Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2013 1.0l Ecoboost engine rust. Problem?

2013Ecoboost

I know a couple of driving instructors who have used Fiesta Ecoboost cars since they first appeared on the roads. These cars take a hammering from new drivers stalling them, short stop start journeys, lots of abuse of clutch, gearbox and brakes etc...

None of them have had any Issues in over 50,000 miles been 100% reliable.

I think the problem with reading stuff on Internet forums/search engines is that you just get the people who have had problems posting about them, The people who have had no problems whatsoever (who are probably the vast majority), they probably don't post anything. I think you get a very biased view  only seeing the problems.

All manufactures will have a certain % of faulty vehicles, it's just the bad luck of the draw if you get one of the dodgy ones.

With a car as popular as the fiesta a 1% failure rate would give a much larger number of faulty cars than say a 1% failure rate in a Porsche.

I've had many cars over the years (I'm an old git), 4 Ford Cortinas, 3 Sierras, a Fiesta 1.4, a VW golf Gti,, Toyota MR2 and a couple of Citroens. The VW was the most reliable of them all with no faults in the 8 years I owned it, the fords were also pretty good no mechanical problems apart from an alternator and the usual body rust on the cortinas.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, 2013Ecoboost said:

So, I can't get the Ford looked at by an official dealer in london until the 29th! Madness. Confused as what to do here - slightly terrified the pipes could corrode through at any time so loathed to drive the car, but also can't let the battery go flat as i have to get it to the dealer on the 29th. How long can a fiesta be left without being driven before the battery dies? Last big trip was two weeks ago.

Ford customer relations have replied, simply saying the complaint has been passed onto a manager and they will get back to me.

Would a photo of my engine and mileage be of any use to you Cameron?

• Like 1

Pic from my Fiesta St-Line 140. Covered about 8000 miles so far. I noticed the rust appearing when I opened up the bonnet a few days after I took delivery, called Ford just to check and they said it's normal. However, the  pipes rusting like that is not normal.

st140turbo.jpg

• Like 2

Ford Denmark stated that this problem only affects the 100 HP and 125 HP version of the 1.0 ECOboost. The 140 HP version has a different turbo and is not affected.

During production of the 1.0 ECOboost engine Ford used a few different turbo's. Which turbo is installed depends on production date and power output of the engine. The 125 HP version in my 2013 Focus MK3 for example has exactly the same turbo as the 140 HP version. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JW1982 said:

Ford Denmark stated that this problem only affects the 100 HP and 125 HP version of the 1.0 ECOboost. The 140 HP version has a different turbo and is not affected.

During production of the 1.0 ECOboost engine Ford used a few different turbo's. Which turbo is installed depends on production date and power output of the engine. The 125 HP version in my 2013 Focus MK3 for example has exactly the same turbo as the 140 HP version. 

How can you tell? 

1 hour ago, JW1982 said:

Mine is 125, so it fits.

Mine is a 2013 125 and has minor surface rust on the pipe. Hasn't gone deep yet. 

Strange enough the Fiesta 125 HP version of the same age has a different turbo than my Focus MK3 125 HP version.

Today I compared my turbo with a spare turbo I have lying arround (possible future project). This spare turbo came from a similar (125 HP) engine but has a different part number. The coolant connection pipes of my cars turbo are made of high quality stainless steel (non magnetic). The coolant connection pipes of my spare turbo are made of less quality stainless steel or even ordinary steel (magnetic).

I think I'll clean and coat in anti-rust just to be sure. Any advice on a good high temperature anti-rust coating?

Of course if it is a galvanic reaction then that might explain the variations between different turbo versions as they might have different metal formulations, or at least the pipes might. Then there is probably no fixing it. I'd expect Ford would know about this by now if it were the case. 

12 hours ago, Blatto said:

I think the problem with reading stuff on Internet forums/search engines is that you just get the people who have had problems posting about them, The people who have had no problems whatsoever (who are probably the vast majority), they probably don't post anything. I think you get a very biased view  only seeing the problems.

Whilst I agree that at first glance the number of cars affected may appear small, I suspect that a large number of engine failures don't even make it onto forums or into interest groups.  This is because people may well pay the £5 - 6,000 of a new engine because they think that as the warranty has expired, they have no recourse.  This simply isn't true.  In addition, from what I have seen, the 1.0 EcoBoost issues are well known across the motor industry and in Ford dealerships where owners have caught staff off their guards.  The argument of "if people are happy, they won't report issues on forums" simply doesn't hold water.  Many here will defend positive aspects of their cars, even when they were originally brought here for answers about a fault of their own.  It works both ways - some are happy, some are not.  Some will vent online, some will not.

Now, for minor faults, I agree that we should all expect some regardless of what our car is.  But, what people who quote "they sell loads, of course some will go wrong" don't accept is that catastrophic engine failure is exceptionally rare.  Even on a production run of something as common as a Fiesta or Focus, catastrophic engine failure should still only be in single figures.  Dozens at most.  It really is that rare - or at least it should be.  But with the 1.0 EcoBoost, there's a record of failures which goes into the hundreds.  Compare this to Honda who have had zero/zilch/no engine failures in recent years.

Even if you still wish to dispute that this is within your tolerances for a major engine run, it's beyond doubt that the 1.0 EcoBoost is particularly prone to destroying itself when it runs without coolant even for 2 or 3 seconds.  This is, in my opinion, a fatal design flaw and anyone who has a 1.0 EcoBoost should be aware of how highly strung their engine is.  Even Ford has unwittingly supplied evidence that it knows its 1.0 EcoBoost engines have issues.  Why else would they be changing the parts (or their specifications) used so frequently during the production run?  Even on this thread, someone has said that the turbos have changed.  Plastic coolant pipes changed to rubber.  Different head gaskets.  A temperature warning switch now being in the engine.  All these things are items that Ford has modified in a relatively short production run.

Moreover, there are hundreds of cases of Ford leaving customers high and dry.  This is unacceptable.

• Like 1

we had 2 focus 1.0 ecoboosts have engine failure and both  were due to the plastic coolant pipe breaking.  both 2012 where the recal wasnt done.

none on fiesta,ecosport,b max, transit connect,or later focus. 

we saw 1000,s each year with no issues at the garage. 

so yes i aggre that if you do have coolant loss for whatever reason , its game over very quickly, the chances of being unlucky is very low

honda is an exception to the rule and yes they have very good relaibility

not so for the majority of manufacturers out there. they are no different to fords engine failure rate. nearly all manufactures now use the same tech  small engine turbo charged .

if you think fords are bad, i worked at a different franchise garage for a while and that was an eye opener!!!  made me realise fords arnt that bad! 

Yes i read that somewhere that the first batch in the years had a few problems with the Turbo and over heating and other minor stuff but aint that the same with

anything new and this is why i will never have new as the problems have to pop up to get them sorted which can take time.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, GaryPL said:

ven if you still wish to dispute that this is within your tolerances for a major engine run, it's beyond doubt that the 1.0 EcoBoost is particularly prone to destroying itself when it runs without coolant even for 2 or 3 seconds.  This is, in my opinion, a fatal design flaw and anyone who has a 1.0 EcoBoost should be aware of how highly strung their engine is.  Even Ford has unwittingly supplied evidence that it knows its 1.0 EcoBoost engines have issues.  Why else would they be changing the parts (or their specifications) used so frequently during the production run?  Even on this thread, someone has said that the turbos have changed.  Plastic coolant pipes changed to rubber.  Different head gaskets.  A temperature warning switch now being in the engine.  All these things are items that Ford has modified in a relatively short production run.

Moreover, there are hundreds of cases of Ford leaving customers high and dry.  This is unacceptable.

I wasn't suggesting you were wrong, just pointing out that in general it is easy to get the wrong impression by reading about things on the Internet.

To add to the discussion, rather than disagree, I would add that the flip side to risking getting the wrong (exaggerated) impression from the reports on the Internet is that you do get visibility of a potential problem that is seemingly otherwise being denied and brushed under the carpet. The result of this is none of us Ecoboost owners know how vulnerable we are to a risk that we know exists until it is too late.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/13/2017 at 8:04 PM, MJNewton said:

To add to the discussion, rather than disagree, I would add that the flip side to risking getting the wrong (exaggerated) impression from the reports on the Internet is that you do get visibility of a potential problem that is seemingly otherwise being denied and brushed under the carpet. The result of this is none of us Ecoboost owners know how vulnerable we are to a risk that we know exists until it is too late.  

So true and this is why i try and get answers from sites like this as then you know people who have either had the problems as in this case or genuine

people for some advice.

• Like 1

A friend of mine has a 13 plate Focus with 125 ps and a 100ps Fiesta on a 65 plate. I mentioned this issue to him and he has just got back to me after checking both cars. The Focus was as new but the newer Fiesta was showing light corrosion on the pipes. 

Anyway, he is going to raise it with his dealer for peace of mind - many thanks to 2013Ecoboost for flagging up the issue and providing helpful pics!

• Like 1

I have just looked at my Jan 2013 125 pipes and show very slight rust @ 23500 miles on the clock.

20170915_160614.jpg

Will be interesting to see how this thread develops when the dealers start replying to customers. 

Mine's booked in for Thursday (21st) so will let you know what they say.

On 16/09/2017 at 4:33 PM, 540itouring said:

I have just looked at my Jan 2013 125 pipes and show very slight rust @ 23500 miles on the clock.

20170915_160614.jpg

There's a Facebook page on this, the pipes carry water and if they rust through causing water loss could be catastrophic. The owner of the page has taken up the fight for ecoboost customers who have had problems with the engine as Ford are fobbing customers off who have had engines failing due to water loss. The latest info being Ford have arranged for her to have a meeting at their head office. Might be beneficial having a look ..... look for   Ford Focus EcoBoost 1.0L Turbo Zetec Faulty Coolant Pipe Engine Head Gasket on Facebook. (I know the page title says Focus but it's more for the ecoboost engine)

• Like 1

Having read this thread I checked my engine late last week and have rust on the surface on both pipes (doesn't look to have gone deep at the moment. I took the car to my local Ford dealer for them to take a look and they said they were unaware of any issues and had never seen anything like it on an Ecoboost before. Their initial advice was to "keep an eye on it" but when I made my concern more clear the recommended rubbing the surfaces clean of rust and to apply some VHT paint to prevent further corrosion. I'll be sending an email to Ford UK to get their view on the problem, and I'll include these pics together with the link to the Danish info posted earlier. Given what appears to be a low number of cases I won't hold my breath for a positive response. The car has done 45k and has had 4 services since new.

IMG_0145.jpg

IMG_0147.jpg

On ‎16‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 4:33 PM, 540itouring said:

20170915_160614.jpg

Silly question, but these pictures , are they taken from looking in to the engine (bonne up) or from underneath the car (looking from the ground through the engine)?

Just trying to locate these pipes on my 1L 100hp zetec.