Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2013 1.0l Ecoboost engine rust. Problem?

2013Ecoboost

I have only just purchased an EcoBoost (2months) 2nd hand from a non Ford dealer. I came across this forum and this issue and when I checked my pipes I found some rusting (see pics). I've emailed Ford and are awaiting their response but what do you guys think? Would the turbo need replacing or would the VHT paint fix do the job? Thanks.

pixlr.jpg

On 9/5/2018 at 12:36 PM, LAP_83 said:

I have only just purchased an EcoBoost (2months) 2nd hand from a non Ford dealer. I came across this forum and this issue and when I checked my pipes I found some rusting (see pics). I've emailed Ford and are awaiting their response but what do you guys think? Would the turbo need replacing or would the VHT paint fix do the job? Thanks.

IMO the turbo would need replacing. The rust looks too have cut quite deep into the pipe. If it were a small amount of speckled surface rust then you could wirebrush/sand the surface and apply VHT paint in order to seal it. 

I can't see quite how bad the damage is, but if the rust is nearly the whole way through the pipe sidewall then you should refrain from driving it.

@dansallis Thanks for ur input. I am not sure how deep it is as afraid to make things worse by poking around. I kind of have to drive it as cant get to work otherwise.

I have been to 2 Ford garages and they have recommended the paint fix but stated it isnt covered by Ford so will be at my cost. The garage I bought it from (Honda John Banks) are looking at it Thurs (tomorrow) but im predicting they will probably want to go for the cheap fix because; why would they pay for a new turbo when Ford deny it? (which seems to be excluded from their 3month warranty) but will find out tomorrow. 

Its really upsetting as we've spent our savings to get a newer (more reliable) car cos our old one was starting to fail, now that one has just broken down (too costly to repair) so feeling really p***ed off about it! 😡

I think the dealer you bought the car from will stick to the cheap recommended Ford fix. (Especially if Ford are unwilling to replace under any form of warranty). The dealer will be unwilling to pay for the new turbo unit along with Labour.

You may get some movement if you offer to pay for the new parts or the Labour but neither will be cheap I wouldn't have thought.

See what they say.

My input from a 18 month old Mk7.5 St Line is that these pipes/connectors still look in pristine condition with no blemishes or potential rust spots.

It seems like in later models the pipe issue has been remedied as they Must have changed the components to corrosion free materials.

17 minutes ago, Mavroz said:

My input from a 18 month old Mk7.5 St Line is that these pipes/connectors still look in pristine condition with no blemishes or potential rust spots.

It seems like in later models the pipe issue has been remedied as they Must have changed the components to corrosion free materials.

Or maybe 18 months isn't long enough for the corrosion to set in?  That's only one winter so far...  I would be interested to know if this is still something I need to check on 15 plates onwards though...I'd forgotten about it tbh! 

As for John Banks, I'd be surprised if they didn't cover 10 minutes work and 2ml of paint under warranty after you've spent ~£6k on a car from them...  I really doubt they'll replace the turbo though.

25 minutes ago, TomsFocus said:

Or maybe 18 months isn't long enough for the corrosion to set in?  That's only one winter so far...  I would be interested to know if this is still something I need to check on 15 plates onwards though...I'd forgotten about it tbh! 

As for John Banks, I'd be surprised if they didn't cover 10 minutes work and 2ml of paint under warranty after you've spent ~£6k on a car from them...  I really doubt they'll replace the turbo though.

As long as they don't rot for another 12 months then it isn't my issue although if they rot tomorrow it will be a Ford issue anyway.

I agree, I would expect the dealer (if reputable) to do the basic repair with paint/sealer as a goodwill gesture at least. I also agree they won't replace the full turbo without Ford paying for it 

Update: John Banks (JB) said as not mechanical fault they will not repair it. When I didn't accept this they contacted the nearby Ford garage and arranged for me to book it in and they would cover the cost of the repair. I did this and after a short time JB called me to say their warranty company won't cover the cost so it will be up to me to pay it after all!

I said that is unacceptable as they said they would pay it and that if not fixed the engine would basically be quickly turned to scrap if it failed. He said I should read the Ts&Cs of the warranty.

They are apparantly going to talk to sales and the manager and call me back, but I'm not holding my breath!

It is amazing how badly these people treat their customers over an issue which they could resolve quite easily and build loyalty and reputation too.

Argue the point that it is mechanical....

It certainly isn't electrical or cosmetic.

The pipes are mechanically deteriorating. The mechanical/physical properties of the alloys and coatings are breaking down due to the constant heating (very high heat)and cooling of the turbo unit.

Bring words like motor ombudsmen into your conversation, especially as you have already been instructed by the dealership to book the vehicle into a main dealer to have agreed works carried out to which they have now renaiged on. This even being a verbal agreement us binding and they should stick to the terms they later down, that being the payment of said agreed works.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They'll just argue it is only cosmetic currently,  hence having a paint fix instead of a replacement part.  

However it's ridiculous of JB to go back on thier verbal agreement like that.  Was it the Ipswich branch out of interest?

It was BSE (trying to be discreet). They seem to want to dismiss it all along then reluctantly called Ford to arrange the repair. The guy probably said they would cover it until the warranty co. declined it and his manager told him that they weren't interested either. They are not returning multiple calls either and it is just very very poor service.

Isn't there a TSB ref for this from Ford Europe? You could take these details in and prove that Ford has acknowledge this is a mechanical fault.

I can't recall but isn't there a time within which you could return the vehicle?

Might be worth also speaking with your local Trading Standards and see what they can suggest.

If a say ford dealer was selling a Eco-boost car and had its normal checks as they have when they have the car in and also when they sell it would this be looked at

and brought up and fixed or could they sell it and ignore it as then don't your rights come into this being selling a unfit car with a known issue.

They've seen the TSB I got a printout from Ford but even so, they're not covering it. It seems like it should come under the Consumer Rights Act as to me it is a defect which shouldn't be present on a car that age etc and potentially not fit for purpose. I'll update when I have more info.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2018 at 9:02 PM, LAP_83 said:

They've seen the TSB I got a printout from Ford but even so, they're not covering it. It seems like it should come under the Consumer Rights Act as to me it is a defect which shouldn't be present on a car that age etc and potentially not fit for purpose. I'll update when I have more info.

Keep us posted mate, keep on at them as there are a fair few cases noted in this thread where Ford eventually replaced the turbo FOC.

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 7:35 PM, jace1969 said:

If a say ford dealer was selling a Eco-boost car and had its normal checks as they have when they have the car in and also when they sell it would this be looked at

and brought up and fixed or could they sell it and ignore it as then don't your rights come into this being selling a unfit car with a known issue.

The trouble with this issue is that it's not a recall, and the car in it's current state is perfectly driveable and in no way unfit.   If the pipe starts to leak, the car could then be deemed unfit and you would be within your right to expect it fixed by the trader.  Problem is, time you've noticed the leak the engine is probably cooked...

Approved used Fords often seem to come with balding tyres and heavily worn brake discs (very visible on their forecourt!) so I doubt they're in any way bothered by a bit of rust in the engine bay.  The way it works is that you can then bring the car back under warranty if you notice the issues quickly enough...if you don't notice before the warranty runs out, they haven't had to spend out on it.  They're a business after all, it's all about profits...

2 hours ago, TomsFocus said:

The trouble with this issue is that it's not a recall, and the car in it's current state is perfectly driveable and in no way unfit.   If the pipe starts to leak, the car could then be deemed unfit and you would be within your right to expect it fixed by the trader.  Problem is, time you've noticed the leak the engine is probably cooked...

Approved used Fords often seem to come with balding tyres and heavily worn brake discs (very visible on their forecourt!) so I doubt they're in any way bothered by a bit of rust in the engine bay.  The way it works is that you can then bring the car back under warranty if you notice the issues quickly enough...if you don't notice before the warranty runs out, they haven't had to spend out on it.  They're a business after all, it's all about profits...

It should be a recall. The only reason it isn't is some penny pincher at ford has determined that it will be cheaper to pay out when the engines actually cooked than to recall all affected cars to get the fix applied.  

So to update, the dealership hasnt responded to an email I sent them lodging a formal complaint and the motor obundsman isn't interested until the garage has had 8 weeks to respond!I I wasnt thrilled at paying over £100 for Ford to paint the pipes assuming their warranty on thr work would probably be worthless also so decided to do it myself as other had done. I will still chase up with the obudsmund, dealer and Ford to see if I can get any retrospective compo but not holding my breath. But at least its painted in time for winter.

Heres a pic. I removed loose material from the rusted part which didnt seem deep and was still hard and dark in colour. I added a rust treatment to treat and harden the suface even more. I then used some wet & dry to sand down and roughen the surface of the pipes. After 24hrs I cleaned with methylated spirit and painted with Halfords VHT paint to protect the pipes. Just hope it does the job now.

IMG_20180928_121554061_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

mines an October 2014 red edition 138ps with 32000 miles supposedly unaffected by the rust, but as you can see the pipes are rusting away merrily.

20181008_145316.jpg

20181008_145321.jpg

but as a previous poster i couldnt just leave this to get worse or bang my head against frauds customer service so decided to grind it back, kurust it and paint it black. should slow it down for a while.

20181009_125914.jpg

20181009_125919.jpg

20181009_125926.jpg

So I had mine done by my local Ford dealer. Can confirm TSB number is 16-2008 which involves removing corrosion and then applying two part epoxy. Part numbers are as follows: Primer 1594594, Activator 1594600. 

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, Michlaustn said:

Just wanted to check, does this look like rust on mine? It is a 66 plate ST-Line.

C7CFF786-7994-448B-A0EA-7E57513C01E2.jpeg

Yes, superficial rust at the bottom of the pipe there.  Probably best you either have Ford apply the TSB fix or you paint it yourself before you get proper corrosion set in.  

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club