Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clear Plastic Door Protection Strip

CyprusPluto

A bit of advice please.

The clear door protection strip at the bottom of the side panel on the drivers side (not passenger side as per picture) of my 2016 Fiesta Titanium has not been completely attached at the top since I bought it. It's only very small, but has got worse during the year I've owned the car and I'm fastidious about keeping my car clean and tidy. The problem is the position; being at the top of the strip, when it rains and the car has the usual dirt and grime of normal use, it runs down and collects in the small unattached part of the strip and looks a mess.

Are these strips cheap and easily replaced and is it likely the dealer would charge me an arm and a leg to do it. I know it's been like that since new, but after a year they'd probably tell me to take a run-and-jump if I complained and asked them to do it for nothing.

IMG_1867.JPG

5 minutes ago, Stoney871 said:

Buy a roll and try fitting it yourself-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252843798713

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thanks for that. Just checked on e-Bay and there are also UK sellers. I suppose it's possible, but I'm not what you'd call a handyman; more a "botch everything that doesn't involve a spreadsheet" sort of person :unsure:. The piece that is already on there appears to be stuck on very well (other than the loose bit) and I certainly don't want to damage the paintwork trying to get it off.

If it's just a small piece that is coming away could you not get a craft knife and very carefully cut away the piece that is coming away, it's probably the easiest option. If you are set at getting it replaced then a sign writers or vinyl wrapping place would probably do it for £10 if you took the stuff in to them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

If it's just a small piece that is coming away could you not get a craft knife and very carefully cut away the piece that is coming away, it's probably the easiest option. If you are set at getting it replaced then a sign writers or vinyl wrapping place would probably do it for £10 if you took the stuff in to them.

I could try cutting it away, although it'd be a V-shaped cut-out and probably start to loosen again. The sign writer is a good idea. I've even thought of a tiny dash if clear silicone sealant to seal it, but not sure if that would eventually discolour and then become impossible to get off.

Thanks for the heads up on possible price. I'm going to pop into the dealer next week now I have an idea of how much it might cost (I literally hadn't a clue and if the dealer had said £20, £50 or £100 I wouldn't have known whether I was being ripped off or not). If it's very expensive. I may get brave and take on Stoney's idea. As long as I'm very careful and don't damage the paintwork taking it off, I can always call on the dealer or a wrapper to redo it if I mess up.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MarksST said:

Just pull it off and leave it off

I wouldn't simply leave it off and spoil the aesthetics. I'm afraid I'm a bit too fussy for that and I'm not even sure how easy is it to get off. I'd rather pay someone to do it than scratch the paintwork and end up causing a more costly repair

pull it off. it wont damage paintwork. before pulling it off, warm it up with a hair dryer. it softens the glue making it easier to remove.
will see if i can get a price of the correct ford one tommorow if i remember

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CyprusPluto said:

I wouldn't simply leave it off and spoil the aesthetics. I'm afraid I'm a bit too fussy for that and I'm not even sure how easy is it to get off. I'd rather pay someone to do it than scratch the paintwork and end up causing a more costly repair

Spoil the aesthetics? It'll look better without it, it's pretty pointless anyway,

Ford designer #1 "we need to protest the paintwork from scratches and stone chips" 

ford designer #2" how much of the bodywork should we protect"

Ford designer #1 "just that small bit by the door, the front bumper and bonnet won't need it at all" 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iantt said:

pull it off. it wont damage paintwork. before pulling it off, warm it up with a hair dryer. it softens the glue making it easier to remove.
will see if i can get a price of the correct ford one tommorow if i remember

Cheers Ian re: price.

Brilliant advice regarding the hairdryer - always makes sense when someone says it, but I would never have thought of it!

Spoil the aesthetics? It'll look better without it, it's pretty pointless anyway,
Ford designer #1 "we need to protest the paintwork from scratches and stone chips" 
ford designer #2" how much of the bodywork should we protect"
Ford designer #1 "just that small bit by the door, the front bumper and bonnet won't need it at all" 

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

.drivers side should be part number 1870795 and £3.08 +vat

i would double check with your local ford dealer using your chassis number to make sure on correct part.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, iantt said:

.drivers side should be part number 1870795 and £3.08 +vat

i would double check with your local ford dealer using your chassis number to make sure on correct part.

Wow. Thank you very much

• Like 1

This should be sorted now. I took the car to the dealer and showed them the issue and handed over the part number (thanks Ian). They said they could do it Friday or when I'm having it serviced next month. So opted for the latter as that is much easier and it's not urgent. I asked how much it would cost and they said......... £nil. They're doing it under warranty. :smile: Excellent

• Like 3