Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2013 1.0l Ecoboost engine rust. Problem?

2013Ecoboost

If the pipes go you wouldn't be guessing what it was that caused the problem but that said i havent heard of anyone suffering a failure due to the rust on the pipes.

Paint the little suckers and hopefully none of us will need to worry.

10 hours ago, Bobr said:

There's plenty that have

Anybody on here? 

I see lots about a brittle pipe on the Focus ecoboost engines and plenty of evidence that that was the failure.

Yet struggling to find any actual failures from this 'problem' on the 1.0 ecoboost engines. 

8 hours ago, craig26283 said:

Anybody on here? 

I see lots about a brittle pipe on the Focus ecoboost engines and plenty of evidence that that was the failure.

Yet struggling to find any actual failures from this 'problem' on the 1.0 ecoboost engines. 

It seems there is a lot of confusion here. The brittle pipe is the plastic one that has nothing to do with the "rust" problem that the turbo pipes have....or some have.

The metal pipes that rust really is a simple fix, if yours are rusting just bite the bullet and fix it or dig in for a tear up with Ford, whatever way you go, do it, could save a lot of pain. Mine were pretty good but for 10 mins work and a bit of wedge the problem should be fixed for now.

8 hours ago, LesPes said:

It seems there is a lot of confusion here. The brittle pipe is the plastic one that has nothing to do with the "rust" problem that the turbo pipes have....or some have.

The metal pipes that rust really is a simple fix, if yours are rusting just bite the bullet and fix it or dig in for a tear up with Ford, whatever way you go, do it, could save a lot of pain. Mine were pretty good but for 10 mins work and a bit of wedge the problem should be fixed for now.

Yeah I know they are different things, I was meaning that I can see failures all over the internet about the brittle plastic cooling expansion tank pipe.

Yet I can't see anything about these metal pipes and actual failures.

10 hours ago, craig26283 said:

Yeah I know they are different things, I was meaning that I can see failures all over the internet about the brittle plastic cooling expansion tank pipe.

Yet I can't see anything about these metal pipes and actual failures.

Not sure if there have been any failures yet, but there will be as it’s a vital connection. It doesn’t appear to affect all 1.0T though, so it’s likely it was a bad batch of connectors. 

Had similar issues with 2013 CMax EB. Ford dealer just quoted £350 for new turbo pipes, corrosion in these pipes is causing a coolant leak. 

Any chance of a CRC contribution or should I just swallow the £350???

48424510_10155984892561146_7804591476804943872_n.jpg

On 12/31/2018 at 11:22 PM, jamboken77 said:

Had similar issues with 2013 CMax EB. Ford dealer just quoted £350 for new turbo pipes, corrosion in these pipes is causing a coolant leak. 

48424510_10155984892561146_7804591476804943872_n.jpg

Contacted Ford to see if anything can be done, I've linked them to this forum, to show it's not isolated. Worth a try! 

On 12/31/2018 at 11:22 PM, jamboken77 said:

Interesting. I understood that the pipes were not replaceable seperately? 

Edited by Eric Bloodaxe

yes, that's what I understood. they seem to be pressed into the turbo in such a way that the pipes can not be changed in the existing turbo unit. The turbo and pipes coming as one unit from the factory

Just glanced at the Pumaspeed website where they offer stock or uprated turbos. The illustrations show the turbo complete with pipes pressed in.

43 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Just glanced at the Pumaspeed website where they offer stock or uprated turbos. The illustrations show the turbo complete with pipes pressed in.

Correct, the pipes alone are not replaceable. At the end of the day you can relax in the knowledge that if your pipes let go then at least the new engine will come with a turbo attached

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I have the zetec s 140 black edition 2015 (65 plate) I also discovered this today...

IMG_20190224_152300_730.thumb.jpg.dc5f51e531ed7532b17e496ab0dd6f74.jpg

Going to give ford a call but I'm guessing it's beyond painting 😥

I have had a mk7.5 St line 140 (17 plate) from new, it is nearly 2 years old and doesn't have a speck of rust on the turbo pipes.

The turbo block is orange but nothing anywhere else.

Car has only done 7500 but I guess if rust was going to happen on he pipes, it would.

Hope this helps.

So tried to get booked into local dealer... They are refusing to look at the car or book it in as "there is no tsb for that model" after a fight with their customer service department they advised me to call ford directly to get the car booked in with the dealership.

Called ford who contacted the dealer for me however I'm having to pay £80 for the diagnostics before they will even look at fixing it.

Waiting for the dealership to call me with a booking date as I need it diagnosed.

1 hour ago, J fitz said:

So tried to get booked into local dealer... They are refusing to look at the car or book it in as "there is no tsb for that model" after a fight with their customer service department they advised me to call ford directly to get the car booked in with the dealership.

Called ford who contacted the dealer for me however I'm having to pay £80 for the diagnostics before they will even look at fixing it.

Waiting for the dealership to call me with a booking date as I need it diagnosed.

Update, Arnold Clark refusing to entertain it, took it to an indi getting a new turbo Thursday 😞

On 12/8/2018 at 3:53 PM, LesPes said:

A good read though. After reading i went and checked mine and luckily they are good. Think i will give em a bit of treatment though just for peace of mind. Probably paint em.

I noticed there is a seller on fleabay offering the ford activator for £5.95 and the primer is £15.95 part numbers 159594 and 1594600

The part number 159594 is not recognized by any seller. The 1594600 is correct. Any1 have the correct number?

Mine is bad. 151000 km build 2013/11 125 hp version

IMG_20190301_182707.jpg

IMG_20190302_124315.jpg

12 hours ago, Jolah said:

The part number 159594 is not recognized by any seller. The 1594600 is correct. Any1 have the correct number?

Mine is bad. 151000 km build 2013/11 125 hp version

IMG_20190301_182707.jpg

IMG_20190302_124315.jpg

Apologies jolah, just checked my parts in the garage it should be 1594594 and  as you say 1 594600. I also said in this thread that i have a heap of it left over. Send me a couple of small plastic screw top containers perhaps get em from a chemist with a post paid pouch and i will send anyone who wants any.

New to this thread, but read all 16 pages.

In the main, people are reporting the pipes that are rusty, but, what about the turbo itself. I have had many turbo vehicles and have never seen one like that.

Also, the rusted pipe reports dry up after about 2016, so, they must have fixed it since then. I did see a picture of a Mk8 posted here and it looks like they have fixed the problem they refused to agree existed (apart from the TSB) Any other Mk8 owners wish to post their pictures please?

Also, have not owned a ford for a long time, (mine is due this week), but, I am appalled at the total lottery on getting a new turbo fitted seems to be. The CRC is asking dealers to check and authorise. Many dealers are rejecting the cases, so, that says to me that perhaps the dealers are tasked with picking up some of the costs, if not, why are so many being rejected at the dealers? In other brands, the dealers will jump at getting these jobs done as they get paid for them via the manufacturers.

20 minutes ago, nashdm2 said:

I did see a picture of a Mk8 posted here

Could have been mine - I posted a shot earlier in the thread when I got it in March 2018. The pipes are still unmarked but the cast iron turbo itself has now got surface rust, as you might expect.

Nothing whatsoever either on the Mrs mk8.

Not all the vehicles in the 2013 - 2016 build have the problem. I suspect it was a batch of pipes or maybe one assembly plant that has the problem. 

1 hour ago, ThaiFiesta said:

Not all the vehicles in the 2013 - 2016 build have the problem. I suspect it was a batch of pipes or maybe one assembly plant that has the problem. 

Mines 2013 and I don't seem to have this problem. (said he touching wood).

19 hours ago, nashdm2 said:

In the main, people are reporting the pipes that are rusty, but, what about the turbo itself. I have had many turbo vehicles and have never seen one like that.

Also, the rusted pipe reports dry up after about 2016, so, they must have fixed it since then. I did see a picture of a Mk8 posted here and it looks like they have fixed the problem they refused to agree existed (apart from the TSB) Any other Mk8 owners wish to post their pictures please?

Also, have not owned a ford for a long time, (mine is due this week), but, I am appalled at the total lottery on getting a new turbo fitted seems to be. The CRC is asking dealers to check and authorise. Many dealers are rejecting the cases, so, that says to me that perhaps the dealers are tasked with picking up some of the costs, if not, why are so many being rejected at the dealers? In other brands, the dealers will jump at getting these jobs done as they get paid for them via the manufacturers.

Read this if you want to get really paranoid:

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/ford/fiesta-2013/good/

Lots of problems with the auto gearbox - but NO reports af any ecoboost losing the turbo due to rusty pipes.

On 3/3/2019 at 12:44 PM, nashdm2 said:

Turbo body is cast iron, so it is normal for it to rust. The problem is the pipe that connects to it will rust (when not protected) once the turbo body has fully rusted. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club