Do Not Sell My Personal Information

focus brake caliper spring

antward91

been having trouble with brakes squeaking, had 2 new sets of discs and pads but still the noise comes back only when lightly braking, no noise when braking firmly,

I've noticed that the caliper spring I think it's called? sits on the outside of the caliper, is coming out slightly and can be pushed back in, 

would this have anything to do with the squeaking I'm getting?

13 minutes ago, antward91 said:

been having trouble with brakes squeaking, had 2 new sets of discs and pads but still the noise comes back only when lightly braking, no noise when braking firmly,

I've noticed that the caliper spring I think it's called? sits on the outside of the caliper, is coming out slightly and can be pushed back in, 

would this have anything to do with the squeaking I'm getting?

No the spring isn't the issue as the noise itself is usual down to the brake pad  backplate  rubbing against the surface of the caliper piston and to stop this you usually put a thin smear of copper grease on the brake pad backplate although I usually clean and copper grease the caliper runners where the pads slide too so their will be little chance of the pads sticking and twisting causing uneven contact with the brake disc .. 

1 hour ago, E TEA 66 said:

No the spring isn't the issue as the noise itself is usual down to the brake pad  backplate  rubbing against the surface of the caliper piston and to stop this you usually put a thin smear of copper grease on the brake pad backplate although I usually clean and copper grease the caliper runners where the pads slide too so their will be little chance of the pads sticking and twisting causing uneven contact with the brake disc .. 

so the spring is defiantly nothing to do with it? is it normal for it to slightly pop out of it's holes? 

as for the squeak I have a family friend who fitted the brakes, I know he did grease the back of the plates, is it worth getting him to 're grease them? along with the runners? 

another thing I've noticed is after 3 or 4 hard stops from 40mph it stops squeaking for the next 20 miles or so , seems really weird and very annoying 

You can get this issue with cheap brake pads as the compound is harder hence the noise.  Cooper grease on the back of the pads is usually enough to stop brake noise.  I would try stripping the brakes down cleaning all sliders up and re-greasing these with silicone grease and apply either cooper grease or brake grease to the back of the pads and all pad contact surfaces.  Failing this try some oe pads

1 hour ago, JONATHAN_11_80 said:

You can get this issue with cheap brake pads as the compound is harder hence the noise.  Cooper grease on the back of the pads is usually enough to stop brake noise.  I would try stripping the brakes down cleaning all sliders up and re-greasing these with silicone grease and apply either cooper grease or brake grease to the back of the pads and all pad contact surfaces.  Failing this try some oe pads

thanks, can copper grease be used for everything or do I need silicone grease aswell? 

14 hours ago, antward91 said:

thanks, can copper grease be used for everything or do I need silicone grease aswell? 

Don't get copper grease on any of the rubber seals it can cause the seals to rot/expand and a seized caliper is not something you want on a icy December morning :smile:

I've never come across the caliper spring causing the squeaking issue tbh even when it's popping out of one of the holes slightly and tbh the spring is their to reduce unwanted up n down movement of the caliper and shouldn't really affect the pads that much but it is worth reshaping the spring so it fits better although I doubt it will get rid of the unwanted squeak .

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 4:33 PM, JONATHAN_11_80 said:

As Jonathan has quite rightly  said  about cheap pads being noisy due to the harder compound as they tend to have less grip so allow the discs to continue rotating a lot  more causing more friction and heat hence the tendency to squeak because it's struggles to grip ..

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club