Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2013 1.0l Ecoboost engine rust. Problem?

2013Ecoboost

On 17/01/2018 at 10:32 AM, dansallis said:

They're wrong. Get Ford UK to contact Evans Halshaw Blackburn and make sure they will cover all costs before going back to EH for the replacement.

I am almost certain Ford UK will realise this is a warranty issue and help your case. Report back here if they do not agree.

Thanks for the support. Ford UK are going to look into the issue (Told by text) and will contact me on Tuesday between 12 and 5pm. I found an article from Denmark Ford;

Ford dækker rustskade på lille motor | FDM

I have translated it and saved. Some quotes;

"Rusting on the cooler tube at the turbocharger on Ford's widespread 1-liter Ecoboost engine can mean additional repair costs. In dialogue with FDM, Ford announces that the company will cover the costs of the affected car owners."

Rust is the most horror of most car owners. But for a handful of Ford owners who have contacted FDM, the rust has hit an unexpected and expensive place: the cooler tubes of the turbocharger on Ford's popular 1-liter Ecoboost turbo engine with 100/125 hp."

And;

" FDM reminds its members that they must save any evidence that a Ford workshop has refused to cover in whole or in part replacement of a turbo"

It looks like Ford UK will be in violation of EU legislation if it doesn't follow suit and repair any affected units. I have also seen on the forums that B-Max owners are now reporting this issue.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, carlddone said:

Thanks for the support. Ford UK are going to look into the issue (Told by text) and will contact me on Tuesday between 12 and 5pm. I found an article from Denmark Ford;

Ford dækker rustskade på lille motor | FDM

I have translated it and saved. Some quotes;

"Rusting on the cooler tube at the turbocharger on Ford's widespread 1-liter Ecoboost engine can mean additional repair costs. In dialogue with FDM, Ford announces that the company will cover the costs of the affected car owners."

Rust is the most horror of most car owners. But for a handful of Ford owners who have contacted FDM, the rust has hit an unexpected and expensive place: the cooler tubes of the turbocharger on Ford's popular 1-liter Ecoboost turbo engine with 100/125 hp."

And;

" FDM reminds its members that they must save any evidence that a Ford workshop has refused to cover in whole or in part replacement of a turbo"

It looks like Ford UK will be in violation of EU legislation if it doesn't follow suit and repair any affected units. I have also seen on the forums that B-Max owners are now reporting this issue.

Also to add that FDM are Denmarks version of Trading Standards or a consumer champion.

FDM is the Federation of Danish Motorists - a spin-off of the Danish 'Motor' magazine. 

The 'case manager' from Ford rang today at 15:30 and said that she is still "waiting for the dealership to reply with what assistance they are willing to give". She will ring me again on thursday when the dealership has decided what to do. Sounds like I am going to be fobbed off. On a more positive note, I asked my local garage for advice. I have been using them for 20 years. They have had numerous issues with EH in Blackburn not honouring warranty issues and this has gotten worse due to the 'large' number of Ecoboost problems. There is a local lady whose 2013 Focus Eco blew the engine due to the coolant leak. She had to battle with Ford, who eventually gave in and replaced the Engine and Turbo. It took them six weeks to decide to fix it free of charge. And this was last year in December, so the warranty had expired.

12 hours ago, carlddone said:

The 'case manager' from Ford rang today at 15:30 and said that she is still "waiting for the dealership to reply with what assistance they are willing to give". She will ring me again on thursday when the dealership has decided what to do. Sounds like I am going to be fobbed off. On a more positive note, I asked my local garage for advice. I have been using them for 20 years. They have had numerous issues with EH in Blackburn not honouring warranty issues and this has gotten worse due to the 'large' number of Ecoboost problems. There is a local lady whose 2013 Focus Eco blew the engine due to the coolant leak. She had to battle with Ford, who eventually gave in and replaced the Engine and Turbo. It took them six weeks to decide to fix it free of charge. And this was last year in December, so the warranty had expired.

Next time this 'case manager' phones you up to tell you that, you should let her know that it is not really up to the garage to decide what assistance they should give, and that Ford UK should be making the decision based on the many previous occurrences of the issue. They should then me telling the garage what work they are required to carry out, not the other way around.

But it does sound like you could be in a for a long one. Maybe to speed the process along, request a courtesy car free of charge and I'm sure they will get a move on :tongue:

• Like 1

I've posted a thread in the relevant place but posting a link here for idle gossip - http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/ford/focus/102413/ford-focus-rs-owners-offered-free-repair-for-white-smoke-issue

Seems another Ford engine has cooling problems now... A recall that is not really a recall has been issued. Given the rarity of the 2.3 RS/Mustang engine, I suspect Ford are taking it on the chin. As the 1.0 EcoBoost is in almost anything with a blue oval, I suspect that the fighting with many customers with this engine will continue.

I'll be checking mine ASAP (after work), as I have a 2013 1.0 Ecoboost Titanium!

How the hell have Ford been putting the WRONG head gaskets on RS turbos.

Seems that EH have ground down the rust on my pipe to see how far it goes. According to my local garage thats about 25 -30% removed. Has a heck of an indent now. Still a large rusted area!

Turbo rust.jpg

Turbo rust original.jpg

2 hours ago, carlddone said:

How the hell have Ford been putting the WRONG head gaskets on RS turbos.

Seems that EH have ground down the rust on my pipe to see how far it goes. According to my local garage thats about 25 -30% removed. Has a heck of an indent now. Still a large rusted area!

Turbo rust.jpg

Turbo rust original.jpg

Is that how they're leaving it ???  I'm no expert but it looks worse (in the before photos) than previous examples that have only needed the painting fix.

N.B. After reading this thread before Christmas, I checked my car and it was ok but found that a colleagues turbo ( 2013 1.0 99bhp I think) had started to rust. Trust Ford in Stockport hadn't heard of this issue and were inclined to do nothing until they were quoted the TSB number from this thread. They did the painting fix as recommend free of charge  "out of loyalty as they'd owned Ford cars before " 

If I classed the rust on your car as 7/10 bad in the before photo their car was 3/10. I should have took a picture to upload for our records but didn't  :o(

To update.

Had a call again from my 'case manager' who was quite off-hand with me. I have not been allowed to speak about it, so asked if I could just relay some points I knew so far. She became aggressive and dismissive saying, "This issue isn't like any others'. She then went on to say that the 'Dealership have decided this is not a warranty issue'. Even though the dealership stated they had spoken to warranty, who they say refused to sanction doing the work. She says she needs the pictures (which CRC already have because I was told by their facebook page they have passed it on!) and refused to accept mine but will only accept pictures from the dealership. When I pointed out that the problem must lie with the dealership she snapped back that, " I shouldn't put words in her mouth". Not holding out much hope. The case manager is ringing me back on Monday. I suppose they must be snail-mailing the pictures :unsure:

Maybe you just got a nowty case manager lol. Also they're relying on the dealer providing them the correct information which might not have happened. I think I'm right in saying all the cases on this thread were done as " good will gestures" by Customer Relations and not as a warranty claim (probably to keep this massive fault off the books)

I'd contact them back whilst their waiting for the pictures and tell them ( if you haven't already) that your fault relates relates to the ford technical service bulletin 16-2088 and you'll await their findings.

Let us know what happens next, but don't give up just keep plugging away and I'll reckon they'll sort it.

• Like 1

Just an update. I was rang again this morning by the case manager who said, "I have the photos now but I haven't got chance to review them until Friday." So I'm getting a call back then. I'm getting the impression that there may some playing for time here. I have readied my appeal with the Motoring Ombudsman. I am hearing that Ford are finally admitting to the problem with the overheating cylinder heads on some models,  plus the rotting Degas hose issue and of course the RS recall. I am considering using the DVSA reporting form to start a discussion on the long term effects of the rusting coolant pipes on these turbos. As the previously mentioned issues, in some rspects, go back to 2010. It may help people who buy these second hand in the future and end up with problems. Considering the Turbo can overheat and blow very suddenly, I think it may qualify.

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-recalls-and-faults/report-a-serious-safety-defect

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The DVSA have already stated that they don't consider the overheating engines to be a safety defect and hence would presumably take the same position for the turbo.

• Like 1

There is a tech service bulletin out on this.

Checked mine on my 63 reg and the pipes had a couple of rusty patches, went down to EH and told them of my concern and was told about the bulletin. Apparently they clean them up and paint the pipes. Was quoted £80 for the kit and labour, or offered the kit and diy.

I've the 2 year mechanical warranty on the car which doesn't cover this. First thought was that I could do it myself for a fraction of the cost but I decided to stump up. That way if anything goes wrong down the line the warranty guys can't point to anything i've done, I can point to the work being carried out by EH.

• Like 1

Give Ford CRC a call - chances are they'll cover the cost as a goodwill gesture (they did for me - full details earlier in the thread). 

I received a call on Friday (01/02) but according to the case manager there is no update. Ringing back on Tuesday. My first call to CRC was on the 16/01, so on Tuesday it will be three weeks. Didn’t think it would take this long. 

I finally got round to treating the pipes on our 13 plate ecoboost yesterday. It was only very light corrosion but it took a few hours to remove due to the general awkwardness of getting to the back of the pipes. I deal with corrosion quite a bit in my job as aircraft engineer and I would remind people that its important to remove all traces of corrosion pitting and not just the red stuff you see on the surface. If you don't, the corrosion will continue to spread under the paint.

Our 65 plate ecoboost is corrosion free at the moment but I will give that a coat of VHT paint in the next week or so. I'm surprised that an engineering company hasn't  come up with a solution where you send them your turbo and they press in new stub pipes.

2018-02-03 14.17.21.jpg

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Vendee said:

2018-02-03 14.17.21.jpg

That's a great job, did you brush or spray it on?

4 hours ago, dansallis said:

That's a great job, did you brush or spray it on?

It was brushed on. Its quite tricky getting the paint on the back and underside of the pipes so I tended to over-apply it and let the paint run round the pipes. That's why you can see some run marks on the upper pipe near to the rubber hose.

• Like 1

i definitely need to check my pipes i still haven't iv put an alarm on for tonight so i remember. if its bad ill clear it up and paint them.

1 hour ago, carlddone said:

Would it be worth using Hammerite Kurust http://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints-body-repair/rust-removal-treatment/hammerite-kurust-250ml

and then applying VHT?

I wouldn't recommend using a chemical treatment on its own on something like this. Removing the corrosion mechanically (240 grade wet and dry) is the only way to ensure you have removed it. I had some Kurust but I used it after I had removed the visible pitting as a sort of belt and braces method. 

" I'm surprised that an engineering company hasn't  come up with a solution where you send them your turbo and they press in new stub pipes." 

I think it is too early but I think it is likely it will happen in time, particularly if people do start getting them rusting right through and leaking which will bring this matter to more people's attention. Unless people are reading forums like this they will not know about this looming problem and it's a pretty good bet that a high % of fiesta owners don't even open the bonnet on their cars let alone read any forum stuff like this, whilst the pipes are rusting away nicely with no one knowing

• Like 1

Thanks for the heads-up on using the Kurust after scraping and sanding. The standard Hammerite lists the upper temp as 300c but the standard operating temp should hit 90c as a normal running temp I suppose that pipe gets way hotter than that too often to use the direct to rust paint. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club