Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2013 1.0l Ecoboost engine rust. Problem?

2013Ecoboost

I should point out that I am assuming these coolant pipes are sitting more at the temperature of the coolant (~90ºC) rather than that of the exhaust gases (many hundreds?) but perhaps if this is not the case then that is why the epoxy primer is being recommended.

Edit: I've found this epoxy primer which goes upto 1093ºC so perhaps there is a difference with these sorts of products!

2 hours ago, MJNewton said:

I've yet to have the work done as the goodwill voucher only came through yesterday. The thing is, the voucher can actually be used for any servicing/parts (excl. fuel and lubricants) and so I'm wondering if I should perform the work myself and spend the voucher on something else. The main driver is actually that I'm not keen on the thought of a mechanic chucking paint around my engine bay as even the photo in the TSB didn't seem to suggest that neatness of application was of any importance!

If I do do it myself I think I may just go for a standard Hammerite paint as it ought to exhibit all the required properties in terms of temperature (upto 150ºC), longevity, corrosion resistance etc. Available in a variety of colours too! ;-)

i would recomend you do it your self. you dont want a grease monkey painting your pipes. lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No, quite. Any thoughts on what best to use (if you think it really matters either way?)? 

My local hardware store recommended a paint used on outdoor BBQ's and grills. Extremely high temperature resistance and all weather corrosion protection. I'm not sure it would be as good with the temperature cycling. Perhaps that's why Ford are recommending the epoxy. I assume also high temp. I'll check the temperature of the pipes next time I drive my car. 

• Like 1

Yes, I was thinking some sort of stove paint myself. I would've thought it'd be ideal and many of them dry a nice matte black so ought to look quite neat.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, MJNewton said:

The thing is, this thread is talking about 2013 cars, all of which are coming up for 4 years old now with problems present at the time of manufacture still being found! 

So true,if this is still popping up now on 2016 reg and newer cars there got to be something wrong in a big way on these parts.

Are there any reason why these pipes for the turbo have to be steel,sure there is a better high temp rubber/plactic part what could of been made seeing they changed

years ago the radiators on cars to this plastic as my mate moulds parts and ford are VERY very strict,he does the top of radiators and puts the brass insets in and other

parts.

Well, my Fiesta now has a new turbo and degas hose too. Total cost for turbo and labour was £1090, thankfully the mechanic at trust ford has described the original turbo rust as a manufacturers design fault so Ford CRC are currently negotiating how much they will contribute to the cost.

• Thanks 1

Ford have agreed to cover 100% of the repair cost. Delighted!

Thanks all for your help, without the knowledge on this board i'd have continued driving the car and would now be facing the repair costs of a new engine.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 30/09/2017 at 1:25 AM, ThaiFiesta said:

I'll check the temperature of the pipes next time I drive my car. 

So after a 30 minute drive at 80-120kmh in 30 degree C ambient heat the pipes reached 94 degrees C. The turbo body was 144. I'd expect the pipes wouldn't get over 125 degrees C, as that is what I've read the cutout temperature for the engine is. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I asked Hammerite about using their smooth black direct to rust paint. This was their reply

'Hammerite direct to rust would be okay for temperatures in the 80-90 degree margin.

There is a product called Hammerite High Heat  which comes in a black spray  and can take temperatures of 600 degrees'.

Hope this is of use.

• Thanks 1

I have cleaned and painted mine in silver with  direct to rust and after a long trip up and down a motorway and the paint is so far perfect so I am sure it will be ok as water is flowing in these pipes all the time.

The data sheet does state a permissible intermittent temperature range of -20°C to 150°C but only a maximum of 80°C continuous. At a running temperature of ~90°C that's pushing things and arguably not worth the risk in my opinion. The high temperature versions states that it has been 'Developed to resist cracking and flaking' and so that is presumably what the consequences might well be for the normal stuff when pushed beyond its limits over the long term.

• Like 1

After a number of telephone conversations with Ford and being directed to dealers up to 30 miles away I thought I'd try to sort it myself:

IMG_0166 copy.jpg

• Like 1

Please keep us posted on how well it lasts  eg. rust coming back through or flaking or bubbling of the paint

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Andrew_S-Wales said:

After a number of telephone conversations with Ford and being directed to dealers up to 30 miles away I thought I'd try to sort it myself:

Spray or brushed on?

9 hours ago, isetta said:

Please keep us posted on how well it lasts  eg. rust coming back through or flaking or bubbling of the paint

Will do.

9 hours ago, ThaiFiesta said:

Spray or brushed on?

Brushed, used VHT paint from Halfords.

On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 8:13 PM, 2013Ecoboost said:

Well, my Fiesta now has a new turbo and degas hose too. Total cost for turbo and labour was £1090, thankfully the mechanic at trust ford has described the original turbo rust as a manufacturers design fault so Ford CRC are currently negotiating how much they will contribute to the cost.

Sorry just to clarify, Is the rust on the turbo housing normal ? or was the trust ford mechanic saying that that was a design fault and they replaced the whole turbo not just the rusty pipes ?

9 hours ago, Doylie said:

Sorry just to clarify, Is the rust on the turbo housing normal ? or was the trust ford mechanic saying that that was a design fault and they replaced the whole turbo not just the rusty pipes ?

Pipes are pressed in so not a simple replacement. Cheaper for Ford to replace the whole turbo. Surface rust on the turbo seems to be normal 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/30/2017 at 11:42 AM, jace1969 said:

So true,if this is still popping up now on 2016 reg and newer cars there got to be something wrong in a big way on these parts.

And on that note here is a picture of the pipes in my 66 plate (13 months old) 125 Ecoboost. The rust is deep enough to flake off with a thumb nail.

20171107_120731.jpg

• Sad 1

ouch, that looks bad id get that into ford asap. my 65 plate has a very small spot of surface rust now that I've checked. is it worth painting the pipes to prevent problems down the road?

Yes, painting them is the recommended mitigation against further corrosion. Have a read back through the thread for further discussion and details. 

• Like 1

"And on that note here is a picture of the pipes in my 66 plate (13 months old) 125 Ecoboost. The rust is deep enough to flake off with a thumb nail."

That is pretty bad for 13 months old. Ford really have cocked up on this if that's what is happening at such an early age. I don't know if those pipes are made by a sub-contractor but if they are I assume there was a detailed spec they are to be made to with regard to the metal and the plating (I assume it is some kind of steel with plating (electroplating?) . Perhaps the sub-contractor is cutting corners. If so I would imagine Ford are pursuing them for recompense. Or perhaps the spec was just wrong and not good enough.

If that was mine I would be pushing ford for replacement, not just a bit of sanding and coating as that is not really just a slight bit of surface rust, it is already eating into the metal, and as we all now, it is imperative that you never get a coolant leak on these cars as the engines are wrecked in next to no time if the coolant leaks.

• Like 1

all seams a bit random what ages and power outputs suffering. would have thought my 100hp turbo would be affected as its 4 yrs old . as ive previously posted my turbo up , its imaculate, not a spot of rust.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club