Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2012 Ranger 2.2 Duratorq 150 PS DPF problems

FlyingBadger

Hi all

I have a 2012 (62) Ranger and I am having all sorts of problems with the DPF.

Over the last couple of months it has been plugged in to Delphi Diagnostics and showing the Soot and Ash accumulation fault codes twice.  Both occasions it has been forced re-genned, everything good for 3 weeks or so then it goes in to limp mode, diagnosed again and same Soot and Ash codes.

After the second re-gen I decided to get the DPF off the Ranger and get it cleaned.  After cleaning the values were reset, Ranger was OK for less than a week, then went in to limp mode, left it for half hour or so and all back to normal, then pretty much as soon as i ask for any power above 2800/3000rpm it goes in to limp mode again, turn it off, leave it and all is fine again until I ask for power again!!

It has been diagnosed again and only showing Soot accumulation not Soot and Ash so I am assuming the DPF clean worked.

I have spoken to Ford and they advised changing the exhaust temp sensor as they are replacing loads of them.

Just wanting to know if anyone has experienced this as there seems to be 4 or 5 sensors and the Vaporiser that control/are connected to the DPF and I don't just want to start replacing sensors etc without at least checking they are faulty.

Not sure if it has done a re-gen on its own but every time it has been plugged in it is showing zero hot runs, so from that I am assuming it is not able to auto re-gen, I have read that the Vaporisers block up and this is the first thing to check.

Any thoughts, info or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jim  

So I have downloaded ForScan and I am getting the following DTC's:

P244C - Catalyst temperature too low during regeneration - Bank 1

P246C - DPF restriction - Forced limited power

P2463 - DPF - Soot accumulation 

I haven't had the P244C code before so does point to one of the exhaust temp sensors?

Thanks in advance

Jim

Don't know if it's the same on the Ranger but I bet the fuel vaporiser is blocked and therefore unable to inject diesel in to the exhaust to raise the temps for a regen and thus blocking the dpf.

I replaced the vaporiser on my Mondeo 2.2 in March after getting similar codes.

templow.JPG.eebdaa4c270277099337a4d68873aa94.JPGLivedata.JPG.5421625098b288cdca8b5e9cc6742557.JPGVaporiser.thumb.jpg.d3fc235ddb721f58d7207a11d8bfa8f4.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies Frembrit & Iantt.

Is it just a matter of removing the vaporiser and blowing some compressed air through to see if its blocked or is there something I can run on ForScan to check its functioning as it should?

Thanks

Jim

Right..so I went ahead and removed the vaporiser, I tried blowing through the metal fuel line tube, (the right angled one), and nothing getting through, should this be fully clear or does a valve open and close when the re-gen is requested?

Thanks

Jim

no valve, should be easy enough to blow through. there will be carbon build up on the end of the pipe. if you can get vaporiser off, sometimes it just a case of getting a pick and digging the carbon out. or use a small drill to get carbon out.

Thanks for your replies iantt

Yes the DPF end is blocked, I have left it sitting in carbon cleaner over night, I have managed to clear the DPF end but still not able to get any air through.

I have even connected a pipe so I can use compressed air and it is just filling the pipe with air then blowing off.

I have ordered a new vaporiser this morning which will be here this afternoon so hopefully get this problem sorted.

Thanks

Jim

Hi all

New vaporiser fitted, re-gen got to 59% then said it had failed.

It smoked during the 1st 15% and was hot as **** till 35%.

DPF load % before fitting new vaporiser was 207% and after re-gen it is 19%.

DPF soot % before fitting new vaporiser was 197% and after re-gen it is 157%.

ForScan advises doing another re-gen so I will carry that in the morning see if I can get the DPF Soot % down.

Does any of the above info point to anything else or can it take a few times to burn all the soot off?  Bearing in mind it probably hasn't re-genned for a good 3 months!!

Thanks all

Jim

will probably need a few goes as its that bad, i did a transit last week that had only done 6000 miles and was 213% , it wasnt regening due to a broken wire on the intake temp sensor. it had gone into limp mode due to the high soot loading.

took 2 regens to get it down. 

8 minutes ago, iantt said:

will probably need a few goes as its that bad, i did a transit last week that had only done 6000 miles and was 213% , it wasnt regening due to a broken wire on the intake temp sensor. it had gone into limp mode due to the high soot loading.

took 2 regens to get it down. 

Thanks for your reply iantt

I will re-gen in the morning and see if it comes down.

Wow 6k and 213% that is bad.

Thanks

Jim

Right

I have re-genned it again this morning, got to 59% again and failed, DPF soot still at 157%.

Only a bit of smoke when the re-gen started and it revved up to 2500 RPM.

Exhaust tailpipe no where near as hot as 1st re-gen.

Only DTC I am getting from ForScan is P2463.

Any views on this?  I don't want to keep forcing re-gen in case I damage something else.

I just had a local firm clean the DPF, they said some came out but not loads, is it worth getting the DPF cleaned again now the vaporiser is working or is this pointing to a really badly blocked DPF and needs replacing? 

Thanks again

Jim

On a side note, do I need to reset any of the values with ForScan now I have fitted a new vaporiser?

I did try resetting the DTC prior to running the re-gen, just in case that was stopping it in some way, and the DTC just comes straight back when I cycle the ignition, so no way of removing it until the DPF is clear, or is there?

Thanks

Jim

No resetting of dpf. DTC will clear once regeneration has been done successfully.

Thanks iantt

I decided to take Ranger for a run, smoked like a good one for a good few miles, cog light went out after 1st re-gen but EML stayed on.

EML has now gone out, so I am hoping that has solved the problem.

Going to run it for a couple of days, hopefully without any problems, then check the percentages again.

As a general rule of thumb is there an approximate percentage per mileage the DPF will accumulate soot at?

DPF load was still at 19% when I got back from the drive and the DPF soot has gone down to 17%.

Thanks

Jim

No idea on soot accumulation on mileage . Those levels are fine now. Normally after fitting vaporiser you carry out a fuel bleed so the fuel has filled up vaporiser. Probably why yours took a little while to do.

• 1 year later...

Hi Jim,

I'm new here and I would like to know what OBD hardware and software you have been using? I read above you downloaded Forscan, free version for Windows?

I'm having DPF troubles, had the local service (non Ford) to diagnose the Ranger, confirmed DPF blocked, So I decided to remove it and clean it with rim cleaner, water and compressed air and it seem it worked fine, a lot of soot came out, same garage re-diagnose after cleaning and his Bosch Diagnostic said differential pressure ok while was previously above 100%, but still soot accumulation is at 137%, this value cannot be reseted, it seems the only way is to re-gen the DPF, I don't wan't to pay a fortune for that and would like to do it myself but I want to be sure to have the proper tools!

Thanks for help

ED

France

Thanks for the reply, i'll go for one of these ELM327!

Is there any limitation with Forscan or is it fully functionnal?

Sure I will check the vaporiser! I'm pretty sure this is the root cause! I'think I will also install an LED connected to it or to the pump that feeds it because the dashboard's DPF indicator never turned on, only the sort of gear with an exclamation mark went on. I think I will also install a voltmeter on the DPF differential pressure sensor as I could see during last diagnostic, that it returned 0.48V in normal condition!

Thanks again

ED

France

its pretty much fully functional, you can get a free licence for programming in certain circumstances . 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi i have a 2013 Ranger with a engine management light come on, i have a simple obd reader which gave me the p2463 dpf acumulated too much soot, i then chcked the vaporiser which i could blow through and looked fine but i have to replace it as the threads are damaged after removal, i also checked to see if power was getting to the fuel pump that supplies the vaporiser which it is so to me that would mean the pump is faulty... but maybe it's more complicated than that any ideas would be greatly received. Iv'e also ordered a elm 327 cable and will download forscan to help. Also if someone could tell me how the Ranger actively regenerates is it auto or do you need a dealer to do it for you ? 

Thanks

On 12/3/2018 at 1:27 AM, Shaun hay said:

Hi i have a 2013 Ranger with a engine management light come on, i have a simple obd reader which gave me the p2463 dpf acumulated too much soot, i then chcked the vaporiser which i could blow through and looked fine but i have to replace it as the threads are damaged after removal, i also checked to see if power was getting to the fuel pump that supplies the vaporiser which it is so to me that would mean the pump is faulty... but maybe it's more complicated than that any ideas would be greatly received. Iv'e also ordered a elm 327 cable and will download forscan to help. Also if someone could tell me how the Ranger actively regenerates is it auto or do you need a dealer to do it for you ? 

Thanks

I think, others may confirm, that, unless it is in limp mode, DPF automatic regeneration occures randomly every 100 or 200km (60 to 120 miles), I beleive it does when the analogic differential pressure sensor returns that the pressure in the DPF is above a certain value.

I just received this today, I know it's all french!!!...

Plugged it in, took me less than a minute to reset the DPF stored values, limp mode is gone!!! power is back but I think I will clean the DPF manually as I already did again rather than performing a forced regeneration as I've been driving in limp mode for almost three weeks. I don't want the engine to scream during 45 minutes for nothing!

Forscan is just fantastic!

Thanks for your help!