Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford S-max 2.0 zetec tdci powershift 140 Enngine Malfunction warning, Ì warning and extremely slow throttle response from stop position

Extrovert

Hi All

I have just signed up and I am very optimistic in finding answers to my queries.  Thanking in advance.

I have recently bought 2013 ford s-max zetec 2.0 tdci powershift 140 from an auction.  I max a decision after having driven the same car but with manual transmission hoping the auto would be the same. However the car is extremeky sluggish especially when setting from a dead stop.  It's so sluggish that i think it will be impossible to drive it on junction and pulling off from round about.  I hope don someone who has the same car can suggest whether it's just my car or this is how the auto drives.

To add to my worries I have an engine malfunction light on the dash which disappears as soon as the car starts.  It also has an 'í' warning in dash but I dont know whether these warning lights are an indication of a problem causing sluggish drive.

Please help as this is my first Ford and I haven't got a clue of what to do.  The pictures attached show both warning lights and their disappearance when engine is running.  Finally,  the car is a 2013 plate, from London and has 17000 miles on block suggesting shorter journeys and low miles got the age. Wing side mirror is broken. Thanks20170910_193641.thumb.jpg.da8e7ee3ff7d9181c173fc0a63bc2cb8.jpg

Screenshot_20170911-214458.png

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Extrovert

• iantt

• Ryan_Tango

they are normaly reasonably quick to pull away. you need to get any dtcs (diagnostic trouble codes) read. either at a garage or buy a code reader. not all code reader can pick up all codes though.

too many issues could cause your problem.

some codes and we could offer some advise.

Thanks for your reply. I had an obd2 bluetooth device which I used with Carista app, no fault codes were picked up.  The obd2 device previously picked up codes for my Audi A5.  Can you suggest a reasonably priced code reader which will pick up errors codes.  Do you have any examples of codes which may cause my issue? Should I expect a massive repair bill? 

sorry i cant recomend a code reader, i dont require one so not had to search .

a good alternative if you have laptop is an adapter called elm 327. usb to 16pin dlc connecetor. in conjunction with free software called forscan. this combo will read any dtcs and monitor sensors etc. lots of people on here use it and can advise .

just do a google for forscan.

the elm 327 can be bought off eBay but you have to be aware of copied rubbish.

will try to find link to a reliable source of this. only about £15 ish i think

theres hundreds of codes and multiple issues so i wouldnt hazard a guess.

5 minutes ago, iantt said:

Thanks for your reply. I had an obd2 bluetooth device which I used with Carista app, no fault codes were picked up.  The obd2 device previously picked up codes for my Audi A5.  Can you suggest a reasonably priced code reader which will pick up errors codes.  Do you have any examples of codes which may cause my issue? Should I expect a massive repair bill? 

Thanks,  I did find some by google search but wasnt sure which one will work as there was a massive difference in the price.  I will go with the one you posted. Thanks

once you have read the codes we can go from there. i doubt its anything expensive at that age and mileage

I hope so as I really enjoyed driving the manual version and was expecting better from auto.  Fingers crossed.

Do you reckon I should get the bluetooth version or desktop one?

i would get usb version . more reliable esp if you end up using other functions of forscan.

Already ordered the bluetooth version before your response. My bad.  

I will update over the weekend.

Getting your fuel filter would also be a great idea, I change mine and my families every 12 months as they do get blocked and throw engine malfunction errors.

Good shout Ryan. Thanks

I will replace it too.

Hi,  I used obd sensor with torque app  and it did not pick up any fault codes.

Cars own test menu however highlighted DTC #1 C15100, DTC#2 C40268 and DTC #3 C41668. 

Does it mean obd adapter is faulty?

I notice car drives slightly better is S  I.e. semi auto gears however there is still a gap between pressing the throttle paddle and the car moving.  I also notice that regardless of how hard I press the throttle pedal on motorway sometimes kick down does not work and there is significant gap before kick down works.

Regardless of the above car drives on motorway speeds, starts fine. Car has full dealer service history.

Is it his the powershift drives or I am just over thinking.

Thanks for any comments/suggestions.

Thanks

20170915_202733.jpg

20170915_202729.jpg

As the obd adapter didnt work. I took the car to a local garage who used snap on code reader.  The pictures attached show the defect identified.  What should be my next step.

20170916_131528.thumb.jpg.40f727dd23f59391898f4d3efc2aff9a.jpg

ignore the pcm de ennergied dtc.
you could have a throttle pedal issue. needs the data checking while throttle operated
what bluetooth adapter did you get?

I ordered the one you suggested above but a bluetooth version.  I drove about 180 miles today and a new warning light came up in speedometer section I.e. an exclamation mark in brackets. See new picture attached.

IMG-20170916-WA0013.jpg

I bought Torque app,  it didn't work. I will try and get a laptop with bluetooth fro my friend. Will give it a try again if it doesn't work I will send it back.

forscan has different versions depending on what device you are using. so as you have bluetooth you can download for android or ios,

windows version is free but looks like forscan charges a small amount for ios and android.

I downloaded forscan app and it wirk brilliantly. It has helped me clear all dtcs and it picks up the throttle position send it error now.  Shall I replace the sensor? I have seen a guide for ford galaxy on the link below.

http://www.forum.fordmpv.com/smf2/ford-galaxy-reference-library/galaxy-accelerator-pedal-removal-and-cleaning-(vcds-fault-code-00777-18047)/

Or should I get this a try.

Screenshot_20170917-174810.png

Screenshot_20170917-174815.png

Screenshot_20170917-174822.png

Screenshot_20170917-174831.png

Screenshot_20170917-174842.png

Screenshot_20170917-174849.png

can you read the throttle position parameters( pid)in your version of forscan? if you can then operate the throttle pedal while watching each throttle position sensor.
or buy a pedal and try it.