Do Not Sell My Personal Information

HELP OUT A LASSIE PLEASE

S14CY

Where do I start,  it's a mondeo 1.8 petrol ,was in for an mot last month... everything passed apart from emissions. .. as it was " reeking of smoke" I wouldn't put a car near an mot station if it was in this nick!!! I was on the fone to the garage asking what they had done to my car , as it wasn't like that when I put it in... couldn't care if it failed it's the fact it came out worse off than it went in, anyway I've put flushe's through it , cataclean etc and she's still smoking!! Only when you heat her up on idle or hold it just under 3000 revs!!! I'm considering getting a new cat for it? Anyone any ideas to what this could be, the car isn't loosing any water etc and is still pulling fine. ...... :wallbash:

Remove n clean the egr valve also replace the pcv valve.

i would of first said piston rings but you said it runs fine it would be losing power if was the rings.

another check you air filter isn't covered in oil there's a breather pipe located on the air box check it's not clogged up

• Thanks 1

It's like a blue colour of smoke 

On 01/09/2017 at 11:57 PM, zetec Adam said:

What colour smoke 

Both air and oil filter has been changed , doesn't start to smoke until it's upto running temperature!! I've bought a new cat , I'm hoping this works but my " mechanic " isn't well today .

Yep the place where I took it for the mot sed it was the cat...... she's still smoking!! oil in chamber 2 and 3 now 😐:wallbash:

oil in chamber 2 and 3 now 

On 06/09/2017 at 2:25 PM, stef123 said:

A new cat isn't going to solve blue smoke, you have an oil burning problem. 

It more likely an issue with piston rings or something like that. I'd love to hear how they explain a cat would stop blue smoke!

• Like 2

What's best ....get that engine fixed that's only done 60 thousand miles or buy new engine as piston rings are a big job 

:wacko:

1 hour ago, stef123 said:

It more likely an issue with piston rings or something like that. I'd love to hear how they explain a cat would stop blue smoke!

You would need someone to look at it to confirm what's at fault. Don't go on my word as I haven't seen it.

but if it is something like rings, then you could pick up another engine from a car being broken up for a few notes. 

• Like 1

It's doing my head in, can fire it in to get a diagnosis 30 quid and hopefully that tells me the problem..... could poke the mot testers eyes out for this lol 

6 minutes ago, stef123 said:

You would need someone to look at it to confirm what's at fault. Don't go on my word as I haven't seen it.

but if it is something like rings, then you could pick up another engine from a car being broken up for a few notes. 

does sound like piston rings to me also. was probably the same before you took it to mot station. all the tester does is increase engine speed to the required rpm and hold to do an emmisions test.
i had the same issue with a focus 1.8 petrol. customer was unaware of smoking due to the way you drive car normally not displaying blue smoke in an obvious way.
i could smell oil smoke before i even started emmisions test. came to keeping revs up for test and it started smoking causing high emmisions readings.
customer ended up having an reconditioned engine fitted .
was a focus 2007 1.8 duratec engine which is known to have issues with piston rings etc.
what age is your mondeo?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree with Ian, I test cars and have seen this problem over the years  can sometimes fill the garage with smoke but only on higher revs , get a compression test done and maybe a cylinder leak down test  also to try and find out the problem 

• Like 2

The mondeo is a 56 plate 😕

1 hour ago, iantt said:

does sound like piston rings to me also. was probably the same before you took it to mot station. all the tester does is increase engine speed to the required rpm and hold to do an emmisions test.
i had the same issue with a focus 1.8 petrol. customer was unaware of smoking due to the way you drive car normally not displaying blue smoke in an obvious way.
i could smell oil smoke before i even started emmisions test. came to keeping revs up for test and it started smoking causing high emmisions readings.
customer ended up having an reconditioned engine fitted .
was a focus 2007 1.8 duratec engine which is known to have issues with piston rings etc.
what age is your mondeo?

Compression test was 200 200 200 225 

10 minutes ago, Hutchy36 said:

I agree with Ian, I test cars and have seen this problem over the years  can sometimes fill the garage with smoke but only on higher revs , get a compression test done and maybe a cylinder leak down test  also to try and find out the problem 

That seems ok , try a leak down test on the cylinders as a piston has a couple of compression rings and a oil control ring a leak down test puts compressed air into the cylinder you the bring the piston up on its compression stroke and look for any escape of air ie dipstick, rocker cover , hope this helps out  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The mondeo is a 56 plate [emoji53]

same duratec 1.8 as the focus.
  • Thanks 1

It's done 66 thousand , could it have been a taxi and been clocked :zorro:lol I'm just trying everything before I need to to and spend few bucks on another engine 

30 minutes ago, iantt said:

same duratec 1.8 as the focus.

Low mileage doesn't necessarily mean anything, if it's been abused or not serviced correctly could shorten it's life span significantly.

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club