Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2013 1.0l Ecoboost engine rust. Problem?

2013Ecoboost

1 hour ago, Nick Y said:

Should've made it a bit clearer. I have a very late MK7.5 model (registered end of June 2017). It is showing signs of rust on the 2 turbo pipes. 

Same with me. My MK7.5 was registered in May 2017 and both pipes showed some rusting after a few months. I cleaned them up and now I just grease the pipes each year when I service the car. The grease has stopped the rust coming back.

16 minutes ago, Matt Alsop said:

Same with me. My MK7.5 was registered in May 2017 and both pipes showed some rusting after a few months. I cleaned them up and now I just grease the pipes each year when I service the car. The grease has stopped the rust coming back.

I think I need to find someone local to me who can carry out the work to protect the pipes. 
I might ask my local indy garage where I take it to for servicing to look into what needs to be done to stop it. 

36 minutes ago, Nick Y said:

I think I need to find someone local to me who can carry out the work to protect the pipes. 
I might ask my local indy garage where I take it to for servicing to look into what needs to be done to stop it. 

Would your car not be eligible for the official Ford fix for minor rusting, Nick? (Epoxy coating as mentioned early in the thread - though the diy high temperature paint some members have gone for does look neater)

5 hours ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Would your car not be eligible for the official Ford fix for minor rusting, Nick? (Epoxy coating as mentioned early in the thread).

No idea as the car is now out of warranty. 

• 2 months later...

Hi guys, its been a while since I posted in the forum as the car has gone to my partner (still in the fam).

When I had the car for 2 years the pipes were looking pretty pristine. I had to jump start my car using the Fiesta today and noticed the pipes are pretty badly corroded now (I can get a photo tomorrow). There is a quite large spot of corrosion on one pipe in the same location as the failed pipe on page 20 of this thread.

The car is a 2015 Ford Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost 100PS with 60k miles.

My questions:

• Do you think Ford would be likely to cover the cost of a turbo replacement as its well out of warranty (despite this being a pretty catastrophic quality issue).
  • If not, what course of action do you guys think I should take? I am not sure about wire brushing or sanding the pipes down as I don't know how thin the metal is under the rusted areas.

Thanks in advance peeps! 😊

• 3 months later...

2018 Mk8 Fiesta, currently approx 30k miles.

Late last year I noticed and felt a small blemish on metal turbo coolant pipes, worst on bottom of upper pipe. I tried to take pics at Christmas but weren't that good. Today I took some more, but this time with aid of a mirror.

Am I the first owner of a Mk8 with this problem? I should have possibly posted it earlier as warranty ran out end of Feb.

rsz_img_20210531_175418147_hdr.jpg

rsz_img_20210221_162307620_2.jpg

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Jim H said:

Am I the first owner of a Mk8 with this problem? 

That's disappointing, Jim. As I mentioned on another thread mine (checked again today!) are absolutely fine.

Are you going to raise it with Ford?  Other owners have had some success out of warranty though looking at your photos they don't seem bad enough for a turbo replacement. So could be the epoxy paint - or there are lots of diy suggestions on this thread.

9 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

That's disappointing, Jim. As I mentioned on another thread mine (checked again today!) are absolutely fine.

Are you going to raise it with Ford?  Other owners have had some success out of warranty though looking at your photos they don't seem bad enough for a turbo replacement. So could be the epoxy paint - or there are lots of diy suggestions on this thread.

I was planning to just keep an eye on them, hopefully won't get as worse as some of the ones on this thread. I may as people have done on here, emery, then treat (krust) and paint with VHT paint. Not planning (yet) to contact Ford about it.

• 10 months later...

Sorry to bring this back up, but after reading the whole thread, I have an interesting addition from Ford CRC.

I have a 2016 Fiesta and it too is showing signs of corrosion.

A Ford dealer has quoted just under £1,400 to fit a new turbo, which sounds a bargain compared to the price of a new engine.

That said, speaking with Ford CRC they said:

388436308_Screenshot2022-04-04at14_46_26.png.a486c4371d47dd3d28100c034c3ef52e.png

And yet, my 16 plate Fiesta also has corroding pipes...

Does that mean:

A. Ford are right, it is actually fixed on newer models and the rust isn't anything to worry about any more, or...

B. Ford are ignoring the issue, particularly on newer models?

I think it's 'A'.   I've had two 2017 Fiestas (One was stolen) and neither of them had the slightest sign of rust on the turbo pipes.   The pipes look shinier that those on earlier models that I had had and I think that the formulation of the metal might be different.

Just now, Bobr said:

I think it's 'A'.   I've had two 2017 Fiestas (One was stolen) and neither of them had the slightest sign of rust on the turbo pipes.   The pipes look shinier that those on earlier models that I had had and I think that the formulation of the metal might be different.

Hmm... That's interesting to hear, Bob.

It does seem luck of the draw, and while each individual owner, location etc all play a part in the overall condition, I find it worrying that my 16 plate (and many others with 'newer' models) are also suffering the same issue.

Ford seem to think 'newer models are fixed' but it's clearly not all of them...

I wonder if I were to fork out for a new turbo myself, I would benefit from the newer pipes?

I'd just save your money for now, you might need it for a new engine at some point and then shiny new pipes will be the least of your worries.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, unofix said:

I'd just save your money for now, you might need it for a new engine at some point and then shiny new pipes will be the least of your worries.

Many thanks for your comment!

My thinking was by not replacing the turbo now, that could result in the need for a new engine due to coolant leaks? In other words, fixing the most stressed/weakest part of the engine to prevent larger damage.

Is this not the right way to think about this?

Most (but not all) 1.0 Ecoboost engines fail due to problems with oil pressure (or lack of). The wet belts on these engines are a well known problem especially if the engine has not had very regular oil and filter changes using the correct Ford specification oil.

Turbo failure is far less common and is normally a result of oil pressure failure at the same time as the engine fails. The degas pipes were/are known to be a problem on earlier engines but they should have been replaced by Ford as part of the recall.

Unless your car comes with an impeccable 100% full Ford service history then the very first thing I'd do is get it fully serviced by a Ford main dealer.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, unofix said:

Most (but not all) 1.0 Ecoboost engines fail due to problems with oil pressure (or lack of). The wet belts on these engines are a well known problem especially if the engine has not had very regular oil and filter changes using the correct Ford specification oil.

Turbo failure is far less common and is normally a result of oil pressure failure at the same time as the engine fails. The degas pipes were/are known to be a problem on earlier engines but they should have been replaced by Ford as part of the recall.

Unless your car comes with an impeccable 100% full Ford service history then the very first thing I'd do is get it fully serviced by a Ford main dealer.

Many thanks for the advice, I think I will do just that!

This has also caused me to add the 'unlimited' warranty offered by Cinch for peace of mind incase the engine does implode.

11 minutes ago, unofix said:

The degas pipes were/are known to be a problem on earlier engines but they should have been replaced by Ford as part of the recall.

Afaik this affected the Focus rather than the Fiesta.

Certainly a good idea to raise the turbo pipes issue with a Ford dealer. As you will see from earlier in this thread, some owners have succeeded in getting a new turbo out of Ford, others have had the epoxy coating applied.

If you stick to the Ford recommended 10 year interval, you will be needing that £1400 for a timing belt change in 4 years or so.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eric Bloodaxe said:

Afaik this affected the Focus rather than the Fiesta.

Certainly a good idea to raise the turbo pipes issue with a Ford dealer. As you will see from earlier in this thread, some owners have succeeded in getting a new turbo out of Ford, others have had the epoxy coating applied.

If you stick to the Ford recommended 10 year interval, you will be needing that £1400 for a timing belt change in 4 years or so.

Thanks for your comment!

I tend to change cars every two or three years, so with this being a 16 plate, I am planning to have shifted it before requiring such a service (and providing it doesn't kill itself before then!).

• Haha 1

• 4 months later...
On 4/4/2022 at 4:25 PM, RadicalRooster said:

Thanks for your comment!

I tend to change cars every two or three years, so with this being a 16 plate, I am planning to have shifted it before requiring such a service (and providing it doesn't kill itself before then!).

Hi All I am hoping someone can help. I have had a failure of a eco boost 1.0 2014 engine - the coolant pipe has rusted right through. I am currently in ‘discussion’ with Ford. This thread has been really helpful. I was hoping someone may actually have a copy of the key TSB document mentioned TSB 16-2088. 
Any help would be really appreciated.

thanks

Hi All,

I am hoping someone can help???

I have had a failure of a eco boost 1.0 2014 engine - the coolant pipe has rusted right through. I am currently in ‘discussion’ with Ford. This thread has been really helpful. I was hoping someone may actually have a copy of the key TSB document mentioned TSB 16-2088. 

thanks

1 hour ago, Andrew123 said:

Hi All,

I am hoping someone can help???

I have had a failure of a eco boost 1.0 2014 engine - the coolant pipe has rusted right through. I am currently in ‘discussion’ with Ford. This thread has been really helpful. I was hoping someone may actually have a copy of the key TSB document mentioned TSB 16-2088. 

thanks

Unless you have a full Ford dealer service stamp for every year you have no chance.

On 10/3/2018 at 5:20 PM, Botus said:

was this already posted?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-45628325

Ford has offered to refund thousands of pounds to customers whose engines have failed, following a BBC investigation.

Hundreds of customers have said their cars with Ford EcoBoost engines have overheated, causing engine failure.

Others have reported their cars with 1.6-litre EcoBoost engines have burst into flames while they were driving.

Many 1.0-litre drivers had been told they had to pay for repairs, but Ford has now said it will cover the cost and refund customers who have already paid.

It will be interesting to see what happens here. That bbc news item was 4 years ago.   The car in question here is now 8 years old. Not sure where you draw the line on how long something should last. I’m not all that optimistic about the chances of Ford paying. 

• Like 1

On 8/12/2022 at 8:19 AM, isetta said:

It will be interesting to see what happens here. That bbc news item was 4 years ago.   The car in question here is now 8 years old. Not sure where you draw the line on how long something should last. I’m not all that optimistic about the chances of Ford paying. 

I'll second that. Will be interesting if we ever hear the outcome of this on an 8 year old car.

Have any reports been heard of successfully drilling out these pipes and welding or epoxy resin fitting in some replacement?

At 8 years I can't think that Ford will be doing anything/

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/12/2017 at 4:46 PM, JW1982 said:

Ford Denmark stated that this problem only affects the 100 HP and 125 HP version of the 1.0 ECOboost. The 140 HP version has a different turbo and is not affected.

During production of the 1.0 ECOboost engine Ford used a few different turbo's. Which turbo is installed depends on production date and power output of the engine. The 125 HP version in my 2013 Focus MK3 for example has exactly the same turbo as the 140 HP version. 

well mine has rusted, mine is the 140bhp will take it up with ford

• Sad 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club