Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anti-freeze/Coolant levels

Dan_C

After acquiring my new Fiesta today, fitted with a new expansion tank I noticed the small hose or tube that connects to the engine had come loose as it wasn't clipped into place causing the water to evaporate blowing steam out underneath the bonnet plus loss of coolant. Whoever fitted it didn't clip it in. Very lucky I spotted this early on. Topped it up with water just to get me home, I do have a bottle of anti-freeze, but how much are you meant to put in to mix with the water? Its supposed to be 50% of each isn't it?

Tomorrow morning I'm going to top it up when the engine is cold, there is still some coolant in there but don't know how much to pour in.

Isn't the Ford antifreeze already diluted?

Not this one, I think its concentrated. As there's water in the expansion tank to replace the coolant that leaked out I'm obviously not going to just pour it in to the top am I?

ford antifreeze is not diluted. how much coolant did you loose and how much water did you put in earlier?

I'd say there's about 20% coolant in there, water wise alot more, as I said earlier enough to get me home and the temp sensor wasn't going crazy. But I think I need to top it up.

just top it up with antifreeze only up to the maximum mark on bottle. then run engine . what you ideally should have done as you dont know how much the water diluted the coolant by, is to drain and refill with a 50/50 mix.
so just top up for now and call in to a garage or Halfords etc and get them to check the strength for you.

I wasn't at home when I discovered it and my mate helped me out with a bit of water. We ran the engine and it went down a little so we topped it up again just between the min/max mark. So if I add a splash in there it should be alright.

I checked the coolant levels in the expansion tank this morning and it was well below the min line. So I poured in a fair bit of coolant to take it halfway between min/max, as shown. Chucked in a bit of water too to mix it up. Started engine and let it sit for 5 minutes. No adverse reaction.

Took it for a drive for about 11 miles, again seemed ok and checked the levels again and its the same as it was before. I should be alright now?

Also the other photo shows the black hose pipe that should have been clipped on to the expansion tank in the first place which cause the water to steam out.

20170823_114017.jpg

20170823_114008.jpg

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club