Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2013 1.0l Ecoboost engine rust. Problem?

2013Ecoboost

So I managed to get an earlier booking with the dealer, going in next week now.

Can anyone provide me with case numbers and tsb numbers they used when dealing with ford? Any other information that I can give to them would be appreciated.

Cheers

I'm assuming this doesn't affect the 1.6 Turbo? I tried to check on the ST this morning but the turbo's so far down the back of the engine and space is so limited you can't see it from above.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, TimST2 said:

I'm assuming this doesn't affect the 1.6 Turbo? I tried to check on the ST this morning but the turbo's so far down the back of the engine and space is so limited you can't see it from above.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Correct.  The 1.6 turbo uses different water pipes altogether.  I haven't read of any rust issues with those so far.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Michlaustn said:

So I managed to get an earlier booking with the dealer, going in next week now.

Can anyone provide me with case numbers and tsb numbers they used when dealing with ford? Any other information that I can give to them would be appreciated.

Cheers

My invoice says TSB 16-2008, but others have posted 16-2088. One of them should be correct. 

Took my car into ford today. They confirmed it was affected by the tsb number and are ordering the parts in to take preventative action and informed me that it would be carried or under the warranty as they did not have them in stock.

The guy dealing with me said that this was the first of the issue they had seen and were not aware of the problem until I brought my vehicle in. I brought with me the TSB references and part numbers people mentioned and gave a link to the thread with some images of my area of concern and rusting on other people's cars.

Hopefully mine should be sorted out before long.

Are the parts they have ordered in rust stop and preventative paint? Or are they fully replacing the Turbo?

2 minutes ago, Mavroz said:

Are the parts they have ordered in rust stop and preventative paint? Or are they fully replacing the Turbo?

Just the rust stop and paint. I only have very minor surface rust so it has not penetrated and no need for component replacement.

• 4 weeks later...

So it has been three and a half weeks since I took my car to ford and they finally have all the things in to do the work. They were waiting on some special gloves they have wear apparently. Car is booked in for Wednesday to have the work undertaken, I have a few other things I would like them to check over whilst they have the car.

phew what a read ! Best check mine tmr! Great forum full of help, info n tips 

A good read though. After reading i went and checked mine and luckily they are good. Think i will give em a bit of treatment though just for peace of mind. Probably paint em.

I noticed there is a seller on fleabay offering the ford activator for £5.95 and the primer is £15.95 part numbers 159594 and 1594600

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ian318 said:

20181208_131645.jpg

See the rust on the nut on the left? That's from air around the intercooler. You might also see some on the left nut on the bonnet when raised. 

Same will eventually happen to your turbo coolant pipe unless you paint it or have the epoxy applied, so it's worth doing even though the pipe looks fine now. 

1 hour ago, jbell said:

See the rust on the nut on the left? That's from air around the intercooler. You might also see some on the left nut on the bonnet when raised. 

Same will eventually happen to your turbo coolant pipe unless you paint it or have the epoxy applied, so it's worth doing even though the pipe looks fine now. 

Thanks i will check it out and get the pipes covered , iam a bit put off  these cars with the issues that seem be appearing  but others makes of car can have some issues i suppose .

Hi im not sure of the tsb thing people have mentioned  as pretty new to all these forums and some technical terms, is the tsb something ford alert you of or is when you take car in to dealer for a service etc ? Thanks

3 hours ago, Ian318 said:

Hi im not sure of the tsb thing people have mentioned  as pretty new to all these forums and some technical terms, is the tsb something ford alert you of or is when you take car in to dealer for a service etc ? Thanks

The TSB are private notices ford technicians have access to. They are not normally public and you will normally not be notified of them unless they are related to vehicle safety or something they are forced to make known.

Has anyone bought the Ford two part epoxy? I am wondering the best way to go. Tightarse says paint but commonsense tells me to do the job properly. £22 give or take for the Ford stuff but no doubt i will end up with enough leftover to do everyone elses pipes, lol.

Would be intersted to hear from anyone who has done it themselves with the Ford stuff.

7 minutes ago, LesPes said:

Has anyone bought the Ford two part epoxy? I am wondering the best way to go. Tightarse says paint but commonsense tells me to do the job properly. £22 give or take for the Ford stuff but no doubt i will end up with enough leftover to do everyone elses pipes, lol.

Would be intersted to hear from anyone who has done it themselves with the Ford stuff.

If you're painting it yourself might as well use Halfords VHT or similar.

Main reason I went with Ford paint & Ford applying it is so they can't slither out of liability if the pipe fails in future.

If you're painting it yourself even with the ford paint they'll get out of liability so you might as well go with nicer looking paint that route. 

My pipes are generally good and i could get away with just painting but by going the VHT paint route, thats all i am doing is painting them. With the Ford epoxy it is a treatment specifically for the problem. I am no expert but for a few quid more i was thinking perhaps it is worth it.

You are not just painting them but eliminating exposure to the atmosphere thus preventing corrosion from occurring. 

Got to say this is a dam good Topic to read as i have not got the EcoBoost i have the old 1.6 (non-turbo) so don't have this problem.

Dam good read for everyone and amazed how wide spread this problem is on the EcoBoost engine.

43000 miles on a 14 plate, just bought the bl00dy thing, it's a 125 but doesn't seem to have much oomph.... think I'll sell it 😫

IMG_20181212_125015_BURST001_COVER.jpg

here's some engine info if anybody is compiling a dossier to sue Ford!?

Actually won't let me upload the pic (something about a 2mb limit)

but info is:

C1BG 6007 AD

Cologne engine plant

26MAR14

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club