!), that can be read by any OBD2 reader. And the EGR will shut at large throttle openings. From what Liam says above, your symptoms stack up with boost solenoid failure.

Forscan can be obtained for £16 or less, if you have a Windows laptop. A bit more for an Andriod or iOS App version with a wireless adapter. If interested, check a few of my other posts, or ask here.

Oh I see! You learn something new everyday! Gonna get an adapter and scan it with forscan to be sure Thanks a lot Peter!

Really appreciate it, will let you and Liam know how I get on

• Like 1

Here you go bud

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-FIESTA-FOCUS-FUSION-TURBO-VACUUM-PRESSURE-BOOST-CONTROL-VALVE-NEW/282355243611?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Bit of a knightmare to fit but easy once done.

Either up on ramps or take of the wipers and cover off and reach down. 2 10mm nuts hold it on and make sure you know which pipe goes where. 

• Like 1

On 8/23/2017 at 11:54 PM, Tdci-Peter said:

Well lads I got it sorted!! Exactly what we expected! I got p0299 and I located the solenoid and discovered that oil had dripped on to the solenoid with a previous problem and the pipes came loose, dryed off the connector and fit the pipes back on and hey Presto!! BOOST

Edit: fitted small cable ties on the tubes so they don't come loose 

Edited by MadeByAlex.
  • Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club