Do Not Sell My Personal Information

brakes are really hot and smell like burning

razzle13116

hi i am new to the site and could do with some help 

a week ago i changed my brake discs and pads with a brand new set, it been a week now, i went for a 10 min drive and when i pulled up at my house i got this really strong smell of burning coming from the brakes and the heat coming from them was quite allot. The brakes work fine and have no issues with stopping at all. i can push the car as normal so doesnt seem as if the brakes are binding together.

i dont know weather it is becasue they are new ( but thought it would have bedded in by now ) 

really need some help with this, need to fix it asap !!!

Did you clean the new brake discs with break cleaner to get rid of the surface film

you say you can push the car as normal, but a fair bit of binding would not be noticable when pushing the car. what about if you jack it up and spin the wheel - does it seem ok then. jack up and spin, then apply brake hard and then try spinning again, does it free off well strsight away? of course do both sides.

did the discs have any sort of coating on them, where the pads press on them or on the more central part? 

yeah the parts had a surface film on them and i used brake cleaner before putting them on, i will have to jack the car up tomorrow and have a look to see if the spin ok, if they dont could the be a piston issue with the caliper ? or the pins ? 

dont know if it would make a difference but the disks are 278mm instead of the standard 287mm 

Just took this pic of the brakes and is it me or is the brake pad bot sitting properly or is it ment to be like that ? 

IMG_0538.JPG

New pads have a taper on them at either side so they look ok, don't worry.

Because they're new they WILL smell until all the 'film' that was on them burns off with the heat. New brakes and pads take a few hundred miles of driving to 'bed in' which is why you normally get a bit on the instructions that specifically states you should NOT brake too heavily until they are fully bedded in. Not bedding new brakes in properly can cause brake fade, warped disks, glazed disks & pads and they will not stop the car properly. 

If I remember correctly the Brembos I fitted to my Focus took approximately 2 months before the smell stopped!

A quick Google for 'bedding in new brakes' will explain in more detail why you must bed them in!

Edited by Russ

Thanks for the reply, hopefully that is the case, my main concern was the heat just seemed a bit much for the discs to get that hot. 

Going to jack it up tomorrow and spin the wheels to see if they move freely and normaly 

No hopefully about it, you said you can 'push' the car as normal, of course you will but because the brakes are new they won't be stopping you properly! If they glaze over you'll need to remove them and somehow remove the glaze as it will be rock hard! Bedding in brakes involves allowing minute bits of pad to attach themselves to the disk hence you should NOT be braking heavily until the bedding in process is complete! Don't try going down a long hill whilst applying the brakes heavily as you'll need new underpants! 

• Haha 1

Thanks for the reply russ, really helpfull and just what i needed to hear. Thanks again