Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2013 1.0l Ecoboost engine rust. Problem?

2013Ecoboost

Just to add another data point to this topic...

63 reg Focus Ecoboost which has just tipped 19,000 miles.  A small patch of corrosion about 5 mm wide has taken off the top layer from one of the pipes but otherwise the rest seems clean.  I'll still call my local Ford garage to see if anything can be done, especially as there's a technical service bulletin to cover it.  I'd rather nip this in the bud given how bad some of the other examples on this thread are!

Photo 19-03-2018, 19 19 31.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Does this only apply to ecoboosts bought at a Ford dealership? Bought mine second hand from an Arnold Clark Vauxhall dealership and noticed this corrosion the other week. Is there anything I can do?

Mine was bought privately and it made no difference to Ford paying out. To be honest I don't recall them ever asking where I bought the car. 

So would I just phone/email my nearest ford dealership and explain the problem?

I contacted Ford directly and they in turn arranged for me to visit a dealer for and inspection and photographing. 

• Like 1

Yeah mine are looking quite rusty 2013 titaniun 35k miles, will take it to dealer hopefully they can do something about it. Will update on what happens. 

IMG_1261.thumb.JPG.42f93fff711a92d206fd30c659a11c95.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
On 20/04/2018 at 6:47 PM, MD94 said:

Yeah mine are looking quite rusty 2013 titaniun 35k miles, will take it to dealer hopefully they can do something about it. Will update on what happens. 

I wouldn't drive that mate, mine had very similar only noticed after the engine seized due to no coolant. So it's really not worth it!

• Like 1

On 20/04/2018 at 6:47 PM, MD94 said:

Mines the same year and same mileage.   Looks nothing like that.   Wonder what the difference is?

i have a fiesta diesel that does not have water cooling pipes on the turbo.

At some point there are going to be loads of these ecobooost cars being sold 2nd hand of such an age that Ford will say enough is enough, they are old enough to expect rust here and there so it's the owners problem and Ford won't pay.

So if I bought one of those cars and was worried about the rusty pipe springing a coolant leak (as we know these engines suffer major damage in the blink of an eye if there is a coolant leak) - could I bypass the turbo water cooling by putting a new straight bit of pipe between the two rubber hoses?   Then no worry of rusty pipe leaking.  

If I did not drive it like a racing driver would it matter if the turbo did not have water cooling (as I say, my diesel turbo has no water cooling on the turbo). Does the turbo have water cooling to preserve the life of the turbo or is is too cool the air going through the turbo (eg. to have same effect as an intercooler).

I reckon as these cars gets older and worth less, people may do this as the cost of replacing the turbo (can't get the new metal pipes separately, they come as part of the complete turbo) will be too expensive comparatively.    So how critical to the life of the turbo is the water cooling if driven 'normally'

The water cooling is not to reduce the air temperature (that's what the intercooler is for) but rather to cool the turbo. This occurs in conjunction with air and oil flow. How long the turbo would without water cooling is anyone's guess and depends on far too many variables to be able to give a meaningful answer. I certainly wouldn't want to risk it though. Now that you know what to look for, just buy one that isn't rusting.

• Like 1

Ford has got back to me and said they will not help me financially as my car is "substantially out of warranty"

Any advice? 

2 hours ago, MD94 said:

Ford has got back to me and said they will not help me financially as my car is "substantially out of warranty"

Any advice? 

You could change it out for a second hand turbo in better condition, or sand it back and coat with high temp epoxy rust proofing and hope the corrosion hasn’t gone too deep. 

1 hour ago, ThaiFiesta said:

You could change it out for a second hand turbo in better condition, or sand it back and coat with high temp epoxy rust proofing and hope the corrosion hasn’t gone too deep. 

Nah it's passed the point of sanding I think. The corrosion could be picked off and don't fancy making the pipes any thinner now.

• 4 weeks later...

Was there a TSB put out for this? So it seems to be the best way of getting support is contact ford directly ,kick up a fuss, and worst case, sand it down and paint it

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dee_82 said:

Was there a TSB put out for this? So it seems to be the best way of getting support is contact ford directly ,kick up a fuss, and worst case, sand it down and paint it

Yes, it's on one of the first few pages.  I took my car to the local dealer and told them about the problem and gave them the TSB number.  They looked it up checked the car over, said nothing to worry about but keep an eye on it and let us know if you think it gets worse (it hasn't).  No charge. 

• Like 1

For anyone looking

The TSB is: 16-2088

Curious to know how folk have got on with their Paint or Epoxy Solutions? Which ones have worked and which ones failed over the winter?

• Like 1

The Halfords high temperature paint I put on mine is still looking exactly as it did when first applied. I don't expect to have any further issues with the corrosion now. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Realise this thread's settling down a bit, but I started posting about my problems here a few months ago and thought I may as well finish. So my turbo pipes and degas hose were in a bit of a state - see here and here.

I went to a dealer (Peoples Ford Falkirk) as soon as I realised I had a problem, described what I'd read online, and asked if it was anything they'd heard about. This was over a weekend, I hadn't had a chance to talk to talk to CRC yet, it was more just out of curiousity to see what the dealer said. The person I dealt with pretty much treated me like an idiot, scoffed "why would Ford pay for that?!", and stuck to the line that were no outstanding recalls or TSBs on the car. I still don't entirely understand why, since I hadn't gone in there aggressively - I knew that it wasn't their fault and that I'd need them on my side to take the case to Ford CRC, and I'd approached with that in mind. I also made it clear that I felt I should get it sorted regardless of whether it was me or CRC paying for it, so I'm not sure why they were so averse to the possibility of some paid work coming their way. Anyway, I later raised it with CRC, who, as expected, asked me to take it to a dealer. I booked in with the same garage as before, hoping they'd take it more seriously. They got in touch to let me know that they'd looked at it, and there was "nothing abnormal" with the parts in question. Yes, these are the same parts that I linked above. I told them I was only happy continuing to drive it if I had that in writing from them. They gave me it in writing.

I told CRC that I wasn't happy with the diagnosis, and that I wanted a different dealer to look at it. I booked it into Park's Ford Stirling, and the guy I dealt with there was great. He hadn't come across the exact issue before, but realised that it could be an issue that was worth looking into, rather than being weirdly defensive about it. The first time CRC came back to him, they said they could offer me the treatment with the resin stuff and a £50 voucher off future servicing! I refused, and gave the dealer case reference and TSB numbers that I'd got from members of this forum. I pointed out the resin seemed to be prevention rather than cure, and that my car was needing more done because of the state that it was in. He agreed that he couldn't guarantee that the resin would be a proper fix, and I used that to keep asking him to request / recommended a turbo swap from CRC, due to the safety concerns of a potentially-exploding turbo. It may have gone back and forth again here, I forget, but I think I had to refuse another offer from CRC at this point. But as soon as the dealer properly asked CRC for a turbo swap, it got approved pretty much instantly! It seems that Ford are prepared to do it - they just need a very clear signal from a dealer that it is actually required, which makes sense. FWIW, none of the TSB numbers posted previously (before my last post, anyway) were relevant to the problem, but I think the case numbers of other people who'd had turbo swaps due to the same issue did possibly help.

So I'm happy with the outcome overall. Only real lessons from the story are.. do get case reference numbers and be nice to your dealer, because you absolutely need them on your side. And don't go to Peoples in Falkirk.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question, I have no rust on the 2 pipes but is the part they connect to meant to be rusted/of rough finish?

In the pics in the thread it seems everyone's is but I'm sure it didn't look like that when it was new.

Been told it's "sacrificial" rust and is normal as long as the pipes are rust free all is fine.

Absolute rubbish.   Google sacrificial metal, you have to have two different metals.

They never look flaky or damaged in the pictures, just cheap and nasty. Got the fez in to have s squeaky seat fixed so I'll ask about it then, I'll post their answer in here.

On 7/13/2018 at 3:21 PM, dom550 said:

Realise this thread's settling down a bit, but I started posting about my problems here a few months ago and thought I may as well finish. So my turbo pipes and degas hose were in a bit of a state - see here and here.

I went to a dealer (Peoples Ford Falkirk) as soon as I realised I had a problem, described what I'd read online, and asked if it was anything they'd heard about. This was over a weekend, I hadn't had a chance to talk to talk to CRC yet, it was more just out of curiousity to see what the dealer said. The person I dealt with pretty much treated me like an idiot, scoffed "why would Ford pay for that?!", and stuck to the line that were no outstanding recalls or TSBs on the car. I still don't entirely understand why, since I hadn't gone in there aggressively - I knew that it wasn't their fault and that I'd need them on my side to take the case to Ford CRC, and I'd approached with that in mind. I also made it clear that I felt I should get it sorted regardless of whether it was me or CRC paying for it, so I'm not sure why they were so averse to the possibility of some paid work coming their way. Anyway, I later raised it with CRC, who, as expected, asked me to take it to a dealer. I booked in with the same garage as before, hoping they'd take it more seriously. They got in touch to let me know that they'd looked at it, and there was "nothing abnormal" with the parts in question. Yes, these are the same parts that I linked above. I told them I was only happy continuing to drive it if I had that in writing from them. They gave me it in writing.

I told CRC that I wasn't happy with the diagnosis, and that I wanted a different dealer to look at it. I booked it into Park's Ford Stirling, and the guy I dealt with there was great. He hadn't come across the exact issue before, but realised that it could be an issue that was worth looking into, rather than being weirdly defensive about it. The first time CRC came back to him, they said they could offer me the treatment with the resin stuff and a £50 voucher off future servicing! I refused, and gave the dealer case reference and TSB numbers that I'd got from members of this forum. I pointed out the resin seemed to be prevention rather than cure, and that my car was needing more done because of the state that it was in. He agreed that he couldn't guarantee that the resin would be a proper fix, and I used that to keep asking him to request / recommended a turbo swap from CRC, due to the safety concerns of a potentially-exploding turbo. It may have gone back and forth again here, I forget, but I think I had to refuse another offer from CRC at this point. But as soon as the dealer properly asked CRC for a turbo swap, it got approved pretty much instantly! It seems that Ford are prepared to do it - they just need a very clear signal from a dealer that it is actually required, which makes sense. FWIW, none of the TSB numbers posted previously (before my last post, anyway) were relevant to the problem, but I think the case numbers of other people who'd had turbo swaps due to the same issue did possibly help.

So I'm happy with the outcome overall. Only real lessons from the story are.. do get case reference numbers and be nice to your dealer, because you absolutely need them on your side. And don't go to Peoples in Falkirk.

Did you get a case number? I've been planning to get mine sorted for a while, but my local ford is also peoples and I expect the same problems from them that you had in Falkirk. 

More info will help get them into line 🙂

On 7/27/2018 at 1:41 PM, jbell said:

Did you get a case number? I've been planning to get mine sorted for a while, but my local ford is also peoples and I expect the same problems from them that you had in Falkirk. 

More info will help get them into line 🙂

I do somewhere - I'll dig it out and PM you in a sec!

11 hours ago, dom550 said:

I do somewhere - I'll dig it out and PM you in a sec!

Got it, thanks!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club