Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2013 1.0l Ecoboost engine rust. Problem?

2013Ecoboost

Are these pipes rusting from the inside , is the metal thick enough? , mine painted  now and i do the usual  regular underbonnet checks like  i have done on previous cars.

They rust from the outside as water and oxygen is required for this to happen (and on the inside the coolant also contains corrosion inhibitors). 

• Like 1

On 3/3/2019 at 11:29 AM, LesPes said:

Apologies jolah, just checked my parts in the garage it should be 1594594 and  as you say 1 594600. I also said in this thread that i have a heap of it left over. Send me a couple of small plastic screw top containers perhaps get em from a chemist with a post paid pouch and i will send anyone who wants any.

Thanks for the correct part number! Was there an instructions how to apply them? I think I need to order these to a new turbo...

My turbo will be replaced on monday along with the cooling hose with metallic rusty pipe (exists if vehicle is made before 5/2014). Ford covers 1/3 of costs. 1100 € total cost and I pay 770€. My car is driven 152000 km and the latest Ford service is 60000 km. 

IMG_20190306_172004.jpg

2 hours ago, Jolah said:

Thanks for the correct part number! Was there an instructions how to apply them? I think I need to order these to a new turbo...

My turbo will be replaced on monday along with the cooling hose with metallic rusty pipe (exists if vehicle is made before 5/2014). Ford covers 1/3 of costs. 1100 € total cost and I pay 770€. My car is driven 152000 km and the latest Ford service is 60000 km. 

IMG_20190306_172004.jpg

No instructions with the materials but i'm sure i posted something in this thread about the mix ratio. Simple job really i followed the mix guide and painted it on with a 1/2" brush. A couple of coats, job done.

Found it:    Ford who confimed the mix  for the job is 4ml of primer to 1ml of activator induction time of 30 mins and a drying time of 20mins.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

hi guys, im considering buyin g a 2013 1.0 fiesta, this is the pipes, its had a replacement metal elbow at the coolant end. looks borderline saveable to me .. what do you think?

zzzzz.JPG

Hard to really say until you scrape that bubbled rust away. An expensive fix (new turbo) if you find it’s deeply pitted. 

Fiesta ecoboost are really common unless you're getting an amazing deal i would just walk away from a potentially large bill. There are plenty of good examples about without the potentially engine destroying rust issue.

thanks, yeah not worth the worry. I avoided it.

• 1 month later...

I noticed my car was down on power with no action at all from the turbo. I then found this thread and believe I also have this problem. 

My car is 2013 and the dealer want £120 just to diagnose it. Am I likely to be able to push for any contribution from Ford considering the age of the car? I’m a university student who uses my car to travel around to different healthcare placements across the country so I desperately need my car.Any help would be greatly appreciated 

The loss of power is unlikely to be connected to the rusty pipes issue. Can you give any more info on the power loss  - e.g. did it occur suddenly or over time - which might give someone a clue to enable them to help. Likewise if you could post a pic of your turbo pipes to see how bad they are.

As you will no doubt have spotted in this thread, some members have succeeded in getting a replacement turbo out of Ford on a goodwill basis, some have had the resin primer applied, quite a few have just painted the pipes themselves if not too bad.

Have you sounded out another Ford dealer regarding diagnosis - there seem to be quite a few in the Dorset area? 

1 hour ago, Edwarddurrant14 said:

I noticed my car was down on power with no action at all from the turbo. I then found this thread and believe I also have this problem. 

My car is 2013 and the dealer want £120 just to diagnose it. Am I likely to be able to push for any contribution from Ford considering the age of the car? I’m a university student who uses my car to travel around to different healthcare placements across the country so I desperately need my car.Any help would be greatly appreciated 

Get an OBD2 code reader and see for yourself what is playing up. 

2 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

The loss of power is unlikely to be connected to the rusty pipes issue. Can you give any more info on the power loss  - e.g. did it occur suddenly or over time - which might give someone a clue to enable them to help. Likewise if you could post a pic of your turbo pipes to see how bad they are.

As you will no doubt have spotted in this thread, some members have succeeded in getting a replacement turbo out of Ford on a goodwill basis, some have had the resin primer applied, quite a few have just painted the pipes themselves if not too bad.

Have you sounded out another Ford dealer regarding diagnosis - there seem to be quite a few in the Dorset area? 

2 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Thanks for your prompt reply, it is greatly

appreciated! It isn’t a loss of power as in its limping, misfiring etc it’s just there’s no kick in from the turbo whatsoever. No noticeable pull through the Rev ranges that it normally kicks in nor is it audible like it normally is so I initially suspected a hose connected to the turbo and then discovered this thread and all the rust on my pipes.

I’m from Dorset but live in Bristol for uni and have it booked in but £120 for diagnosis so may buy a diagnostic but presumably this would not be good enough if I want ford to cover the costs I’d imagine they would need to diagnose 

picture attached

123BF878-87E9-45E5-B2D1-24524C145DA3.jpeg

The pipes are rusty but I can’t see a possible leak point. If you haven’t had the car serviced for a while you could always use the £120 towards the service. This will tell you if there is issues but at least you will get something for your cash and it may even solve the issue. If you have any reasons which cause overheating in the turbo it will power down to try and prevent damage. There could be many reasons  for this such as low oil pressure because your filter is gunked up, poor water pressure or software issues preventing the turbo running correctly. I think a service will show up any faults. Just remember that in the Ecoboost the turbo runs constantly. It doesn’t kick in at certain revs - it has to run all the time to provide the torque needed. It has an ‘overboost’ feature which can boost at higher revs and this may be what you are missing. This overboost is the cause of many overheating problems so your software may be limiting it.  I hope you get it sorted easily. 

• Like 1

Those pipes look pretty rusty and if you are going to try and get something out of Ford you will have to go via a Ford dealership anyway. Let's hope the diagnosis throws up the cause of the loss of power, but the pipes are a separate issue.

You can see from this thread the widely different responses members have had from dealers/Ford on what is an out of warranty issue. You didn't mention which version of the ecoboost you have but the overboost feature Carl mentions above is not present on the 100ps version. 

10 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Those pipes look pretty rusty and if you are going to try and get something out of Ford you will have to go via a Ford dealership anyway. Let's hope the diagnosis throws up the cause of the loss of power, but the pipes are a separate issue.

You can see from this thread the widely different responses members have had from dealers/Ford on what is an out of warranty issue. You didn't mention which version of the ecoboost you have but the overboost feature Carl mentions above is not present on the 100ps version. 

Yeah I will have to get it seen by them. Hopefully they will waive the diagnostic fee but we shall see. Do you think that the pipes are too far gone to salvage in the ways that others have done on this thread?

What was the outcome for you in the end if you don't mind me asking?

22 minutes ago, Edwarddurrant14 said:

What was the outcome for you in the end if you don't mind me asking?

I have a Mk 8 and have not had the issue, hopefully they've sorted it by now. You might have seen a couple of my posts earlier in the thread concerning my mate's experiences with his 65 plate which started while it was still under warranty. Basically he's still got nowhere despite providing photographic evidence but did get the dealer to put in writing that his pipes were not a problem and actually filmed on his camera the service manager telling him the same thing!

• 3 weeks later...

Update on my situation

Finally got it diagnosed by the dealer today. Long story short the turbo impeller has broken and quoted me around £900 for a repair. My only thought here is I can try and argue that it is pointless to get this repaired considering the severity of the rust on the turbo pipes so i suppose my options are either

1 - get it repaired through ford and although they are separate issues, argue the above and hope for some contribution, perhaps 50% and then pay the rest 

2 - source a turbo myself and get an independent garage to fit it? i have seen a 2014 turbo on eBay for a good price, i seem to recall that the 2014 models were unaffected but i am not certain, can anyone confirm? I presume the fitment would also be the same?

Thanks in advance and apologies if this isnt clearly written.

58 minutes ago, Edwarddurrant14 said:

1 - get it repaired through ford and although they are separate issues, argue the above and hope for some contribution, perhaps 50% and then pay the rest 

What do they mean by 'repair'? Replace (just) the impeller? I'd be surprised if  Ford garage would take such an approach, preferring instead to replace the turbo as one. Indeed, a failed impeller would surely have potentially caused other internal damage, or be indicative of another fault, hence adding justification for replacing the whole part. 

How much is the turbo you've found? If it were me I'd be looking to take control of fixing it myself. 

39 minutes ago, MJNewton said:

What do they mean by 'repair'? Replace (just) the impeller? I'd be surprised if  Ford garage would take such an approach, preferring instead to replace the turbo as one. Indeed, a failed impeller would surely have potentially caused other internal damage, or be indicative of another fault, hence adding justification for replacing the whole part. 

How much is the turbo you've found? If it were me I'd be looking to take control of fixing it myself. 

I'm not entirely sure but I am off to collect the car shortly so I will try to find out. But as you say, they will most likely want to replace the whole turbo. What further internal damage could it have caused / still cause?

The turbo I found was £150. I've fixed bits on my cars before but I think this is beyond me. Presumably due to the location a lot of parts / maybe even the engine would need to come out?

They'll be replacing the whole turbo for £900, probably with a reconditioned unit.

It's right on the front of the 1.0EB so access should be easy!!  It's just a few pipes and bolts...

hi, yeah i have had a proper look this afternoon and it actually doesn't actually look too bad of a job! Tempted to give it a go.

Sorry for all the questions but does anyone know if the turbos were revised at any point or if the fitment is the same for all 1.0 ecoboost between 2013-2017?

Also other than new gaskets, will there be anything else I need to change?

54 minutes ago, Edwarddurrant14 said:

Sorry for all the questions but does anyone know if the turbos were revised at any point or if the fitment is the same for all 1.0 ecoboost between 2013-2017?

Iirc material of the pipes slightly changed between late 2013 and late 2014 due to the rusting issues.  No idea if it helped though, if that is accurate at all.   

10 hours ago, jbell said:

Iirc material of the pipes slightly changed between late 2013 and late 2014 due to the rusting issues.  No idea if it helped though, if that is accurate at all.   

My 2016 model was showing signs until it was treated by ford, so in my case a later model was also susceptible. 

On 7/4/2019 at 1:49 AM, Edwarddurrant14 said:

Turbos were revised in 2015. Previously the 140 and 125PS had the same turbo. After the revision the 125 and 100PS shared the same turbo model number. Just order one with the same model number as your own. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club