Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Speedo and Revs not working after flat battery

Rich77

battery on our Focus was flat and after jump starting the Speedo and Rev counter both don't work and the Radio display keeps telling us we have an incoming call.

Any simplish solutions not involving a garage visit much appreciated!

It is very strongly advised not to jump start to or from a Ford.
The smart charge system is very sensitive to voltage spikes and can cause numerous electrical gremlins.
Use a booster pack or disconnect the battery and charge it using a proper system.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stoney871 said:

It is very strongly advised not to jump start to or from a Ford.
The smart charge system is very sensitive to voltage spikes and can cause numerous electrical gremlins.
Use a booster pack or disconnect the battery and charge it using a proper system.

That's interesting and something I'm sure a lot of people are not aware of. My 2007 Focus ST3 twice needed AA callout due to flat battery (mainly because I hardly used it) and I didn't have any problems. Is it a new thing and something I need to be aware of with my 2016 Fiesta? (because that doesn't get used much either)

9 hours ago, Stoney871 said:

Thanks for this Stoney. I would hope when I called the AA to restart my car following a flat battery, they use a booster rather than jump starting it. I'm not mechanically minded, but I suppose I don't have to be as long as the AA person knows what they're doing.

That said, I'm not sure the last one did, because at the end he put some tape around a wire and left it loose. When I asked him why, he said it was a spare!! Bemused, I thought why would Ford put a "spare" and unattached wire in the car. I spent that night searching the web for pictures of my engine and found out where it should have gone and fixed it myself the next morning. I still haven't a clue what it did, but it seems neither did the 'trained' AA man

He probably disconnected the smart charge cable.
Solves some problems but causes others.