Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2013 1.0l Ecoboost engine rust. Problem?

2013Ecoboost

Hello,first time in this thread.

To cut a long story short i had a 2013 1l ecoboost for 2 1/2 years but got written off in a no fault claim,under the bonnett was near immaculate with no rusting.

Now ive bought the same model (this one was built may 2013,my prev one sept 2013) and noticed two pipes connecting the turbo quite badly rusted.

The car has came back with a 100% completion check from evans halshaw.

What do people think of the pics?

(ive had to clean the engine and inside of fuel cap as it was manky unlike my last fiesta,how it got that bad i dont know)

IMG_1247.JPG

8 hours ago, will2019 said:

Hello,first time in this thread.

To cut a long story short i had a 2013 1l ecoboost for 2 1/2 years but got written off in a no fault claim,under the bonnett was near immaculate with no rusting.

Now ive bought the same model (this one was built may 2013,my prev one sept 2013) and noticed two pipes connecting the turbo quite badly rusted.

The car has came back with a 100% completion check from evans halshaw.

What do people think of the pics?

(ive had to clean the engine and inside of fuel cap as it was manky unlike my last fiesta,how it got that bad i dont know)

IMG_1247.JPG

The 1st issue you've got is that you used Evans Halshaw who have a reputation for being quite possibly the worst used cars sales franchise in the country (see their reviews online e.g. on autotrader).  In fact seeing as you've always purchased the car I'd suggest NOT looking a their reviews.

In terms of the rust it looks like pretty heavy surface rust to me, it doesn't look like it's penetrated that far into the pipes.  If it was me I'd definitely be looking to get that sorted out ASAP before it gets to the point where the pipes are beyond repair 'cos then it's time for a new turbo as the pipes can't be replaced on their own.

• Like 1

it does not look like it's on the verge of failure but the rust will keep eating in further if it not cleaned up and painted properly.but you need to check all the way round (with a dentist mirror?) as you sometimes see localised deep rust spots on these pipes. The amount of corrosion can be very uneven.

Every bit of metal in that picture looks more corroded than average I reckon

• Like 2

Thanks for the advice/opinions people.

I have sanded down the rust and got rid of nearly all of it,the bottom pipe seems like surface rust but the corner of the top pipe has got ever so slightly deeper grooves in(first pic without grease),I've bought and applied some high temp brake grease (second pic on seperate page due to file constriction)  to keep an eye on it then take things from there, I didnt go down the painting route yet as I want to keep an eye on it over the next few months.

IMG_1263.JPG

Having problems uploading second pic,,,

If you are wanting to see how things change I think you'd be better of painting them. Grease will attract a coating of dirt in no time at all thus preventing you seeing what's happening, whereas paint won't and should also provide a barrier to oxygen and therefore stopping further corrosion. If the corrosion does for whatever reason continue it'll bubble the paint up and make itself obvious. 

• Like 1

Hi there,

I don't own a Ford but I was about to buy an Ecoboom Fiesta. Don't think I am any more! I just wanted to comment on the idea of painting these pipes.

If these pipes fail it is very likely that they will snap at the point where the pipe enters the body of the turbo. This crevice is a natural collection point for moisture and is virtually impossible to see never mind clean and paint! It is also a stress point. I'm not saying that painting the pipes is a waste of time but it is essential that you get paint into the gap behind the flange on the pipe. Even then there is no real way to check the condition of the pipe in there. 

Has anyone actually suffered a failure of one of these pipes? Forgive me if that has been posted already. I've read most of the thread but not all of it.. Even if they haven't, it's still a real possibility. I've seen the pipes on a Focus power steering pump snap and it's a very similar situation. 

So, maybe I'll buy an older Fiesta now! 

It is quite easy to paint the 'crevice' as paint is naturally gap filling. With regards to known failures I've certainly seen one; it had corroded all the way a small section of the front of the pipe which is probably the weakest point given its exposure. 

• 3 months later...

I am experiencing the same issue now. There is a clear pit in the corrosion on mine of approximately 2-3mm deep.

I have been down to the dealership and contacted CRC. The dealership were very rude with me, but the people at CRC have been very helpful up to now.

The car is no longer under warranty, but it's only four years old. Surely corrosion of this nature should not be happening so early?!

I am fuming but feel powerless at the same time.

IMG_20191017_121720.thumb.jpg.2df802e02162b690fe058542d923de9f.jpg

I would be very annoyed if that was mine. I would also be worried about using it. These engines are well known for suffering damage very quickly when there is a coolant leak before you even realise it’s leaking.

We don't know the history of the car (have you had it from new, serviced at Ford etc) but whatever only Ford are going to authorize a repair/replacement turbo as appropriate. You seem to have had a reasonable response from CRC so far so I would pursue that line, though a dealer would have to be involved to carry out any work. Ford have issued a service bulletin on this issue (TSB 16-2088 according to others on this thread.) 

Ford have been cleaning and painting the pipes with some special specification paint when they have started rusting. Yours looks well beyond that. So don’t accept that.

I had a coolant leak from the water pump a few months ago and the engine defaulted to limp mode. It didn't show any fault code though. I suspect Ford have, at some point, altered the coding to include coolant loss into the reasons for initiating limp mode but either couldn't or wouldn't include a fault code in that coding. I have no idea if they all do that or only from a certain date. Mine is the last of the Mk7.5s. If yours does that then at least you'll have better warning of pipe failure.

52 minutes ago, Popshot said:

I had a coolant leak from the water pump a few months ago and the engine defaulted to limp mode. It didn't show any fault code though. I suspect Ford have, at some point, altered the coding to include coolant loss into the reasons for initiating limp mode but either couldn't or wouldn't include a fault code in that coding. I have no idea if they all do that or only from a certain date. Mine is the last of the Mk7.5s. If yours does that then at least you'll have better warning of pipe failure.

Did your engine "cook" itself or is it still running ok ? I mean coolant loss can destroy these engines.

Engine is fine. The limp mode cut in early enough to save it.

Just checked mine - 3.5 years old and have very slight area rust.  I know this thread is long - does anyone who painted theirs have any feedback on the product used and did it stop any further rusting?  

IMG_0694 2019-10-26 14_42_39.JPG

A month ago I painted mine with Alkyton heat resistant paint. It isnt difficult, but buy the smallest brush you can get 🙂

So far it seems OK.

On 10/21/2019 at 1:51 AM, Popshot said:

There’s a thread on here somewhere that discusses the improvements to later 1.0 Ecoboosts: an additional temp sensor and a low fluid level alarm. I think it was for late 2016 and onwards cars. 

• Like 1

On 10/26/2019 at 5:44 PM, Jusitne said:

Just checked mine - 3.5 years old and have very slight area rust.  I know this thread is long - does anyone who painted theirs have any feedback on the product used and did it stop any further rusting?  

IMG_0694 2019-10-26 14_42_39.JPG

Just get some sandpaper and grind the rust away. Then paint it with heat resistant paint with a really small brush. And repaint it in one or two years if needed. I did this and so far it seems to have prevented the rusting. 

I used some heat resistant paint that is in the picture. 

Screenshot_20191028-135017__01.jpg

• Like 1

My new Mk 8 ecoboost has a matt grey coating on these pipes rather than the shiny finish on my mk7.5

36 minutes ago, Piston Head said:

My new Mk 8 ecoboost has a matt grey coating on these pipes 

Interesting - I wonder when this was introduced?  My 2018 (pic on page 11 of this thread) still has the shiny pipes. Have you spotted any other differences?

This is mine - March 2017.   Still the shiny tubes but absolutely no sign of rust.   Anyone know what the yellow and blue paint denotes?

DSCN4000.jpg

5 hours ago, Piston Head said:

My new Mk 8 ecoboost has a matt grey coating on these pipes rather than the shiny finish on my mk7.5

Yep my new MK8 St-Line 140 has the matt grey finish and the turbo under a different heat shield compared  to the MK7

2 hours ago, Bobr said:

This is mine - March 2017.   Still the shiny tubes but absolutely no sign of rust. 

After 3 years and over 30,000 miles on my 2016 ST-Line 140 my pipes looked like yours Bob, didn't have the coloured paint though if my memory serves me correctly.

The different heat shield arrangement I suspect is because the engine is now fitted with a particulate filter.

IMG_1786.jpg

IMG_1788.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Piston Head said:

The different heat shield arrangement I suspect is because the engine is now fitted with a particulate filter.

Here's a pic of my 2018 which has no particulate filter but still has the shiny pipes. Seems to be the same heatshield arrangement.

IMG_20190308_100142_hdr.jpg