Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auto Main / Dipped Beam

Edge of Reason

I have had my Edge now since the end of January and it has had a few little gremlins but nothing I have had to take to the dealer yet as they have rectified themselves. 

Last night when driving home my auto main/dipped beam stopped working. At first it wouldn't dip, but would go to high beam after a car passed, then it wouldn't do either dip or main beam automatically. I tried the standard fault rectification of stop, turn off and re-start, which normally clears electrical gremlins but it didn't fix it. I rarely drive in the dark so don't know how long this hasn't worked for. Has anyone else had this issue and have you fixed it ?

My headlights decided not to dip automatically or be adaptive on the way to work on Saturday morning. First real problem I've encountered. Thankfully they did fix themselves before I got to work. 

I have not had this problem with my Edge (though I have had quite a few other problems). Just a thought, could the little window where the front facing camera is be fogged up causing the sensor to malfunction. As noticed one day on my car that was fogged up causing lane assist problem (different from when lane assist totally stopped working in my car).

Dave

Good point Dave. If it happens again I'll check. Dread having to go to the dealer with a problem after reading some of the horror stories on this forum! 

Good point Dave. I hadn't noticed the window misted up, but the temperature had dropped while I was out and when I got in the car I put the heater up, so it is possible that the sensor was affected. 

I've read that you have to go over a certain speed for it to auto dip/full beam. I just picked up my edge and the salesman was smiling like a Cheshire cat when he was telling me about the auto beam etc....That first evening I went out to asda for a few bits (healthy stuff,honest) and tried it out. People were waving (I think it was waving!) and flashing their lights at me, I thought I had a new bunch of fans now I've joined the Ford club!! But how was I to know I was on full beam in their faces. salesman only told me half the story. There is a lot to understand about this car. So much reading to do.

My lights seemed back to normal yesterday. Just another little gremlin. 

Just done a test on a perfectly dark road ... auto main/dip ONLY goes onto high beam at 25 MPH or above and if you slow down, they auto dip at 18 MPH. This is without any other light to trigger them. They will also dip if you get a reflection off a road sign. Someone must have thought that on a pitch black country lane that at 18 mph you only need to see about 5 yds infront of you!! Maybe I need to eat more carrots 🤓

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club