Do Not Sell My Personal Information

125PS on German Autobahn

CyprusPluto

For all those wondering how quick, smooth and quiet the Fiesta Ecoboost is, I found this YouTube video of the car at top speed on a German Autobahn. It actually swayed me in terms of which car I should by to replace my Focus

There is also a night-time one that is less interesting for obvious reasons (you can't see anything beyond the headlights), but it gives a good indication of the acceleration as there is a enlarged speedo in the bottom corner - which I have to be honest is pretty.... err...."nippy". Then again, it does have the same power output as my old Renault 5 GT Turbo, albeit, with more weight to shift

Interesting.

Makes me wince seeing the revs being that high though up to 3rd and 4th gear especially, I hate going above 4k rpm, doesn't feel right. Maybe thats just me.

• Like 1

I've got a 140ps and never had the revs past 5500, there's not enough road around to safely (and out of law enforcement eyesight) to go any higher in 3rd or above, plus 2nd is limited for power output so no fun there

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, lwatson99 said:

Interesting.

Makes me wince seeing the revs being that high though up to 3rd and 4th gear especially, I hate going above 4k rpm, doesn't feel right. Maybe thats just me.

Ha ha ! , my youngest lad  got the 140 STline  a few weeks ago which he took me out for a quick spin in and I just found the high revs made for quicker and smoother gear changes and just add more excitement on a spirited drive 8) so tbh I think you need a test drive then decide as you'll see for yourself the Eco boost is a totally different beast to drive compared to a standard model and even just being a passenger I found the drive really enjoyable even just when pootling down the road .

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jezza54 said:

What speed is he doing here?

Speedo reads about 200kmh (about 125mph); so I'd estimate somewhere between 115 and 120mph

3 minutes ago, CyprusPluto said:

Speedo reads about 200kmh (about 125mph); so I'd estimate somewhere between 115 and 120mph

That's interesting as it's only the 125PS version from the title of this topic. Top speed of the 140ps version is supposed to be 124.9mph according to ford. Reckon the 140ps version could actually exceed the top speed of 124.9mph if the 125ps version is hitting 125mph?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, sioneon said:

I've got a 140ps and never had the revs past 5500, there's not enough road around to safely (and out of law enforcement eyesight) to go any higher in 3rd or above, plus 2nd is limited for power output so no fun there

Around most areas of the country, I totally agree with you, hence I traded in my ST. You'd overtake something only to get stuck behind the car in front of it. The power and the cost of paying for the power that you could never use, seemed pointless. Howeve, there at some remoter parts of the country where you can open up a car for short stints ...... not that I ever did, officer!! :dry: I don't often redline the Fiesta, but the 5-pot of my ST often sung the higher notes :biggrin:

3 minutes ago, HappyJam said:

That's interesting as it's only the 125PS version from the title of this topic. Top speed of the 140ps version is supposed to be 124.9mph according to ford. Reckon the 140ps version could actually exceed the top speed of 124.9mph if the 125ps version is hitting 125mph?

The speedo reads 125mph (200kmh), but that won't be it's actual speed. My 125PS reads 73mph when it's actually doing 70mph (as per satnav).

35 minutes ago, HappyJam said:

I thought the 140PS had lower gearing? In that case it's top speed will likely be less than the 125PS, it'll just get there quicker. 

1 minute ago, ThaiFiesta said:

I thought the 140PS had lower gearing? In that case it's top speed will likely be less than the 125PS, it'll just get there quicker. 

Official Ford figures are 122mph for the 125PS and 125mph for the 140PS

3 hours ago, ThaiFiesta said:

thought the 140PS had lower gearing? In that case it's top speed will likely be less than the 125PS, it'll just get there quicker. 

The 140 bhp version does have shorter gearing but that has no bearing on it's top speed capability. Just because your rev counter has a red line at 6500 rpm does not mean it will be able to reach that in top gear. As you can see in the above video at about 200 kph he's doing just over 4500 rpm, based on that if he were able to reach 6500 rpm in 5th gear he would be doing nearly 290kph, over 170mph.

Also all speedos in cars are set to over read the true speed by around 5% or so  so at an indicated 100 you are probably doing 95 at most.

If I was able to reach ford's claimed 124.9 mph it would be showing more like 132 on the clock, off the scale in my case as it only goes up to 130.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club