Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2.0 diesel grey smoke and smell in cabin

Donnaw

Hi all, 

About 6 months ago I purchased a 2010 Mondeo titanium 2.0 diesel estate. The mileage is now just over 100K

Absoukty love the car but recently I've noticed a couple of things that I'm concerned about.

Firstly the car starts fine from cold, no error lights and seems to drive well.

When warm and generally when on a run 50-70mph I occasionally find what i can only describe as fumes in the cabin. This smell comes and goes on long journeys. I also notice grey smoke coming out of the exhaust this cones and goes . Please note I dont always notice both of these symptoms at the same time.

When I notice the grey smoke if i open the car right up the smoke gets worse for 10 or so seconds and then disappears. If I dont open the car up it continues to smoke. Once the smoke has gone I still notice the smell from time to time.

I have also found when i see the above symptoms the idle seems very off. Probably miss firing at idle. Again this goes away 

All of the above isn't seen when driving around town or when cold. Only when the car is on a run these symptoms occur.

I have been reading loads about grey smoke etc and a lot points to leaky injector. What do you guys think. 

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance 

Can you tell if the smoke is coming from somewhere in the engine bay (rather than further down the exhaust system)?

5 hours ago, 1979Damian said:

Can you tell if the smoke is coming from somewhere in the engine bay (rather than further down the exhaust system)?

Im quite sure it's from the exhaust.

How often does this happen ?

Sounds like it could be associated with a DPF regen

• Like 1

On 08/09/2017 at 3:53 PM, ianincheshire said:

How often does this happen ?

Sounds like it could be associated with a DPF regen

Every time its on a long journey at a speed of 60-70mph. Let's say I'm on an hour's journey the smoke can happen  2 or 3 times. The smell once started doeant seem to go. At times I have to open the window.

Ok , that's way too frequent for a regen. Must be something else.

22 hours ago, ianincheshire said:

Ok , that's way too frequent for a regen. Must be something else.

Unless the regen isn't completing for some reason.  If can't complete but the "regen" conditions continue to be met e.g. exhaust temp, engine temp it may just keep trying to regen.

• Thanks 1

I did think about that, but I would have thought there would be a MIL or some other warning light on if the regen kept failing...

On 11/09/2017 at 10:45 AM, ianincheshire said:

I did think about that, but I would have thought there would be a MIL or some other warning light on if the regen kept failing...

No warning lights or anything. 

On 11/09/2017 at 8:08 AM, 1979Damian said:

Unless the regen isn't completing for some reason.  If can't complete but the "regen" conditions continue to be met e.g. exhaust temp, engine temp it may just keep trying to regen.

How would I know if it's an incomplete Regen? 

It would be nice to solve this as the smell more than anything is really anoying/worrying