Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Awful MPG zetec 1.0 Ecoboost (100)

zak.d

Hi Guys,

I have had my 2013 fiesta ecoboost for 1 year now and have been averaging around 27 mpg I do 100% local mileage with most trips being less than 5 miles. I get around 250 miles on a full tank, is there something wrong with my car?

Thanks

" 100% local mileage with most trips being less than 5 miles "

That's why - you'd be better off with an electric car with those distances  - do you get up to temp?

Worst I get local is around 45 best 58 (on a 400 mile round motorway trip)

27 still seems a bit low for a manual. Possibly not for an auto.

My Focus ST used to do better than 27 on 3 miles journeys while I lived at my parents house.

It's a manual, i'm not sure if i get up to temp, how do I check?

The temp gauge is part of the digital readout at the top of the instrument cluster.

It's the bars, the optimal temp is between the brackets.

On short stints like that your mileage will be relatively low, although 27mpg is extreme. Mine manages about 37. Like others I manage about 50-55mpg on longer journeys and once it's warmed up.

Are you using the data from the trip computer? If so, calculate your mpg using the milometer and the amount you have to put in next time you fill up - in other words, a bit of simple mathematics. My ST's trip computer was pessimistic and my present Fiesta's trip computer is optimistic

When i first got mine (140) , the fuel consumption was sky high, mpg was right down.

Was told that after about 250 - 300 miles it would settle down and it has.

Why is this? Does the engine have a run in period , pre set?

50mpg ! now that would be something. I am using the data from the trip computer, i'll try that method at next fill up, hopefully i'll be pleasantly surprised!

The engine takes up to 100 miles to fully learn itself.

Tyres, brakes, clutch etc need a bit of bedding in.

I can't think of anything which would cause such low MPG a year later. Unless you over-rev it everywhere.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, zak.d said:

Hi Guys,

I have had my 2013 fiesta ecoboost for 1 year now and have been averaging around 27 mpg I do 100% local mileage with most trips being less than 5 miles. I get around 250 miles on a full tank, is there something wrong with my car?

Thanks

I have the same car same year and my average trip is less than 3 miles.   I'm disabled so I have to use the car for really short trips to the shops.   I still get better than 37 mpg.

I reckon there something wrong.

Have you reset the avg mpg display to zero? It may be that you have a long term average displayed, this may not reflect your current usage.

Tap the trip computer button until you see avg mpg displayed then hold the button in, you should see the current figures change into - - - - dashes.

Now drive the car as you would on a normal trip. At first the avg value will change quite a bit as you accelerate and brake and change gear etc... but after a few days it should settle down into an avg mpg that reflects your current usage.

I have the ST-Line 140 bhp (138) version and I currently get about  50-55mpg on my 30 mile round trip commute.

A few weeks ago I did do a number of short 4 mile trips ferrying stuff up to the local dump with a few hours between each trip.

I was getting about 40-42 mpg doing that.

Incidently I have checked the displayed avg mpg figure against the real calculated value and it's actually fairly close, display is about 3% optimistic in my tests.

Omg I don't want to buy your car, is 5th gear still brand new? Suppose you'll never get any overheating issues 😎. We have transit vans on site (a good dozen or so) that do less than 3 miles per journey. I've yet to see one get more than 8,000 miles before having to go back to Ford due to a problem. 5 years old before the cambelt snapped on one. Gearbox issues on another, relay faults and battery charging problems on a different van. Not to mention the constant DPF problems. All of our vans have a record of 30mpg tops (and that's diesel though).

I wouldn't be surprised if you now have a problem with the car, try going on a decent motorway trip after resetting the mpg calculator and see what you get.

12 hours ago, zak.d said:

Hi Guys,

Thanks

Something wrong there,i have the 1.6 non-eco and also i do very,very local and dont even get hot and i do more than that,mine is around 30 to 33 but

my mates 125 eco fucus dont do a lot more than mine.

There is a lot of funny reading these days,my is just to very local shop and needed if i need to get out fast as im a 24/7 carer at home so cant go drives.

I have done a reset on the trip computer numerous times but it always settles to around 27-28 mpg, i'll try and take it on a long motorway run this weekend and see what I average. Also the sync system says I have done 51% of Journeys on a cold engine.

Does you trip computer have an instant fuel economy reading; ie not an average over the journey, but as it's happening there and then? If so, that will change far more frequently than the average figure.

Once warmed up and when approaching a junction, lift off the accelerator and coast to it, but leave the car in gear. It should read 99.9mpg, basically the highest it can be, because the car should be using next  to no fuel, if any at all. When accelerating, the reading will read about 15-20mpg and could go lower for hard acceleration. The instant reading will tell you where you can improve the economy.

Remember a mass of electronics will also use fuel, such as aircon, heated seats etc. Don't worry about the radio, that doesn't use much. Are you carrying around the weight of average male buffalo of junk in your boot, if so get rid of it!

It's possible you may have to go on a number of drives to loosen the engine. If you've never revved the engine, do so, but only when it's warmed up

in a week I do 24 1 mile journies and 4 3 mile journies and average 42.5 mpg. to max your mpg accelerate gently and slow gradually keeping the car in gear and not using the brakes. decelerating in this manor switches off the fuel injectors so you get the distance travelled for free.

my trip computer is about 5% above the real figure for mpg. the only way to know for sure is doing the maths. Fill up right up to max, note the mileage, use up most of tank, fill up to max again, note the fuel you put in this time, and how many miles done since previous fill up and do the maths (1 gallon = 4.54 litres).

I have worked mine out over the last 14,000 miles (sad, I know)and it is about 59.8 mpg average, but mine is diesel and most journeys are 33miles, I expect some people will tell me that's low, it's certainly low by the official ford figures

Signing up to Fuelly removes the need for the maths, and you can enter your fill-ups by text too.

Incidentally, the average MPG for the 1L Fiesta on there is ~45mpg over 70 vehicles covering around a million miles.

I've found with my zetec s diesel that motorway driving increases my average mpg to 50. Normal driving on 30 roads I got up to 37 - 38mpg. Atm its saying 48mpg and I have been on the motorway a few times but recently doing local driving on 30 roads. 

My car also may have a leaking injector so it could have a better mpg when fixed

21 hours ago, zak.d said:

I have done a reset on the trip computer numerous times but it always settles to around 27-28 mpg, i'll try and take it on a long motorway run this weekend and see what I average. Also the sync system says I have done 51% of Journeys on a cold engine.

Try a few reading online,i have a App on my phone and its a great thing so then i compare 2 or 3 reading once in a while online.

I will try using fuelly and a couple of apps. Also what tyre pressure should I be using my tyres are 195 55 r15 at the moment i'm doing 33 psi fronts and 35psi rears is this correct?

That sounds high at the rear unless you've always got passengers and luggage on board.

Check the passenger door jam for the correct figures. I seem to recall they are 33 front, 26 rear (definitely check though). 

22 minutes ago, MJNewton said:

That sounds high at the rear unless you've always got passengers and luggage on board.

Check the passenger door jam for the correct figures. I seem to recall they are 33 front, 26 rear (definitely check though). 

My plate indicates the same figures as your quoting for a partially laden car. If Zak drives fully laden in terms of people luggage etc then that might explain why he has such high pressures in the rears. With 4/5 people and a full boot, the rears can be as high as 46

The picture is from the web, not my car

58b47e8fc388d_fiestatyrepressure.jpg.3f6c147e8510545409b5137942312d71.jpg

On ‎18‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 2:42 PM, zak.d said:

I will try using fuelly and a couple of apps. Also what tyre pressure should I be using my tyres are 195 55 r15 at the moment i'm doing 33 psi fronts and 35psi rears is this correct?

It may comfort you to know that you're not the only one that doesn't know what tyre pressures to use. A couple of weeks ago I took my car in for a health check; just the basics are checked and topped up. They (a well known franchised and nationwide Ford dealership) did the tyre pressures and put 33 psi all round, upping the rears from the 26 psi I run them at. I noticed because I always check the tyres and their pressure each time I wash my car. That's worrying!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club