Do Not Sell My Personal Information

First Focus...

Ford_New

Hello all, 

As some of you may be wondering who I am, I'm new to this site.

I am currently in the process of purchasing my first Focus so hello to all.

As stated above, currently in the final negations of my first Focus, buying it from peoples.

It is a 15 plate, covering 24k miles, 1.6 diesel, titanium I'll be paying close to 9.5K.

Just a quick few questions:

1) anything i should look for in particular about the car?

2) thoughts and feelings towards cost/spec?

Thank you 

Welcome to the forum!

The older versions of the 1.6 TDCi engine had more than a few issues but I believe the later versions had this fixed.  Others with more knowledge on the specifics will no doubt be along shortly to explain/confirm further!

Price wise I think it's a little expensive having taken a quick look on Autotrader, they've clearly priced a premium based on the low mileage.

Lookers Ford have a Focus Titanium which still has a relatively low mileage on it for less than what you've been quoted and it has the superior 1.5 TDCi engine (see link) Ford Focus 1.5 TDCi 120 Titanium 5dr £9350

The car you're looking at doesn't sound like a bad one, I just think it's just not especially well priced (although not a total rip off).

I own the 1.6 TDCi brilliant engine only thing I would look out for is the fuel filter make sure you change it every 12 months easy enough to do yourself, keep oil changes to the recommendation although I do mine every 6k, I've owned the car over 2 years and been driving it for over 6 months with it remapped running at 150BHP and its not missed a beat, apart from a clogged fuel filter which was fixed by myself easy enough. For the price not bad in my opinion other things to consider other than mileage such as service history and paintwork condition.

Overall I love my car it's highly reliable and excellent on fuel.

"it has the superior 1.5 TDCi engine (see link)" is the 1.5tdci really all that superior to the 2015 1.6 tdci?  Isn't it pretty much the same engine with 61 less cc (1499cc/1560cc).

I might be wrong, perhaps there was more to the change.

I had a 1.6tdci fiesta (90bhp) and now have a 1.5tdci fiesta (95bhp) and the 1.6tdci definitely felt like it had more go in it.  I don't think I would go too far out of my way to get a 1.5 instead of 1.6

you can always seem to find a car cheaper than the one you are keen on getting but it's not always in the colour you prefer and it's not always close enough to where you live. A price comparison needs to take those into account

• Like 1

I have the 1.5TDCi, and it is actually quicker than the 1.6 I believe as it has 120ps as opposed to 115ps.

Both the 8v 1.6TDCi and the 1.5TDCi engines used in the MK3.5 Focus are solid units compared with the old 16v 1.6TDCi used in the MK2 and MK2.5.

I paid £15k for my Titanium X last year with 13500 miles on the clock, and this was significantly cheaper than a lot of Titanium X's.

I'm now on 45,000 miles.

• Like 1

Strange how Ford feel the need to put de-tuned versions of their engines in the Fiesta (especially the diesels) instead of letting them fly!

yes it is odd. And I assume its is not to get the emissions below a certain level as my 1.5tdci econetic is 82 on the emission numbers and anything below 100 is free road tax (at least it was, I know that would not apply to new cars after april this year).  

The car feels like it could handle more power well.   Whereas my old 2007 fiesta zetec 1.6tdci 90bhp went very well but to be honest felt like it could have been a bit dangerous with more power (plain zetec, not zetec s)

On 27/08/2017 at 11:56 PM, Ford_New said:

Hello all, 

As some of you may be wondering who I am, I'm new to this site.

I am currently in the process of purchasing my first Focus so hello to all.

As stated above, currently in the final negations of my first Focus, buying it from peoples.

It is a 15 plate, covering 24k miles, 1.6 diesel, titanium I'll be paying close to 9.5K.

Just a quick few questions:

1) anything i should look for in particular about the car?

2) thoughts and feelings towards cost/spec?

Thank you 

So question, do you actually do enough miles to warrant buying a diesel?

Looking ahead, diesels will shortly be a thing of the past.

2 hours ago, Devonboy said:

Looking ahead, diesels will shortly be a thing of the past.

i think that may happen, but it's not a good reason to deny yourself the benefits of having one whilst they are still around.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, isetta said:

i think that may happen, but it's not a good reason to deny yourself the benefits of having one whilst they are still around.

What benefits are those? Having higher service and repair costs?

Any benefit gained from fuel economy can soon be wiped out by a big repair bill like for a DPF, DMF etc. Plus unless it is a Euro 6 diesel the residuals of the car will drop like a lead weight.

As Euro 6 came in around Sept 2015 It is unlikely the OPs car will be one. 

• Like 1

I'll be doing about 12-14k a year.

Do I need to worry about DPF DMF?

With that mileage you don't really warrant buying a diesel; anything under about 18,000 a year you might as well get a petrol.

Compare the equivalent petrol engined car to the one you're considering. From a quick look online you can get a 65 plate ecoboost for around the same price with half the miles!

Unfortunately Ive already got the car haha!

Any tips on how I can prevent this from happening [DPF]?

I've heard driving for 10 mins above 25000 revs is good?

On 31/08/2017 at 6:06 PM, Ford_New said:

I've heard driving for 10 mins above 25000 revs is good

That'll get you into orbit! :biggrin:

• Like 2

Had the car just under 5 days. I love it. Full tank of petrol = £53.47. Miles returned = 863. Unbelievable. 

Certainly is. Unless I've made a total mess of my calculations that equates to around 88mpg. Even for a diesel that seems rather optimistic.

17 hours ago, Ford_New said:

Had the car just under 5 days. I love it. Full tank of petrol = £53.47. Miles returned = 863. Unbelievable. 

I assume with that figure you've used the MPG calculation on the dash?  It isn't usually wildly out in my experience but that does seem optimistic.

A more realistic/accurate test would be to fill up to the brim when the fuel light next comes on, reset the miles on the dash, refill to the brim when the fuel light next comes on and make a note of how many litres of fuel it takes to fill and the total number of miles travelled since the previous fill up.  This will allow you easily calculate the real MPG (and at least then you know what it's really doing).  It is possible to get very good MPG out of the engine so I'm sure it's still a good figure, but I doubt it's 88 MPG in reality.

I have the 2014 1.6 tdci. When I bought it, the dash told me I was getting over 1200 miles to a tank!

After a software update, that fell to a more reasonable 650. I'll be honest I've not done the brim test since that day but dash says I get a solid 55mpg on very mixed driving, no motorways.

On 09/09/2017 at 3:22 AM, Phil21185 said:

I have the 2014 1.6 tdci. When I bought it, the dash told me I was getting over 1200 miles to a tank!

After a software update, that fell to a more reasonable 650. I'll be honest I've not done the brim test since that day but dash says I get a solid 55mpg on very mixed driving, no motorways.

55 MPG seems rather more realistic, I'd say that's pretty good, especially if it doesn't include any long motorway runs etc.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club