Do Not Sell My Personal Information

servicing

bluepeter

What is the service intervals on the edge? I have just got a letter from my dealer to say car is due a service after 1 year or 10,000 miles. Looked in the service book and that stated every 2 years or 18,000 miles.  Phoned dealer and he was sure it is 1 year or 10,000 miles . Any answers out there.

2 years and 18000 defo.

Quote straight from Ford.co.uk "It is important that you have your vehicle serviced in line with the service intervals applicable to your vehicle as detailed in your service Portfolio"

Mine also says 2 years 18000 miles.

Jim

1 hour ago, bluepeter said:

What is the service intervals on the edge? I have just got a letter from my dealer to say car is due a service after 1 year or 10,000 miles. Looked in the service book and that stated every 2 years or 18,000 miles.  Phoned dealer and he was sure it is 1 year or 10,000 miles . Any answers out there.

Ask them what the service schedule for "1 year/10,000 miles" says needs doing! ... that will confuse them when they can't tell you, 'cos they can't find it. :ohmy: Even ETIS states 2 yrs/18000 (and lists the service items) as does the service book. If they don't know their cars or are just trying to get you to pay for something that doesn't need doing ... i'd be taking it somewhere else! :wacko:

Yep , difinatly 2yrs or 18k . There is an optional 1yr interim check. The idea behind that one is to continue the breakdown cover as part of cost.

1 hour ago, iantt said:

There is an optional 1yr interim check. The idea behind that one is to continue the breakdown cover as part of cost.

Hu?

when new , you get 12 months roadside assistance . normally after that on other fords the next service is due 12.5k or 12 months. at that service the roadside assistance is renewed for another 12 months

as the mondeo, edge models now have 18k or 2 yr service intervals . the roadside assistance finishes at 12 months old. therefore no assistance thereafter until next service either at 18k or 2 years.

so ford introduced a convenience check which includes another 12 months roadside assistance. 

no idea how much it costs. contact your ford dealer. 

Doesn't a "convenience check" just mean that "although the car is good for 2 years" (hence the service schedule period), "we are just going to charge you for nothing! as if your car really needed looking at, we would have thrown a 1yr interim service into the actual schedule !!!!!"

In reality, your just paying £34.99 for 1yr roadside assistance (which you can probably get cheaper elsewhere). Then when you get your car serviced at the scheduled time, you'll get a year "free" again from Ford.

I'm sure when I got my Edge, the dealer said just pop in and see them and they would sort out renewing it for the second year. Didn't mention anything about paying for it or needing the car for a check! I'll let you know in December.

cant see the dealer doing that for free, it does cost the dealer for the cover.

it is comprehensive aa cover for £35. and as quite a few edge owners know to well, its needed.

I think it's up to 20k/2yrs but its has an 'intelligent oil life monitor' that calculates the optimal oil change interval depending on how the vehicle is driven so may come up earlier on the cluster. However I'm changing my oil yearly regardless of what is specified. I know oils are a lot better these days but I still wouldn't want the same oil in it for 2 years. 

interesting this is. my ford dealer is gonna offer me a service plan which costs £20 a month for the edge apparently. its a company plan, not ford. I get my servicing and oil and water level checks etc  whenever. I can just pop in. plus discount on tyres etc. don't think i'll bother with it now. ive no problem checking my tyres and levels anyway!

It seems to me that a couple of my recent posts for some reason or other did not get posted on these forums.

My dealers gave my car the interim service (as I think of it) after just having it for a year.

During this service, they found an oil leak from basically the rear diff, telling me that an oil seal had gone (have not been excessive with my car, just normal road use).

Got this work done on warrenty. As to the cost of the interim service, it was for free both parts and labour, due to the problems I have had with my car.

Other faults now being committed to a "Faults diary" as requested by my dealers. Am going to take the three year warrenty to its limits (if necessary).

Dave

• 1 month later...

That's odd. Just had a letter from Ford telling me I need to purchase roadside cover and they can offer it at a special price of just over £60. So why no mention of this convenience check?

That's odd. Just had a letter from Ford telling me I need to purchase roadside cover and they can offer it at a special price of just over £60. So why no mention of this convenience check?

that letter is probably a computer generated one when your first year of roadside assistance is coming to an end.
the convienience check is optional. ring your dealer.
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

My service book definitely states 18k or 2 years. Google Ford convenience check and it lists maximum amounts it covers ie 1ltr oil etc etc. My dealer knew nothing about the convenience check and tried to charge me £60 + but came back with £39. Still not the advertised price of £34.99 and i shall be contacting customer service about this. Can't say I'm expecting much back from them though, they've been totally useless the last two times I've had reason to contact them!

• Like 1

On 12/10/2017 at 8:34 PM, tonyh53 said:

The letter also has a bit below the AA cover titled Ford Assistance which explains that if you take it to a participating Ford dealer for a service, you can get the alternate 12 month Ford Assist cover ... Now, using the 'convenience check' as the 'service' for 2yr schedules (See https://www.ford.co.uk/owner/service-and-maintenance/service-promotions/convenience-check) it then covers you for the next 12 months. Having had a chat with my local Ford dealer both prior to purchase AND a few weeks ago when I popped in, mine's going in for one on Nov 17th and also to have the Airbag Recall done at the same time ... so I'll let you know!

And why don't they tell you ... Probably because they get a commission from the AA for referrals! Same way they want you to use Finance, etc. ... Ford get paid, AA get paid and you pay double!

You get nothing at a car dealership unless you ask, haggle or do your homework first! :ohmy:

I think Simon, that varies from dealer to dealer.  I use an established yet small main dealer which had been a family business. They are absolutely excellent. I get my FREE Ford Assist for a year after every service and as for the Edge, when I get my interim check done after 12 months use, I will get my Ford Assistance renewed then. I’ve never been referred to the AA. My dealer won’t rip people off as their reputation is too important. 

Ian, I too use a small family local dealer and they do look after you like one of the family.

My comments were very generic and targetted at the very large nationwide dealerships who I've delt with in the past and would never buy from again. They include, but by no means extensivly to the likes of Atlantic Ford, Bristol Street Motors to name but two! These have never budged on list price, never thrown anything in on the purchase, always thrown any ownership compaint and niggles as 'not covered by warranty' and never personally called me to follow up on my purchaseor generally see how the car is going and if im enjoying it .... unlike my local family Ford dealer, who has bent over backwards to ensure the experience and service is about me ... the customer, and my car.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, simonb65 said:

The letter also has a bit below the AA cover titled Ford Assistance which explains that if you take it to a participating Ford dealer for a service, you can get the alternate 12 month Ford Assist cover ... Now, using the 'convenience check' as the 'service' for 2yr schedules (See https://www.ford.co.uk/owner/service-and-maintenance/service-promotions/convenience-check) it then covers you for the next 12 months. Having had a chat with my local Ford dealer both prior to purchase AND a few weeks ago when I popped in, mine's going in for one on Nov 17th and also to have the Airbag Recall done at the same time ... so I'll let you know!

And why don't they tell you ... Probably because they get a commission from the AA for referrals! Same way they want you to use Finance, etc. ... Ford get paid, AA get paid and you pay double!

You get nothing at a car dealership unless you ask, haggle or do your homework first! :ohmy:

There is no commission paid by the AA for referrals.

H

@simonb65

That is also my experience. I stick to the smaller family run business and get extras thrown in whenever I buy a car, as they are more willing to help their customers to keep us loyal. I’m on my 11th car from the same dealer now. Main dealers know there’s another mug just round the corner so couldn’t give a hoot. 

• Like 1

I too also used to use a very reliable family run Ford business but as a sign of the times they are no longer a Ford dealership so I have to deal with the ‘big boy’ dealerships. I just phoned my local dealer about the convenience check and was offered an interim service for £60+. When questioned about the convenience check they took my details, looked into it and then called me back and said it was an offer by “Trust Ford” and they could only offer £60+ interim service. Anybody else experiencing problems booking convenience check as I thought offer was available at any Ford service dept as its detailed on www.ford.co.uk

I took out a monthly paid servicing plan with my dealer, so although I’m still paying, the costs are spread out so on service date, there is no big bill. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just a followup to the previous comments ... had my Airbags done and took the opportunity (as its now 12 months old) to get the Ford Assist renewed for another 12 months. My local family dealership did a 9,000 mile (12 month) check in order to get my Ford Assist renewed and they charged me £21 + VAT = £25.20 without any haggling or mention of the cost up front. I'm one very happy customer. Airbag work was second to none too. Nothing broken, dirty or generally out of place.

Keep supporting those small independents people :smile:

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club